Sample video, interviews at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old December 10th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sample video, interviews

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing this video I produced, full of footage from the LS300. Shot the whole thing in J-LOG, and did a good bit a grading in FCPX. It's talking heads, but shows a nice variety of possibilities with this camera in this situation.

Dave Bittner
Dave Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sample video, interviews

I like the colors but can it be you pushed the grade a bit too hard? The skin looked a bit like what you get after neatvideo treatment, a bit "plastic" like or too smooth and perfect. Don't know, maybe they just looked like that :)

Did you find j-log beneficial in grading the footage? To me it looks it doesn't increase dynamic range, it mainly looks like it takes out all saturation and contrast only and you end up with a look after grading that you can get in camera with ITU709.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

On the skintones, yes, I'm using Magic Bullet Cosmo, so that explains the skin smoothing. It's a deliberate look.

I find log mode provides more latitude in the highlights in particular, and makes grading easier, overall. The catch is that you have to grade everything. I have a starting point preset that I can drop on my clips to give them a neutral look, and then I tweak from there.
Dave Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #4
New Boot

I liked it. With my eyes, color and skin time looked natural. Did you shoot in 4k? Image looks too soft. Here is my first attempt using a JVC GY-HM200 and was cut with Edius 8.1. Just a little color tweaking, that's all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders