JVC LS-300 footage - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old April 18th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: JVC LS-300 footage

Here's an edit of the commercial I shot in J-Log a few weeks ago:

A lot of exteriors in strong sunlight.
It worked well I reckon.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:44 PM   #32
Major Player

Finally shot a wedding with the LS300 (and a GH4 second camera). Used a Nikon 18-200 VR lens with Metabones adapter for the ceremony, and a Olympus 12-40 lens for the reception. I was surprised at how quickly I adjusted to shooting with this camera, after using a Sony EX1R for the last 4 years as my wedding camera. The only thing that i missed was the EX1R's steady shot.

Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 08:04 AM   #33
Major Player

I should have mentioned that this wedding was shot in standard HD, not 4K. The prime zoom feature is terrific for this type of work.
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #34
Trustee

Nice job! Some of the cuts and things I liked was:
the transition at 1:39 becaue it was a bit longer than the usual transition and it kinda represented the major change from the wedding kiss to, what?, the after life (i.e., being married),
the 1:44 bar exit (was this planned?) they were really stoked!,
how you handled the tough exposure backlight situation with the windows at 1:57,
and the segway cut with the bride’s spin at 2:10 because it provided a nice transition into party time.

It’s good to hear you like your new LS300. I think the option to use prime lenses on a camcorder is a real plus.
Nice job and thanks for sharing.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I also thought the color looks nice, that is what I like about the ls300 is that the color is well balanced, I saw that you where shooting in a monopod, If I need to move around I prefer to only use stabilized lenses like the 12-35mmm f2.8. I have tried to shoot handheld with a 15mm f1.7 but even at that wider angle I saw jitter in my footage, a stabilized lens is not a luxury on this camera if you are not on a tripod.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #36
Major Player

Thank you John and Noa for your kind words and insights. Yeah, I love working at that venue (it's only about 15 minutes from my home) but white balance can be difficult in the ballroom, as there are 3 different color temperatures to deal with depending on where you are in the room. The LS300 does handle color balance very nicely though, as Noa pointed out. Good point about using a stabilized lens too. For a wedding I shot last month I used the Panasonic 12-35 lens for the reception instead of the Olympus 12-40, which has no stabilization. My old Sony EX1R had a wonderful steady shot feature that I miss.

I do like using a monopod (Manfrotto 561B). It's easier to move quickly to another spot compared to a tripod. I also have an old "Mighty Wondercam" Mini Rover camera grip, with quick release attachment, that makes going handheld easier and more stable.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:23 AM   #37
Major Player

Here's a couple more jobs I shot on the LS300:

Old September 3rd, 2016, 12:30 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If I need to move around I prefer to only use stabilized lenses like the 12-35mmm f2.8. I have tried to shoot handheld with a 15mm f1.7 but even at that wider angle I saw jitter in my footage, a stabilized lens is not a luxury on this camera if you are not on a tripod.
Aside from the Lumix 12-35mm and 35-100mm f2.8 zooms, has anyone else found an OIS lens to work compatibly with the LS300? I've tried a wide variety of OIS Lumix lenses and the LS300 failed to recognize them, in each case the OIS menu option remains grayed-out.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:28 PM   #39
Major Player

I usually don't do this sh__, but this is 70-80% LS300 and the rest Pocket Camera...

Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 12:55 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
I usually don't do this sh__
I saw in another post that you also said you are reluctantly sharing this, why? I think it's a great example of what the jvc is capable off.
Old September 4th, 2016, 05:18 AM   #41
Regular Crew

A shoot I did in July using my 300, using 709 gamma. Some over exposure on a few shots...should have shot J-Log for the bright sun scenes.

Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #42
Major Player

I resist uploading videos for a lot of reasons, mainly because it's so often about ego. Also my chosen style is old-school documentary, and that's not always the best example of a camera's capabilities.

The reason I uploaded this one is that there are several scenes in it directly intercut with the Pocket Camera. Over on the BM site participants are often exclaiming the quality of the color science of that camera, comparing it to the Alexa... and I agree, it's why I have two of them.

But I think it's pretty amazing that the neglected LS300 can stand up in a fair fight.

Last edited by Steve Rosen; September 4th, 2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Pocket comparison
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
this is 70-80% LS300 and the rest Pocket Camera...
Was the ls300 part entirely shot in jlog? and if you shoot with your pocket cam do you use prores 422 with dynamic range set to film or video? I have the pocket cam too but have not experimented with matching it with the ls300.
Old September 4th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #44
Major Player

Noa, yeah I only shoot J-Log now... with the Pockets I shoot Film Mode either raw or mostly ProRes HQ. Some of the footage in the film was raw (very little). For example, the shop footage is about 55% Pocket ProRes, 5% raw and 40% JVC, the rest of the film is mostly JVC. There are two angles intercut in the auto shop between the JVC and Pocket - but I'm not telling which... heh, heh...

BTW, about LUTs etc. This film was done quickly (I only had 2 days for the CC) so the grade suffered in several places. I may redo it if I get time - problem is the close-captioning has already been done.

But, anyway, I have a preset in FCPX Color for the Pocket and another for the JVC when using FilmConvert and when not... That's how this project was finished, with a little tweaking here and there.
Old September 5th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #45
Major Player

This has just been uploaded:
It's a preview of a 25 minute programme.

I shot most of it with my Samyang Cine Primes, except the jib shots which were the Panasonic 12-35.

Also I lit/shot the 4x UK testimonials on this:
The other elements are filmed in L.A.

I use Aputure LED lighting these days.
Looking forward to daylight/variable versions of their COB heads.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders