Recommended lenses - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:25 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Recommended lenses

Alex : I can'r answer your other questions, but as for the LUT, I don't use it - it's really not needed. With J-Log, I just add a little chroma (+10 - 15) and pull down the blacks slightly - and maybe boost the highlights (in FCPX, using the wave form). It's really a simple gamma to grade compared to others.

I'm (reluctantly) going to post a film I just finished in the footage thread.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
but as for the LUT, I don't use it - it's really not needed
My experience tells me otherwise as I have seen a colorshift using J-log which was corrected by using the leeming lut.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #33
Major Player

To be perfectly honest, I haven't tried the LS300 LUT (I changed computers and never installed the LUT enabler for FCPX, can't even remember what it's called).

But I had a bunch of LUTs for the BM cameras and I always found myself dumping the LUT and going back to manual CC. I do still use FilmConvert, but even that not as much as before.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 07:47 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Regarding Lenses on the LS-300

The thing that convinced me to buy the LS-300 was the sample footage shot indoors with full frame lenses. I did add the Panasonic 12-35 MFT lens for the times I want a stabilized lens. That is a very competent lens, but my best footage (particularly as light levels fall) seems to come from my full frame Nikon prime lenses at 100% VSM. I'm sure other quality full frame lenses would do as well, but the Nikkors are what I have. I'm happy enough with the results that I've added a lens support so I can use my heavier fast zooms, which all exceed the 800 gram limit of the LS-300 lens mount.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #35
Regular Crew

With J-Log1 post-production, the pitfall is in nailing the color saturation. A little contrast (gamma) and sharpening takes care of the dynamics, but it's hard to bring out vibrant colors while maintaining natural-looking skin tones. Beta versions of the Leeming LUT encountered this problem and required multiple trials to get the balance just right. I've seen much LOG footage shot with other cameras that appear to punt on this issue, going with a bleached look in post to keep the skin tones from looking too orange.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Lee Powell, so if you don't use J-Log1, what setting do you suggest of using in the camera for better results?
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I do use J-Log1, and post-process it with the Leeming LUT:

Leeming LUT One

This converts JVC's log profile into a calibrated Rec 709 tone curve. From there I'll usually adjust the gamma, sharpen the luma component, and boost chroma to taste. Since J-Log1 mode does not allow you to sharpen the image in-camera, you need to post-process the footage anyway, so you might as well use a full-blown LUT to do the job right.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:33 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
Alex : I can'r answer your other questions, but as for the LUT, I don't use it - it's really not needed. With J-Log, I just add a little chroma (+10 - 15) and pull down the blacks slightly - and maybe boost the highlights (in FCPX, using the wave form). It's really a simple gamma to grade compared to others.

I'm (reluctantly) going to post a film I just finished in the footage thread.
Thank you for the info. I had sort of come to similar conclusions. I find the JVC LUT though quick was for me so far overkill. In fact I find my skin tones falling apart too fast so I'm doing my own gentler kinder curve. I did pick up the Color Finale Pro plug in that if used after using FCPX color with wave form monitor adjustments. I may have to get the Neto or Photon Pro plug in for noise reduction and hide any other uglies with grain added, not that I like either of the ideas. Maybe I need to get my post voodoo down better or maybe a Ninja Flam might help a lot. (4:00am wondering if should have gotten a raw camera) though dealing with raw is a pain.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:04 AM   #39
Major Player

Alex. I find that if I'm very gentle with the grade, the J-LOG footage looks great - there is a tendency these days to either boost chroma WAY beyond normal or to introduce HUNGER GAMES type "Looks" that an 8 bit codec just isn't happy with - my solution for that would be to use filters and shoot as close to how you want it to end up in camera... After that, a simple grade works well with the 300...

I have Two Pocket Cameras and a Micro (and had a D16, but had to return it), so I do shoot raw occasionally. But mostly ProRes 422 or ProRes HQ - Those are amazing codecs and will take a lot of abuse - I wish every camera offered them.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders