Just about to get a LS3000 ... my concerns - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old January 7th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Just about to get a LS3000 ... my concerns

Don't know... just that almost every review seems to talk about it. I guess it was quite complicated to fit an ND on a MFT mount with interchangable lens... anyway...
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #32
Major Player

It does show in the VF and side monitor, they both show the same information. I have never ever used the VF on the LS300. In fact I pulled the eyecup off and left it that way.
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #33
Regular Crew

@Marcello I started to smile when some days ago Uematsu-san of Panasonic said its impossible to put an nd filter on MFT, when he was interviewed about the new GH5
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
Also, it should show it in the LCD too as the VF seems to be really sh** and unusable.
It does show on the viewfinder and the lcd.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #35
Major Player

I use the viewfinder sometimes, outdoors in bright sun. It's not great, but it is usable.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:44 AM   #36
Major Player

I have a Hoodman EX1 loupe which fits the LS300 very well, and allows for use of the joystick. It's quite heavy though.
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:04 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
What I read is that many people touch it by accident either using focus or follow focus or by holding the camera with the palm underneath.... Also, it should show it in the LCD too as the VF seems to be really sh** and unusable.
People accidentally turn it instead of the exposure knob which is nearby. I made the mistake once, learned my lesson and have never done it again. It is listed in the LCD/VF as on unless one has the indicators turned off.
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #38
Major Player

I've been using the LS300 for nearly two years for docs, and still think it's the best option out there for most things... My issue has been 8 bit, but to be honest, the LS delivers images that can intercut with my 10 bit Pocket and Micro cameras seamlessly (shooting ProRes) - with a little tweaking... If you're exposures are good on the LS, the only problem is banding that appears sometimes during long fades to black - and there can be blocking in shadows if you use a heavy overlay...

I never use the built in finder - or seldom the LCD, except for menus or a quick look by my partner to check the frame... I have a Gratical X that I bought because I figured it would be relatively future-proof, and I can use it on my other cameras with HDMI... But I also regularly use one of my older Z-Finder Pros, which is a more affordable option... Mine are mounted on a simple rod block that I made, it makes handheld to tripod an easy switch...

Most complaints come from people who use the JVC handheld as a "handycam".. In my opinion there's nothing handy about a handycam... I've posted this pic before, but it shows my setup, which is near perfect... The controller on the side starts and stops recording, and the zoom toggle is set for the VSM... It's an incredibly versatile camera with the configuration....
Attached Thumbnails
Just about to get a LS3000 ... my concerns-ls_02.jpg  
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Cool setup! But isn't that very front heavy since the shoulderpad is on the back? I have shot "handycamstyle" all day using a springloaded mini-monopod that was attached to a vest, that took all weight from my arms.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
Ithe only problem is banding that appears sometimes during long fades to black - and there can be blocking in shadows if you use a heavy overlay...

Hi Steve,
Can you tell me more avou this. i don't understand.. what uou mean by FADE... you are talking about a dissolve in editing? Same for overlay... you mean an effect on top in editing?
I don't understand why the camera dhould have problema only in editing.
If they are there they shpuld come up in grading, if not then they don't come up...
But I cam't understand why only with a second layer on top (dissolve or overlay).

Thanks
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #41
Major Player

Noa: Not front heavy at all, since handheld I tend to use light lenses like the Olympus 12-40 or Lumix 35-100 - I use my Aaton grip forward on the rails - I'm 72 and it feels perfectly balanced to me... I shot many films with my Eclairs (NPR and ACL) and my Aaton over the years, and two feature docs with a Panasonic HPX500 - with long zooms those were front heavy cameras... I don't like the handicam configuration because it moves the CG out front, to the end of your arms, which isn't great for long shots - no wonder everyone wants stabilization these days... I can handhold a 12-120mm lens at the long end, but then I've been doing it for years, still work out and practice regularly...

Marcello: Any 8 bit video will show some banding when doing long fades to black - the AF100 was terrible, the LS is better, but it still can happen occasionally..

By overlays, I mean adding a filter in post, like LOOKS, diffusion or a vignette (which I like occasionally with interviews)... In some situations macro-blocking will be noticeable in the shadows - This was talked about a lot early on with this camera...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #42
Major Player

Thank you steve
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders