DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   ls300 lensprotocols (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/533476-ls300-lensprotocols.html)

Noa Put January 24th, 2017 02:09 AM

ls300 lensprotocols

I have a olympus 40-150mm f2.8 which I use on my ls300 during wedding ceremonies, the lens has frustrated me a lot when it comes to finetuning focus, the ring is very touchy and the focus often goes past or before the subject with only the slightest minuscule turn of the ring so I have to turn a few times in both directions to get it spot on. First I thought this was the nature of a fly by wire lens or Olympus just didn't get it right but yesterday I tried the lens on my panasonic g80 and the focus was more easy to control and the feedback from it more precise. Not sure if this has something to do with Panasonic or Olympus not communicating all the correct lensprotocols to JVC as I have read about other users having some minor issues with their panasonic lenses not working as they should on the ls300. Either way, looks like I"m stuck with this problem.

Eduardo Rubio January 24th, 2017 03:15 AM

Re: ls300 lensprotocols

Hi Noa,

I'm haven't test any Olympus lens on the LS300 and I'm a rookie with this camera, but in terms of lens protocols I'm having a funny behaviour with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8. Besides de OIS thing (I still don't get if it's using it or not because the camera menu option it's always in grey and honestly I don't see any difference when the OIS lens switch is On or Off), I haven't been able to set it to Automatic Iris and, in Manual Iris, sometimes it doesn't go lower than f3.2 but sometimes it reach the f2.8 value. I have also tested the Panasonic 14-140 and I also can't use it in Auto Iris mode neither see any difference when touching the lens OIS switch.

Luke Miller January 24th, 2017 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Eduardo

I use the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 as well. Although it is nominally a constant aperture 2.8 lens it does adjust something to maintain that aperture as it is zoomed. I can hear the adjustment on mine as I zoom the lens and max aperture (according to the LS-300 display) is f3.2 at full zoom (35mm). I believe the lens OIS works when the POWER O.I.S switch on the lens is set to On, but there is no indication of that on the LS-300 LCD. Auto Iris works fine on my LS-300 if I enable it.

Attached is JVCs listing of tested lenses. I have not found a more recent version.

Duncan Craig January 24th, 2017 02:16 PM

It's odd that the 12-35/35-100 aren't on that list?

Eduardo Rubio January 25th, 2017 06:01 AM

Thanks for the info Luke, I'll talk to seller about it.

Steve Rosen January 26th, 2017 09:22 AM

If you're shooing J-LOG auto-iris disabled. If you want auto-iris, try Cine Gamma instead...

The iris control on the LS300 is the worst mechanical feature of the camera, even worse than the crappy viewfinder... It's fiddly and takes A LOT of patience...and iris control is too important to relegate to that stupid little knob...

The good news is that the Prime Zoom feature makes manual lenses an option. I shoot regularly with a 12mm or 24mm Rokinon and keep a small 50mm Leica-R in my vest pocket. Not perfect, but it's MANUAL!

The LS300 is a good camera despite these complaints, but it should have been a great camera... I've said since I bought mine nearly 2 years ago that its a shame JVC engineers had such a good concept, but that concept was weakened by a board decision to keep the price low for marketing reasons... I would have gladly paid a grand more for the camera it could have been...

Luke Miller January 26th, 2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rosen (Post 1926894)
The iris control on the LS300 is the worst mechanical feature of the camera, even worse than the crappy viewfinder... It's fiddly and takes A LOT of patience...and iris control is too important to relegate to that stupid little knob...

The good news is that the Prime Zoom feature makes manual lenses an option.

I agree. I love how my full frame lenses (35mm with aperture rings) perform on the LS-300. The Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 is a fine lens and very useful when I need stabilization, but I really like the image quality when using 100% of the LS-300 sensor.

Eduardo Rubio January 27th, 2017 04:06 AM

Thanks Steve!

It's true, I was in J-Log (I'm enjoying that mode but still need more practice on how to expose when using it). And I agree, I love this new way of using primes with the VSM feature.

Thanks again!

Duncan Craig January 27th, 2017 06:44 AM

Regarding Iris control. I remember when the FS7 came out the iris control was reportedly completely awful, it would take multiple turns on the roller wheel to make iris adjustments. And that was with Sony lenses! It took them a while to offer firmware fixes, and I'm not sure they ever fixed it properly because different lenses acted differently. A lot of issue we may have with the LS300 perhaps relate to the lenses we're using rather than the camera. Not sure.

William Hohauser January 27th, 2017 01:30 PM

The varying way different m4/3 lenses from the same manufacturer behave on the LS300 indicate to me that the different models are not programmed the same way. At most they are probably programmed to behave on a M4/3 still camera. Who knows if the lens manufacturers freely share this info.

Several of the Panasonic lenses have had firmware updates over the years but I don't know if those go into the lens itself or into camera memory. If they go into the lens then the lenses are much more sophisticated then a traditional lens.

Stein Onshus May 12th, 2017 02:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all.

The file attached above is from May 2015 - I think the one attached here is a few months fresher.

Aaron Jones Sr. May 12th, 2017 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stein Onshus (Post 1932120)
Hi all.

The file attached above is from May 2015 - I think the one attached here is a few months fresher.

Very nice!