new JVC LS300 owner- lenses - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old February 21st, 2017, 11:45 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: new JVC LS300 owner- lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
Personally I never much cared for the crop factor comparisons etc etc, some directors I work with have made a fuss at the start of a job and soon stopped worrying about it.
But it is something you have to learn about though to navigate the world of lenses, and questions come up because I don't have a frame of reference for how the VSM performs on one setting compared to the other.

Is the difference in shooting with the VSM at 80% or 100% the same differences as shooting with an MFT camera or a super35 camera? Do the same DoF differences apply and so forth, or is it the same image "scaled" to different sizes, or whatever the proper term is?
Jay P. Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:23 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Re: new JVC LS300 owner- lenses

VSM is unique to the LS300 and so nobody has really made an accurate assessment of what the "mm" comparisons would be on a particular lens. I can tell you that compared to the same lens on a MFT camera you can get a bit wider angle if the lens construction cooperates. So my 20mm might be giving me 16 or 17mm, can't tell for sure. My 45mm might start at 40mm and Prime Zoom to 80mm. If I had a larger lens collection I might be able to figure it out but I don't.

The DOF is not affected by the VSM function. The size of the sensor dictates that. What you get with the Prime Zoom is a "flat" zoom, the DOF remains constant unlike a par-focal zoom.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders