Long DSLR lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old May 21st, 2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Long DSLR lenses

JVC instructions say one should not use a lens weighing more than .8kg on the LS-300, presumably to protect the lens mount. The LS-300 itself weighs almost twice that. I would like to use the LS 300 with a Nikon 600mm lens with a converter. I can provide support under the lens (but not the camera) but that would place the weight of the camera on the lens mount. I’ve looked for support systems that would support the lens and the camera as a single unit without success. Has anyone tried a similar combination either with or without a lens and/or camera support and with what result? What support system, if any, would do the job at a reasonable price.
Conrad Obregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Long DSLR lenses

I've not looked at supports, but I have seen photos of this cam with rods, perhaps that's the way to go? My heaviest lens is the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 - I just looked it up and that comes in at 810g - just over the limit, but not enough to worry about I don't think. I assume the .8kg limit is to cover themselves, like a sell-by-date on food. Going a little over isn't going to hurt, but will just shift the blame IF something goes wrong.

Now, you're lens is quite a bit over that limit, so I'd definitely look into a support, maybe even something like this:
http://photoloving.com/image/cache/d...50-500x500.jpg
http://www.thevideoanalyst.com/wp-co...ead_tripod.jpg

I searched double head tripod and there are some solutions out there. Or this one: 'Lens Support Rods'

https://cdn3.volusion.com/akmsw.skkg...jpg?1466064494
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Nick. A simple rail system will take away the weight off the mount. Like pictured in Nick's third image link.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This is what I use:

Lens Support

My LS300 has an Arca-Swiss plate that goes in the clamp and the lens support takes the weight off the lens mount. I don't use the lens foot.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Miller View Post
This is what I use:

Lens Support

My LS300 has an Arca-Swiss plate that goes in the clamp and the lens support takes the weight off the lens mount. I don't use the lens foot.
Very nice Luke! We need a thread where we can see pics of the rigs. I have not quite got mine together yet but will drop some pics soon as I do.

Last edited by Aaron Jones Sr.; May 22nd, 2017 at 09:23 AM.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Luke Miller;1932503]This is what I use:

Lens Support

My LS300 has an Arca-Swiss plate that goes in the clamp and the lens support takes the weight off the lens mount. I don't use the lens foot.[/QUOTE

I could use a generic plate. but does someone make a dedicated LS300 plate?

With a single Hejnar lens support it seems to me that you might still have pressure on the lens mount. Also, since the 600 mm lens is so much wider than the LS300, it looks like you might need some sort of shim under the camera to raise it to line up with the lens. Perhaps you could provide a photo of your setup.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Obregon View Post
I could use a generic plate. but does someone make a dedicated LS300 plate?

With a single Hejnar lens support it seems to me that you might still have pressure on the lens mount. Also, since the 600 mm lens is so much wider than the LS300, it looks like you might need some sort of shim under the camera to raise it to line up with the lens. Perhaps you could provide a photo of your setup.
I use a RRS camcorder plate. It has the anti-rotation pin that fits in the hole in the bottom of the LS300. The longest lens I've used with my setup is the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. I agree that a 600mm lens would need a different support than the one I use. Here is what I would consider:

RRS - Super-tele package inspired by professional photographer Kennan Ward

I would mount the lens using the lens foot on the sliding clamp and the camera in the rear clamp. I really like the double rail support since I can slide it in my fluid head clamp to balance the camera/lens.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Miller View Post
I use a RRS camcorder plate. It has the anti-rotation pin that fits in the hole in the bottom of the LS300. The longest lens I've used with my setup is the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. I agree that a 600mm lens would need a different support than the one I use. Here is what I would consider:

RRS - Super-tele package inspired by professional photographer Kennan Ward

I would mount the lens using the lens foot on the sliding clamp and the camera in the rear clamp. I really like the double rail support since I can slide it in my fluid head clamp to balance the camera/lens.
That looks like what I was looking for. Thanks, Luke.
Old June 1st, 2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

We 're using this SmallRig plate and rods with a lens support up front. The lens in the pic is an Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 with the 1.4x tele converter. Very stable lens support. We've also used the same setup with a big Canon L 100-400mm - worked excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0197OP4PU..._trjmzb28PGEMW
Attached Thumbnails
Long DSLR lenses-img_5998.png  
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders