What's Your Second Cam To The LS300 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old June 21st, 2017, 05:58 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: What's Your Second Cam To The LS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Haman View Post
On the rare occasion I've used autofocus on the GX80, it's worked well, but I'm not really a fan in general, on any camera. As for ISO, you can go 100 - 125 - 160 - 200 - 250 - 320 - 400 - 500 - 640 - 800- 1000 - 1250 - 1600 - 2000 - 2500 - 3200 - 4000 - 5000 - 6400.

I wouldn't go above 1600 and even that's a stretch, but in the lower end the intervals aren't exactly huge jumps. By default the 'ISO Increments' is set to 1EV, but in the photo settings you can change it to 1/3EV, and that also has an affect on the video move. Note though, 100 - 125 - 160 can't be used in video mode.
This is why I'm glad I asked the question. From the YouTube vids it was told that the ISO was more limited 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600. From what you are saying that is just fine with me.
Does the GX85 have ow motion?
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:10 AM   #32
Regular Crew

You can shoot 50p 1920x1080 (60p in US I guess), at 28mbps. Noa noted that there's some aliasing, but with the right choice of lenses/framing/light it's avoidable.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:29 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Here is an example of the aliasing of the gx80 in 1080p and 4k

1080p
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:14 PM   #34
Regular Crew

The GX85 lacks an optical anti-aliasing filter. Judging from the moire in the 1080p video above, that was a mistake on Panasonic's part. Cameras that work better without an anti-aliasing filter have high-megapixel sensors, like the 24Mpix sensors used in Nikon APS-C cameras. The GX85 has a standard 16Mpix sensor, coarse enough to need an anti-aliaising filter. While less moire was visible in the 4K video sample, it would likely appear at a greater shooting distance, narrowing the vertical gap in the structure edges to match the resolution of the 4K pixels.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:46 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. View Post
I had the GH5 but I sold it cause I was only using it for b-roll and that was too hefty of a price to pay in my eyes for a b-roll cam. Which cam were you referring to that you shoot with at weddings? (GH4 or GX85).
The GH4. LS300 is the main camera. I'm not familiar with the GX85.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:59 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nogueira View Post
The GH4. LS300 is the main camera. I'm not familiar with the GX85.
How does the GH4 hold up for you at weddings. Obviously you like v=because you are still using it. Just wanting someone with a GH4 to comment on the autofocus. As I said before I mainly shoot manual until I get the cam on a gimbal then I go for auto focus. got another music vid coming and I like to use my gimbal and make sure I'm getting good focus on my subject as I move about.
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:36 PM   #37
Inner Circle

The GH series of Panasonic are no good for autofocus, you might get a it right here and there but if you are not able to repeat your shot I wouldn't trust it. You might be better of using a sony a6500 if you want better autofocus.
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:36 PM   #38
Major Player

Here is a Samsung NX1 vs GH4 auto Focus comparison... The samsung is beast on the focus compared to the GH4.

Here is the GH4 with some setting tweaks to make the auto focus better.

Some GH4 Low Light shots

Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:51 PM   #39
Major Player

So after all of this fellas I decided on a Samsung NX1. It is a beast of a camera. The only issue is it is discontinued and you can only find it used. But that may work out to my advantage as i have a certain budget I want to stay in. I may be able to get it for aroung $1k with lens. So the hunt is on...

Samsung discontinued their NX1 because of patent infringement. If you do the research on this cam it is a beast and would compare to the GH5 but kill in auto focus. It would be the perfect gimbal cam for me at the moment.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:07 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Looks like a nice cam, but you'll need a whole new set of lenses for it. Also, it will take a lot of power to edit with those h265 files (unless you're recording external?) Keep us updated though!
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:34 AM   #41
Inner Circle

The autofocus test shows what I was saying, you can't trust a GH4 or 5 on a gimbal if you run it in autofocus, you might get it right after a few tries but there are better camera's out there for this purpose. Personally I never would invest in a camera system that is dead, you need to use it with it's native lenses for best results but those lenses won't fit on any other camera and once you come to a point where you want to update or replace the camerabody you are stuck with a pair of expensive lenses.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:59 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Personally I never would invest in a camera system that is dead, you need to use it with it's native lenses for best results but those lenses won't fit on any other camera and once you come to a point where you want to update or replace the camerabody you are stuck with a pair of expensive lenses.
I understand that. I'm getting a he'll of a deal for the body and 2 native lenses. Again this cam is just for the Gimbal nothing more than B-roll. If I was using it as a main cam I would then be mindful of investing into a dead system. Keep in mind Samsung has already belted out a good variety of glass for their bodies. This is not their first cam. It is their first beast of a cam. They were one of the forerunners for going mirrorless with the DSLR's. I found a deal on FB that was too good to pass up with the features that can be had with this cam. I have not used one yet but I'm optimistic about the outcome. This cam has a PL mount adapter where you can get into some really good glass for cinematography.

My Jvc's are my mains and the Sammy will allow me to run at the drop of a dime and get good b-roll with my slider and Gimbal while my work bourse are doing the bulk of the lifting as main cams.
Old June 24th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #43
Major Player

I'm not a afraid to venture off the path. I know it is not a popular choice but sometimes that is when you are able to set apart from the crowd by trying something new. On certain sites and groups I see a lot of wedding videogrphers trying to make the same dream wedding and it is redundant. If you all make the same thing then the client will just go to the lowest bidder, hello! I think we need to develop our own nitch. This is what will have our clients pay what we ask. Because we specialize in that type of presentation. Anyway that is my thoughts...
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #44
Major Player

So I finally got the Sammy NX1. It came with two lenses, 3 batteries, charger, and the body for $1100. I bought it from a woman out of California off FB. Someone mentioned about the footage being hard to edit... That is not true. the H.265 imports into PP with no problem and edits just like it was H.264. However initially when I imported the clips PP said that a codec HEVC has to be installed and by clicking ok it will be installed. Once I clicked ok, it was as if it was H.264. So just a note to those thinking of getting a cam that outputs H.265 and use PP. I will do some additional testing with it over the next couple of days and ultimately use for b-roll cam at my wedding Saturday in conjuction with the Zhiyun Crane V2 and the Zhiyun Crane dual grip extended handle. Will post some pics soon.
Old August 6th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #45
Major Player

I like I promised here is the Samsung NX1 on the Zhiyun Crane V2 Stabilizer. I have not adjusted the color effectively to match the LS3 as of yet but I'm working on it.

Here is a similar double strap that aids in weight relief on long shoots - https://www.amazon.com/Release-Shoul...older+For+DSLR
Attached Thumbnails
What's Your Second Cam To The LS300-sammy_stabilizer-small.jpg  
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders