Editing 4:2:2 without conversion? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old July 20th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Editing 4:2:2 without conversion?

Question: Does everyone find the new update for 4:2:2 workflow worth it at 4K? I've only just barely had time to test it a little while shooting at some mixed primary color still life so I haven't done enough to make an opinion. Not having C4K but 4K UHD format is not a deal breaker... and FCPX seems to play the 4K 422 footage fine. But being 8 bit not 10 bit 422 instead of 420 didn't leap off the monitor on curved reds or seem to have much more leeway in post. But I've only shot 5 minutes of footage just to make sure the firmware update worked. Does anyone have a 420, 422 8 bit comparison they have done that shows it off? (thinking stills full sized png or something would be great)

Thanks
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #17
Regular Crew

For me, it hasn't changed the workflow at all, so I'd say it's well worth it. I still edit straight out the camera.

I've never really understood why someone wouldn't use the absolute best settings in camera. You can't cut a piece of string longer, so its better to start with too much right?

4:2:2 is a lot more colour than 4:2:0, check this video out for better info:

Then the whole 10bit, 8bit thing - 8bit grades fine, just don't push it. No one in the real world will ever tell if you're footage was 10 or 8bit unless you're overdoing the grade. Hell some of the grades on Canon DSLRs 10 years ago looked amazing, but no one was talking about it at all then. Of course, as I said above, if your camera can shoot 10bit 4:2:2, then go for it, but I think the GH5 has made people obsess over things that don't really matter. For example, the movie 'Tangerine was shot on an iPhone 5s and looks amazing despite that.

Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #18
Trustee

Does anyone know if this re-wrapping to MXF has been tried with Panasonic's 10-bit 422 files by anyone?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #19
Inner Circle

On the Mac side, EditReady may cover this problem. You can download a demo and see if that helps.
Old July 20th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Haman View Post
Then the whole 10bit, 8bit thing - 8bit grades fine, just don't push it. No one in the real world will ever tell if you're footage was 10 or 8bit unless you're overdoing the grade.... Of course, as I said above, if your camera can shoot 10bit 4:2:2, then go for it, but I think the GH5 has made people obsess over things that don't really matter. [/url]
The low-down on Panasonic's Vlog-L profile is that it clips all highlights at 79 IRE, discarding the entire 80-109 IRE range. That combined with its black level pedestal leaves GH4 internal Vlog-L recordings with only 7-bits of color depth, and 10-bit GH5 recordings with 9-bit color depth. The LS-300's J-log1 profile uses the full 8-bit range, and has 50% more bitrate in 4K mode, 150Mbps versus 100Mbps on both GH4 and GH5. The bottom line is that Panasonic Vlog-L footage is excessively washed out, sacrifices tonal depth in favor of dynamic range, and never quite stands up to JVC J-log1 footage in gradable image quality. None of these MFT cameras are great at high ISO's, but with enough light to bury the FPN noise, the LS300 can deliver virtually flawless 4K J-log1 footage in 8-bit 4:2:2 color depth.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Powell View Post
The LS-300's J-log1 profile uses the full 8-bit range, and has 50% more bitrate in 4K mode, 150Mbps versus 100Mbps on both GH4 and GH5.
The GH5 records up to150Mbps (and a 400Mpbs All-Intra is coming).
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 12:31 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
The GH5 records up to150Mbps (and a 400Mpbs All-Intra is coming).
Ah, thanks, my bad. I was thinking about the GH4/5 8-bit 4:2:0 modes, 100Mbps max. The 10-bit 4:2:2 modes have higher bitrates.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:21 AM   #23
New Boot

I took a look at EditReady for Mac and it only supports MXF as an input file format. The Rewrap function within EditReady only outputs .MOV and JVC 422 files are still not recognized after rewrap.

There are other programs for Mac that I will investigate as the earlier mentioned ffmeg solution contains .exe files that only make it suitable for Windows users. If anyone is using a Mac program to rewrap MOV to MXF, please let us know.
Al Slamecka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders