DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   LS300 / Rokinon Cine Lens Needs Matte Box (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/534904-ls300-rokinon-cine-lens-needs-matte-box.html)

Aaron Jones Sr. November 5th, 2017 03:35 PM

LS300 / Rokinon Cine Lens Needs Matte Box

2 Attachment(s)
I find a lot of times when I'm shooting in conditions of bright light coming in from the windows, bright lights inside, or outdoors when it is sunny that the Rokinon gets a haze on the footage. I found this out about 3 weddings ago and just getting around to discuss it. IF I hold my hand to shade some the light I'm just find but this is a hassle in it's self. I think that their hoods are failing them. Is anyone else having this issue and if so what did you do to eliminate the haze?

(Footage is not color corrected and it is shot in J-log)

You can see the window with the light on the left. First pic is whit the light coming in and the second pic is with my hand blocking it. Interesting none the less.

Steve Rosen November 6th, 2017 08:48 AM

Re: LS300 / Rokinon Cine Lens Needs Matte Box

Aaron. All the Rokinons I have (12,24,35,50, 85) suffer when shooing toward a source - which is unfortunate because I prefer shooting that way.

I bought a cheapo Cavision 3x3 clamp-on matte box with barn doors, and that helps a lot, especially with the 35, 50 and 85. The Cavision would be a POS if I used filters in it, but I really only use it for the doors.

Because it's 3x3 and flimsy plastic its very small and light. BTW, you'll need adapter rings for the lenses, and it's a little difficult to figure out which you need because they're not well-named or identified on the B&H site.

Incidentally... my current favorite lens, the Olympus 12-40, doesn't exhibit any lens flare when shooting toward a source like a window. Surprising, because zooms are usually worse than primes.

Aaron Jones Sr. November 6th, 2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rosen (Post 1938222)
Aaron. All the Rokinons I have (12,24,35,50, 85) suffer when shooing toward a source - which is unfortunate because I prefer shooting that way.

I bought a cheapo Cavision 3x3 clamp-on matte box with barn doors, and that helps a lot, especially with the 35, 50 and 85. The Cavision would be a POS if I used filters in it, but I really only use it for the doors.

Because it's 3x3 and flimsy plastic its very small and light. BTW, you'll need adapter rings for the lenses, and it's a little difficult to figure out which you need because they're not well-named or identified on the B&H site.

Incidentally... my current favorite lens, the Olympus 12-40, doesn't exhibit any lens flare when shooting toward a source like a window. Surprising, because zooms are usually worse than primes.

Is this what you were telling me about?
Cavision 3x3" Matte Box with Top and Side Flags
There are many different ones on B&H just trying to see what one is working for you.

Steve Rosen November 11th, 2017 09:30 AM

Yeah, that's it. It's a little more expensive than when I bought it two years ago, but it works well. The filter holders are funky, but as I said, I don't use filters much anymore, so I simply seal all the potential leaks with 1/4" black spike tape.

It's somewhat flimsy, but that also makes it very light weight so you can use it on zooms too. It has held up well with los of use. BTW, you can also use black wrap over the doors if you're dealing with a lot of glare.

I do occasionally use a 1/2 SoftFX with it, in the back holder. I've permanently taped the front one (and the gap underneath between the holder and the hood).