Is the JVC LS300 still a competitive camera today? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old October 17th, 2018, 06:48 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Is the JVC LS300 still a competitive camera today?

I was at NAB NY today and spoke with a JVC rep about an updated LS300. He said if JVC develops a new 4K interchangeable lens camera is will most likely be based on the sensor/processor in the new HC-500/550 cameras ( http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102557 ). These new cameras are capable of recording 4K/60p 10-bit 422 ProRes internally. JVC had a non-functioning HC-550 on display. The rep said these cameras are scheduled to ship in the Spring. The camera has two XD slots below the EVF and what looked like a micro SSD slot on the left side of the camera rear. The JVC rep also mentioned a lot of people have been inquiring about a possible shoulder mount version of the HC550. The rep said JVC is studying its options in using the HC-550 sensor/processor in other 4K cameras.

As a side note, I did play a little bit with the BMPCC4K. Very nice camera. At it's price, BM should sell a ton of these. Also, Sony did not have a display at NAB NY, which surprised me.
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 04:57 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
He said if JVC develops a new 4K interchangeable lens camera is will most likely be based on the sensor/processor in the new HC-500/550 cameras
If that would be the case then it will be a 1 inch sensor? I would be surprised if it would do any good in low light, something most jvc cameras still struggle with.
I just looked and see that the ls300 has gone down 1000euros from it's intro price, now it's 2500, same price as a gh5s.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 10:26 AM   #33
Inner Circle

It's a one inch sensor with an entirely new processing engine. It's a nice looking camera (on the outside of course as the display model was non-functional) and the fixed zoom lens is designed specifically for the sensor. Of course for those looking for prime lens style images, it's probable that this camera may not fit the bill. They are promoting is as a sport filming camera in addition to standard pro video work. As an LS300 successor, this is unlikely to fit the bill despite the really impressive recording options and stats.

As for plans for a LS300 successor, it doesn't seem that JVC has that on their plate right now. The high quality streaming cameras are getting more interest right now.

JVC Pro Product Overview Page
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:49 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Bill Magac View Post
I was at NAB NY today and spoke with a JVC rep about an updated LS300. He said if JVC develops a new 4K interchangeable lens camera is will most likely be based on the sensor/processor in the new HC-500/550 cameras ( http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102557 ). These new cameras are capable of recording 4K/60p 10-bit 422 ProRes internally. JVC had a non-functioning HC-550 on display. The rep said these cameras are scheduled to ship in the Spring. The camera has two XD slots below the EVF and what looked like a micro SSD slot on the left side of the camera rear. The JVC rep also mentioned a lot of people have been inquiring about a possible shoulder mount version of the HC550. The rep said JVC is studying its options in using the HC-550 sensor/processor in other 4K cameras.
Swap out their current S16 sensor in the HC-500 for a S35 sensor and a MFT mount, price it at the same the LS300 is now, and I'd be very happy indeed!
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:04 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
Swap out their current S16 sensor in the HC-500 for a S35 sensor and a MFT mount, price it at the same the LS300 is now, and I'd be very happy indeed!
It is a 1 inch sensor, not a S16 sensor.
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:15 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
They are promoting is as a sport filming camera in addition to standard pro video work.
JVC Pro Product Overview Page
There are three versions of this camera: JVC Pro Product Category Page .
The JVC sales rep I spoke with at NAB NY said the base model HC500 should retail for around $3700 USD. That is a very attractive price considering the new Canon XF705 1 inch camera retails for around $7K USD.
Old October 21st, 2018, 07:22 AM   #37
Inner Circle

What’s interesting to me is the ability to overlay graphics in the 550 which would make it very useful for live streaming without needing a switcher or laptop. I missed a job last year because all the equipment need to broadcast out of a crowded radio studio made the job too unwieldy. It remains to be seen how you can get graphics into the camera. Also the SSD slot, the question is; can I record on the SSD without the graphics while broadcasting the graphics?

On the 1” CMOS chip. The DOF has to be more than the HM180 or 200 with their small sensors. It’ll be interesting to play with one of these next year. Plus JVC is transferring the Virtual Zoom tech from the LS300 to this camera so if you are filming in HD, you can get 40x zoom out of the chip without any loss in quality.
Old October 21st, 2018, 12:48 PM   #38
Regular Crew

B&H has the three versions available for pre-order.

HC500: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

HC500SPC: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

HC550: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Expected availability Jan. 2019.

Enjoy.
Old October 24th, 2018, 03:28 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Bill Magac View Post
It is a 1 inch sensor, not a S16 sensor.
Same same.
Old October 24th, 2018, 03:48 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
What’s interesting to me is the ability to overlay graphics in the 550 which would make it very useful for live streaming without needing a switcher or laptop. I missed a job last year because all the equipment need to broadcast out of a crowded radio studio made the job too unwieldy. It remains to be seen how you can get graphics into the camera. Also the SSD slot, the question is; can I record on the SSD without the graphics while broadcasting the graphics?

On the 1” CMOS chip. The DOF has to be more than the HM180 or 200 with their small sensors. It’ll be interesting to play with one of these next year. Plus JVC is transferring the Virtual Zoom tech from the LS300 to this camera so if you are filming in HD, you can get 40x zoom out of the chip without any loss in quality.
Yes I agree. Don't forget the brilliant idea of the SSD in the body. Simply brilliant.
The 1 inch can become the standard in the pro-sumer segment and JVC is getting everything right with only 1 exception : instead of imitating SONY with the plethora of models after models for basically the same offer JVC should concentrate in one model, be brave and they can win.

What's missing? A semi-shoulder mount. Put the graphics back into the 500 , sell the wifi antenna as an accessory, delete the 550 and 500SPC, design a loop for the screen and a shoulder mount (zacuto type or protech and again put them in the accessories) and they can be the number one in the $3000 segment of weddings, sports, documentary and news for the one-man band category, seriously.
remember the ea50? sold a lot and for one reason only: the semi-shoulder mount.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 09:49 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
Same same.
Agreed, close enough. According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format the S16 is 12.52x7.41mm and the 1" is 12.80x9.6mm.
Old October 24th, 2018, 09:56 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Here is a video of Craig Yanagi, JVC National Marketing Manager, at NAB NY commenting on the LS300 and the new HC550. Craig makes an interesting statement at the end of the video.

Enjoy.
Old October 26th, 2018, 01:22 PM   #43
Inner Circle

I got the impression from being at the show itself that any transference of HC500 series technology to a new version of the LS300 is only at the speculative stage now. There are a few hurdles that have to be worked around at this point.

First and possibly foremost is that the internal engine that processes the output of the Super35 chip of the LS300 is a different and older technology than what JVC has developed for the HC500's 1" CMOS which is why they can now output 10bit vs 8bit images. So they would have to reengineer the processing engine to work with the Super35 chip (if that's possible) in addition to redesigning the camera body to accommodate heat issues. If that's not possible within their R&D budget, can M43 lenses be adapted to a 1" chip so a relatively simple modification of the 500 series body could be made? And on that question, which kind of photo lenses can be properly used with a 1" chip? Are we willing to buy a whole new set of lenses?
Old November 2nd, 2018, 12:16 PM   #44
Major Player

In my opinion the MFT mount is what sets the LS300 apart from the crowd. There are already plenty of S35 cameras available - I have one - but the ability to use relatively light weight, abundantly available MFT and MFT adapted legacy lenses is unique to a full function digital cinema camera.

Don't try to compete with Sony, Canon and Panasonic! Give me a better constructed LS300 that records 10bit internally.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 12:04 AM   #45
Major Player

The versatility of the MFT mount + low priced S35 4K camcorder, that is a unique killer combo nobody else has.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders