Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old June 29th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro lens

A couple of months back I posted an inquiry about using the Olympus 45mm f/1.2 lens with my LS300 for interviews. It is a nice lens, but I did not buy it for various reasons. Last week I came across an old post on reduser.net about a DP who used a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro lens with his RED to shoot a music video. I remembered I have one of these lenses. It has been sitting in my Domkey camera bag with my Nikon FM2 camera for the past 25 years unused. I took the lens out of the bag and to my surprise it was clean with no mold. So I ordered a Metabones Nikon F to M4/3 adapter from B&H. The adapter just arrived and I connected the adapter and lens to my LS300. Reset the camera's VSM to 100% (S35). A quick test showed no vignetting and nice shallow depth of field. I will try to use this lens for my next interview. Moral of the story, good glass lasts a lot longer than cameras.

I found a monster....

Enjoy.

Last edited by W. Bill Magac; June 29th, 2018 at 01:33 PM.
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro lens

Sold all my Nikon glass a while back...this lens w/Nikon mount was a superstar.
Arguably, one of the sharpest lenses ever in 35mm photography.
You have a classic!

Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 11:19 PM   #3
New Boot

That is a great lens, highly regarded. I have an Elicar 90mm f/2.5 (Contax mount), which may be made by the same contracted optical company that Vivitar used.

Does your lens focus down to 1:1? The Elicar does, it's huge and heavy but the image quality never disappoints me. I use it for most interview shoots with the LS300. I've also used it on speed booster with very favorable results. The Contax/Yashica mount adapters are rather iffy, the way the attachment works on lower end adapters, it's easy to turn the lens too hard and disconnect the latch. The Nikon F mount is far more robust for a lens that size. Use that Vivitar, and enjoy it!
Steve Ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

For 1:1 focusing, the Vivitar requires the macro extender. The extender looks like a Metabones speedbooster. I have one, but I seldom used it.
W. Bill Magac is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders