Posted for Ken at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

Posted for Ken

Want to share this post from Ken:

"Hey Steve, I saw your posts on DVi, thanks for all your writeups and posts. I recently got a JVC GZ-HD7 and I love the camera but I'm really having a hard time determining if it's going to work from an editing standpoint. I ONLY want to use in the Full HD mode since that's a main selling point of the camera and ideally I would be able to edit without encoding to another format since that's an ongoing hassle however I haven't been able to get the .TOD files to work in FCP Studio 2 or in the new iMovie '08 yet."

Download MPEGstreamclip Beta 1.9.

Batch transcode to AIC. Downscale from 1920x1080 to 1440x1080. Now you can import to FCP. Use in an AIC project.

Yes, you can not downscale, but FCP works with FullHD much more slowly than 1440x1080.

-------------

If you don't want to transcode, you'll need to buy Premiere Pro.

-------------

"One last question, my camera is still pretty new, does it maybe make more sense to go with a AVCHD camera instead of the JVC?"

I have yet to read a review of any AVCHD camcorder where they say it isn't worse than HDV.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Why can't you just export to Quicktime HDV 1080i60, you could then edit in FCP natively?
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply's. I am current converting to AIC format quicktime using MPEG streamclip which works pretty well. I'm trying to avoid converting to 1440 as I want my video to retain it's 16x9 aspect ratio however for now I'm just working in iMovie '08 but would like to move to FCP Studio 2 as soon as I learn a thing or two.

It would be nice to move to one final destination format that works as well in iMovie as it does in FCP so I know I can go into either one, however it doesn't sound like AIC is that format?
Ken Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series