Struggling with TOD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old November 27th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Actually, TOD is simply JVC's name for .m2ts which is .m2t with an extra 4 bytes. These bytes are used for random access .m2t data.

Moreover, .m2ts is the wrapper for AVCHD which is also written to random access media.

So, although we are not familiar with "TOD" -- JVC used an industry standard format for random access storage.

The problem is not JVC, but programmers who code to released products rather than to meet STANDARDS. Had programmers coded support for the full MPEG-2 spec. -- rather than a flavor like HDV -- we would not face these problems. The video companies work within STANDARDS because they want to use chips that execute standards.

That certainly explains why AVID offered the advice to rename the .TOD to .m2t

Thanks for the insight.
Barry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #17
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Smith View Post
That certainly explains why AVID offered the advice to rename the .TOD to .m2t

Thanks for the insight.
And, there is the application to batch rename files to make this EZ.
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
And, there is the application to batch rename files to make this EZ.
Dang, you mean to say that PC's now have an app which emulates my Macintosh IIx ?

;-)
Barry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Smith View Post
Dang, you mean to say that PC's now have an app which emulates my Macintosh IIx ?
ren has been an internal command of DOS shell since MS-DOS 1.0.

What I am wondering is Steve said that TOD is M2TS. Is M2TS extension used for AVCHD files or for any MPEG-2/MPEG-4 files with structure different from M2T? Umm, I think what I am asking is that JVC puts out MPEG-2, while M2TS seems to be used for AVCHD, so... which is which? The HD7 is not an AVCHD camcorder, that I know for sure. Is M2T/M2TS just an equivalent to AVI, being just a container that can hold anything you stuff into it, whether MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 or something else?

I was reading a lot of stuff during last half a year, thought about getting a used PDX10, or an HV20 or something else... Now I see the HD7 priced at about $1K, which is 1/3 drop compared to the original price. Well, the HV20 is also on sale all over the Net for around $700, but the HD7 has just all the features I like, except poor OIS, so I am thinking... maybe I should get myself an HD7? Man, I suppose if I hesitate so much I will stay with my Elura 100 forever ;) Anyway, thinking about my own amateur clips, I cannot find many good ones I shoot handheld, only those shot from a tripod were any good. In this case poor OIS does not make major difference.

Does anyone have any insight whether the HD7 currently offered in stores is different from original one introduced almost a year ago? Does it have any down-the-road improvements, in particular in OIS department?
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #20
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev View Post
ren has been an internal command of DOS shell since MS-DOS 1.0.

What I am wondering is Steve said that TOD is M2TS. Is M2TS extension used for AVCHD files or for any MPEG-2/MPEG-4 files with structure different from M2T? Umm, I think what I am asking is that JVC puts out MPEG-2, while M2TS seems to be used for AVCHD, so... which is which? The HD7 is not an AVCHD camcorder, that I know for sure. Is M2T/M2TS just an equivalent to AVI, being just a container that can hold anything you stuff into it, whether MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 or something else?
M2TS is M2T for non-tape and non-broadcast transportation. In other words, it is for random access devices. The extra four bytes in M2TS may be used as an "index" value.

M2T is a means (multiplexing) of combining two streams of information: video and audio.

The TYPE of video and audio seems to be irrelevant as audio can be MP2, PCM, AC3. So far both MPEG-2 and AVC can be used for video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series