GZ-HD7 Accessories Feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old October 4th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #1
New Boot

GZ-HD7 Accessories Feedback

I just wanted to get a quick poll from anyone that uses this camera and see what accessories they have bought and what their reviews are of them. Example: How much does the Add-on Mic help when filming in noisy areas like a wedding reception?

Specific accessories:

MZ-V8U - Stereo Mic
GL-V0746U - Wide Conversion Lens
GL-V1846U - Tele Conversion Lens

Thanks.
Brandon Freer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Brandon
I bought 2 longlife Batteries from Amazon. They are OEM Li-Ion and were very cheap 9 UK pounds (under $20) each and they work really well and do have consistent long life. They protrude to just level with the viewfinder when it is extended so are 'just' ok. They have a cable that you plug in between the battery and the normal dc input. At first I thought this meant the power contacts on the battery were dummies, in fact the power is drawn through the contacts once the camera has been tricked into thinking it is getting dc power...I discovered this when I took out the cable and it kept running. These batteries dont report to the onboard battery level metering...but I can live with that
Also have a Skylight filter on and polarising filter for when I need it.
I bought the camera to replace a broken SD and will use it mainly for Mountain Biking, climbing filming. Carrying stuff is an issue especially on multi day trips so i am pleased with a monopod that i have adapted to make a really steady shoulder mount...next project is to intergrate it with my cycle pump!!
Simon Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Freer View Post
Example: How much does the Add-on Mic help when filming in noisy areas like a wedding reception?
The MZ-V8U Stereo Mic finally is available. I found the on-board mic worked well EXCEPT when there was even a small amount of breeze. The wind passes over the suface mount mic. The wind filter doesn't help much.

So I may get the V8U because it has a foam wind filter.
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Simon,

Speaking of shoulder mounts...have you seen this make-shift steadicam?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

For a cheap do-it-yourself it may be worth a look. I am just using my collapsible tripod right now and I think it definitely eliminates most of the ois issues people were talking about.

Thanks for the info on the battery pack. I have been using the standard Ac plug that came with the camera, but I am going to be buying a longer life battery soon.
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #5
New Boot

Hey Steve,

I also noticed the wind issue when I was filming my son running around in the backyard. I was experimenting with tracking shots and different angles and pans of him and I did notice some slight wind noise when I was moving around faster.

If you get the MIC be sure and let us know how well it works.

Thanks.
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Brandon.
I reckon that a woundnt be too difficult to do to my mono shoulder mount as an adaption. I know it sounds horribly shonky but most the stuff i do is adventure filming so carrying and using stuff = access.
Simon Gee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series