Strange Behaviour of the HD7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old November 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Strange Behaviour of the HD7

Has anyone experienced a "stuck" motor sound from your camera whenever you turn it on? This has happened to me a couple of times in the past, and the other day it happened three times in a row. I can't point out where it is coming from - Lens, HD, ? Any thoughts? My solution... turn it off, and then turn it on again. It is umpredictbale, and cannot be pinpointed to a specific situation.

Also, I have been experienced "grainy" or "pixelated" images from playing with the White Balance settings and shooting under poor light conditions - Night and day compared to an outdoors/shinny day footage. My only question here is... Is this normal behaviour or do you believe there is something wrong with the camera?

Thanks!
Adrian Vargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #2
New Boot

I have never heard any sounds like that at all. Sounds like there might be a problem. However I know very little about this camera technically, so wait to hear the overall reply. Just wanted to give you my input. Good Luck!
Chad M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not too sure about the strange noises, but the noise in the low light video is normal. The HD7 has been quite infamous for poor low light performance.
Ray Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #4
New Boot

Not surprising, I mean it only does have 1/5" CCD's after all. Be kind of cool if they released a successor to it with 1/4" CCD's....
John Hong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

As a filmmaker, I light my shots anyway, so it's not an issue, but yeah.
Ray Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM   #6
New Boot

Yeh, low light is no good. But back to the original thread, I do get that motor noise quite a bit, especially if I have just folded the LCD panel and open it back up. I don't like it either.... Anybody else hears that motor noise?
Jean-Jacques Gaudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The sound you hear is a type of internal servo that changes between the LCD and the Viewfinder standby trigers. if it's the same sound i hear this is how you can re produce the sound.

Open your LCD, Fire up the cam, Open the lens cover, after you see video on the LCD, Close the LCD and pull back the View finder to get image out of it.

What happens when you close the LCD is the camera is going into stand by mode because the view finder is closed. Once you open(pull) the view finder you will go back out of standby.

I also believe that there is a setting for primary display in the menu. You can choose from the view finder or the LCD. Not sure if that effects the standby at all or not.

I really can't tell you what the sound is. But it's based on the camera turning on and off,standby. I just think it's the mechanics getting ready to shoot. During the sound the lens moves back and forth as i am sure the harddrive does.

The only thing I am really worried about is harddrive failure but thats not related to this thread.

Mike
Michael Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Major Player

To add to the symptoms, I got this noise for the first time today. and I also noticed the picture jumping around in the viewfinder. the problem, due to the jumping picture might be coming from the POS image stabilization system. because at least with me the two issues seem to happen together.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

to find out if it's the IS. try to reproduce the shake with the LCD. if you can't then it's not the IS.

Try the steps i listed above to see if you can reproduce the noise as well.

as far as the IS. i never have it on so im not sure how bad things get with it.. but again just try with lcd also.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #10
New Boot

Werid noise and shaking image from HD7

I am also getting the weird sound and shaking image. I am currently transferring video to my computer and it makes the sound randomly and for 5 seconds to 15 seconds. It also occured today while i was shooting. and yes I found the remedy to be turning off the camera and turning it back on. But if it is a problem I would like to know what it is so i can have it repaired.
Cam McKinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #11
New Boot

Turn IS off

I ended up turning the IS off, and end of story. Besides, it does a lousy job.
Adrian Vargas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series