DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   mic in help please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/108970-mic-help-please.html)

Simon Gee November 27th, 2007 05:54 PM

mic in help please

Today my Azden SGM-1X arrived.
This has a 3pin XLR
In order to connect to the HD7 I need to make a cable...my local 'radio shack' equivalent is pants.
I have a XLR 3 pin female and a stereo 3.5
So do you know the pinouts for this and more importantly if there is anything special that needs to sit in line...or can i just go straight into the HD7

Gerry Gallegos November 27th, 2007 08:01 PM

Mic input

the best way to do this (on a modest budget) is with one of these XLR adapter box like the Beachtek (even though some people here dont like them they are tons better than just a cable adapter) which gives you a proper balanced signal between the microphone and the XLR box, so you can have longer runs to the mic(for Booming). or you can have a custom cable made by your local electronics guy. the reason is that the input to your cam is a 3.5mm "stereo" (true stereo), which works in a VERY different way than a XLR to TRS (also known as a stereo 1/4") cable adapters, which then you would probably use a stereo 1/4" to stereo 3.5mm adapter (like what you would use to hook up 1/4" stereo headphone to an ipod or something along the lines). this is the wrong way. this will end up giving you the same signal into both channels but one would be out of phase (meaning NO sound when you render, not to mention a serious headache trying to figure out) which some one is also having a problem here in the forum as well. the proper way to make this adapter cable is to unbalance the XLR by wiring Pin 3 and pin 1 together (this will give you an unbalanced mono signal), and then at the stereo 3.5mm wiring the shield to shield and using the same conductor that went to pin2 and not using the wire that went to pin3 at the XLR and wiring this wire to the tip and the ring of the 3.5mm. this will spread the unbalanced mono signal into both the left and right channels of the camera. if you have an music store with a repair department they can probably make this cable for you really quickly. if you find a cable pre-made that goes from XLR to 3.5mm stereo, please check that pin2 on the XLR shows up at the tip and the ring of the 3.5mm. and that pin 3 is either connected to pin 1 or to nothing. but remember that you should NOT use this cable for long runs more than say 20 or so feet or you risk picking up RF noise. if you use one of those XLR boxes you can run the cable for quite a bit, not to mention having independent input control so if you want to add a wireless and can also help you out if youre going to hook up to a mixing board that outputs line level (much hotter than mic level). hope this helps.

Gerry Gallegos November 27th, 2007 08:08 PM

adapter cable

sorry... I thought I should simplify the pin outs.( I tend to make explanations long winded)

pin1 XLR = shield on the 3.5mm
PIn2 XLR = tip AND ring on 3.5mm
Pin3 XLR= jumper between pin1 and 3 at the XLR

I liked your movie by the way.

Simon Gee November 28th, 2007 03:09 PM

fantastic answer!! youv've also answered all those questions I was too afraid too ask...im cutting and pasting you answer onto my desktop.
S