Mpeg-2-ts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old January 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Mpeg-2-ts

I'm interested in this (GZ-HD7) camera but I'm uncertain about a few things.

I see the recording format listed as MPEG-2-TS. Pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that's different from HDV, otherwise why not list it as such?

My questions:

Can I take the MPEG-2-TS 1080i file created by this camera and drop it in a Final Cut Pro HDV timeline without issues?

Can anyone who edits with Final Cut Pro share there experience with regard to performance, compatibility, and/or workflow?

Do I need to covert the MPEG-2-TS file first?

Does it downconvert to SD with equal results to HDV?

Thanks-
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi

The GZ-HD7 is a great Cam. In Auto mode its not that Great. ( point and shoot ) But it shines in manual mode. You can get it razer sharp. I found it comes down to the software.. I bought one 6 months back return it didn't like the footage. Got the canon didn't like it either. Read a book By Steve Mullen JVC GZ-HD7 Production and Post-production Handbook it open up my eye's. So much I bought a GZ-HD7 and use the book as a guide with the DVD jump start guide. The footage is unreal. I love camcorder review sites also, but most of there views or "out of the Box" point and shoot. They tell alot about the cam and its features and settings from the factory. There is alot more to this cam. I also read alot in the UK sites. the GZ-HD7 got a score in the high 90's on there test site same as the canon and others. But !!!! there are some things they should have put on it and they didn't. Color adjusments, audio control, and a Head phone jack !! those things would have took it over the Top . Maybe the next model will have them. With all these new cams the problem is the software right now! That is were we are hurting. But it will come. Sorry so long. This is just my point of view. and any of the new Camera's will do a good job they are all have software problems one is better at one thing and the other is better at this. I don't think there will ever be a "One does it all" , But The JVC is not a BAD CAMERA

Len
Leonard Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You'd have to run your clips through MPEG streamclip, that's all I know. I don't have a mac or FCP so I can't really help, sorry. Someone who can should post here soon.
Ray Grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

You can run your clips through MPEG streamclip turn them out as AIC files, and then drop them in FCP6 if you use the one of the 'Easy Everio Setups' files which you can use with FCP

i do that and get cracking results, I also sometimes shoot in 1440CBR, put the clips in a playlist on the camera and capture into FCP with a firewire cable just like a tape based machine.

I follow Steve Mullen's Excellent handbook for the best and clearest instructions. Works every time.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series