DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   recording interrupted- Hard drive issues on brand new HD7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/112054-recording-interrupted-hard-drive-issues-brand-new-hd7.html)

Tom Foss January 9th, 2008 09:42 PM

recording interrupted- Hard drive issues on brand new HD7

Hi,

I have just purchased an HD7 and am occasionally having some issues when recording on fullHD. The recording has, on occasion, stopped abruptly and displayed an error message (which I wish that I had had the good sense to write down, however I was in the thick of things when it happened), it then required me to choose to restore a particular file by pressing ok. After restoring (which took no time at all) i was able to go back and record again, however I had lost all data from the time at which the error occurred.

This error has happened while the camera is recording on battery and mains power, whilst on long recordings mounted on a tripod and also on hand held, shorter recordings. However I have not been able to reproduce it when required. I have noticed that it occurs mainly on recordings of a longer duration and also that after one error it seems more susceptible to subsequent errors in the same recording session.

I have tried formatting the drive through the menu system but this did not fix the problem.

Has anyone had this error with their HD7? Is this something that I should take to the manufacturer?

The next time that the error occurs I will make sure to write down the exact details of the message and post it here.

cheers,

Tom

Leonard Richardson January 9th, 2008 10:40 PM

Hi

What were you recording? Live music? If so these HDD drives dont like to record in High sound pressure. Makes them skip. I havn't had my HD7 do this, but my 505 HDD does sometime. Only when i'm recording a band. I got the HD7 so I can install a SDHC card to record to for that problem. I have a 8 gig so far there is a 16 and a 32 gig coming soon. If it dont stop I would call JVC service center or exchange it for a new one at your dealer if you can. I talk to one other person that was having the same problem and it was the subs the band was using in there PA system. I think I read of someone with a sony HDD had the same problem driving in a fast car. Not always but most of the time it is some type of pressure. Could also be a bad drive. Good luck there hasn't been that many of them bad. Because I read and look around all the time. When there is a problem people like to talk about it !

Len

Tom Foss January 9th, 2008 11:49 PM

hi Len,

yes I was recording live sound in quite a loud environment on both occasions when this happened. so is the SD card a way of getting around this?

on a related note, i just read on the JVC website that the camera will not record above 3000m altitude. Would this be another pressure/hard drive related problem? I am planning a snowboard trip to the Himalayas next month and was very keen to document the trip on my camera. Would recording to card be a way around this?

I read that you can only record in SP to a memory card though, still would be better than nothing.

cheers,

Leonard Richardson January 10th, 2008 12:17 AM

Hi

Yes that is true . SP only, but that is still 19mbps VBR on good sunny day the footage should look real good. and it is still "HD 1440x1080i ". Pull the SD card out and stick in your SD card Reader. I'm sure it has to do with air pressure. Maybe on a update they might change the SD card writing settings. If we ever get any updates. I just got a new Pentax K10 afew months back and I have already had about 3 to 4 updates. They fix afew and add even more setting and stuff to the camera. Only if it would rub off. "Hint JVC" But I do like this little cam it does rock !!!!! Have you read Steve Mullen's JVC GZ-HD7 Production and Post-production Handbook. It is really a good book for someone who owns a GZ-HD7. It helped me alot. I see they have them on ebay also. Good luck and have a good trip. Post some footage when you get back

Len

Tom Foss January 10th, 2008 02:54 AM

video management file broken

i've just found the error message that i'm getting

"video management file is broken. to record/playback video recovery is required. recover?"

So I guess that if the error is related to high SPL then I'll buy a couple of SPHC cards and see how I go. Hopefully they will work at high altitude as well. Its strange though as a friend of mine was recording on stage at a large outdoor concert 1 week ago on an identical HD7 and had no issues with interrupted recording.

However, regarding memory cards... I'm looking on ebay at different cards, there are a lot Taiwanese cards cheaper and higher capacity (16GB) then available commercially in Australia. They state that they are class 6 (6 MB/s) which is what the camera specifies, however the Sandisk Turbo III has write speeds of up to 24 MB/s.

Are the Sandisk products above spec or am I reading the spec wrong?

Plus do the larger capacity cards work on the HD7, has anyone tried them out?

cheers!

Leonard Richardson January 10th, 2008 06:41 AM

Hi

Always the faster the better on write speed ! I found that outside recording of a band is not that bad at all, unless you are right in frt of the speakers. the pressure seems to move out. When you are in a hall or Room this is a problem. You can try different setups and might find a spot you can recorder and not get that error. I wish we had the 16 - 32 here! I havn't seen them 4sale yet, But they are talking about them. ( Pic's ) Hoped this helped alittle good luck

Len