Apple "iMovie 08 Guide" added to JVC GZ-HD7 Handbook at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old March 17th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #1
HDV Cinema

Apple "iMovie 08 Guide" added to JVC GZ-HD7 Handbook

For the last 6-months I’ve been working with Apple’s iMovie 08. Despite negative reviews -- I’ve found iMovie 08 to be a wonderfully innovative NLE that lets me edit HD and SD very rapidly. (Our HD7 also often received bad reviews. Seems some reviewers really don’t take the time to explore new products.)

I have become so fond of working fast that I’ve written a 70-page "iMovie 08 Guide." I have completely eliminated the need to wait while MPEG Streamclip converts TOD files! No more long waits!

And if I want -- I can export an iMovie 08 Project to FCE or FCP (using XML) for “finishing.” Obviously, Apple intends this to be a “combo.”

My "iMovie 08 Guide" not only covers editing GZ-HD7 video with iMovie 08, it also covers editing HDV, DV, and AVCHD with iMovie 08.

I’ve added the "iMovie 08 Guide" to my "JVC GZ-HD7 Handbook" that continues to be available for download from knowledge-download.com at:
http://www.knowledge-download.com/JVCHD7/index.html

If you are a Mac person, you might want to give iMovie 08 a try. It plays nicely with ProRes 422, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro, and DVD Studio Pro. I’ve been happily burning HD DVDs using DVD Studio Pro. Next, I’m going to try creating 5.1 soundtracks with Soundtrack Pro. Of course, SD exports from iMovie 08 work with both GarageBand and iDVD. For a good review: http://macteens.com/magazine/feature...ie_08_matters/

>> Appendix A: Editing HDV and DV with iMovie 08
> Recommended iMovie Settings
> Editing GZ-HD7 TOD Files
Create a Virtual Disk
TOD to MOV
Changing File Dates
Import MOV Clips into iMovie 08
> Capture and Import DV, HDV, and AVCHD
Capture DV
Capture HDV
Import AVCHD
Harddisk Import
SD Card Import
Saving SD Card Video to Disk
Saving SD Card Video to a Disk Image
Saving SD Card Video to a FireWire or USB Disk Drive
DVD Import
iMovie 08 Clip Preview and Import
> DV Quality Loss: the Problem
Scaling Operations
Different Source Resolutions
Different Source Aspect-ratios
Clips in Event Browser Use Project Crop Setting
Color Correction
Horizontal Resolution Loss
Export: Progressive and Interlace
Progressive
Interlace
> DV Quality Loss: the Solution
HD Import: Full or Large
Using MPEG Streamclip
Import Converted DV
> iMovie 08 Editing Workflow Tips
Event Library Editing
Slow-down or Speed-up Clips Sidebar
Project Editing
Crop and Fill Sidebar
Video Inserts (cut-a-way) Sidebar
> iMovie 08 Export to iDVD
> Other Export Options
Working With iDVD
Working With GarageBand
Export 1080 HD from iMovie 08
> Export to QuickTime
ProRes Export
H.264 Export
Motion JPEG-A Export
Set Export Frame Size
Apple Compressor 3 and DVD Studio Pro 4
Create Windows Media Movie Using MPEG Streamclip
> Burn BD Using Ulead DiscRecorder Under Parallels
> Burn AVCHD Disc using Nero 8 Ultra under Parallels

Best Regards,
Steve
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I really agree with you.

I have started to use iMovie 08 as a "pre-editor" when I want to test something.
When I have put together some clips I just export a XML file to FCP

Why donīt you sell that guide seperately for something like 9,95 USD.

There might be people here that want to know more about iMovie 08 but donīt have the JVC HD7.

Cheers

Hans
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

So glad to hear you are finding 08 useful. I've got 10 hours of Japan video shot from 1985 to 1991 when I lived there. Being able to use Events to organize this video will make the task really EZ.

I am thinking of doing a iMovie 8 Guide. Right now I must finish a product review by the end of March.

I hope everyone understands that MPEG Streamclip is no longer needed to do the hours long conversions of TOD to AIC!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Steve

I just reread the content of your iMovie guide and there you say you have the solution to the problem with "DV quality loss"

Iīve tried every possible way there is and i have also been reading the different solutions given on Apple Discussion forum but no matter what there is always a qaulity loss when I export via quickTime.

That is why I only use the program as a pre-editor and export via XML to FCP

What is your solution to the problem?

Cheers

Hans
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:44 AM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Ledel View Post
Iīve tried every possible way there is and i have also been reading the different solutions given on Apple Discussion forum but no matter what there is always a qaulity loss when I export via quickTime.
The key is to test proposed methods in 08 verses the same clips is exported from FCP. And, you need to use a resolution chart to measure the difference. It took over three months to work out the HOW. Yes -- there will always be a time difference, but not enough to justify using FCP in IMHO.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

All my test have started using some clips from FCP exported as QT movie Not self contained to imovie and then exported a QT movie from iMovie.

If i send a XML file back to FCP everything is OK, bit if i import a file created in imovie 08 there is always a loss in quality. I also always used the "trick" to open the file in QT player and raised the qaulity there but nothing helps.
I can tell you that I donīt need a resulotion chart to see the difference.
It is pretty clear

It is really not that big deal since I use FCP as my main NLE but it is pretty funny that Apple doesnīt give you the option to export a full quality file when using DV

Cheers

Hans
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM   #7
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Ledel View Post
I also always used the "trick" to open the file in QT player and raised the qaulity there but nothing helps.
I can tell you that I donīt need a resulotion chart to see the difference.
It is pretty clear
That "trick" doesn't work -- just one more myth posted. I use a rez. chart for checking HD. With DV you can see the difference.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:26 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

Here's an update on the "iMovie 08 Guide" within my "JVC GZ-HD7 Handbook."

I've revised the "iMovie 08 Guide" to include about 25 more pages on editing with iMovie 08. At the same time, about 5-pages have been removed. These pages cover the import of AVCHD. This is no loss because the HD7 uses MPEG-2.

At the same time, I've released a new 130-page eBook, the "DVC Guide to iMovie 08 Editing." This book is for those that who aren't shooting with an HD7. Nevertheless, it does have an Appendix that covers using the HD7 with iMovie 08.

You can find my new eBook at:

http://www.knowledge-download.com/iMovie_08_Guide/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series