Dreaded white DOT - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old June 16th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #31
New Boot

Since I'm past the first period of my warranty (free parts or free labor... I forget which), and I'm pretty much filming every week or every two weeks, I'm going to wait for a while before getting this fixed. In the meantime, I'm using a friend's HD7 as my "A" camera and have relegated the "white dot" HD7 as the "B" camera, taking care to turn it off whenever possible to limit the prevalence of the dot. With this method, I should only see the dot on maybe 5% of my remaining footage, and I can fix that in Final Cut Pro, so it's not a huge concern. Just an annoyance.

My friend had purchased his HD7 at a Best Buy and had paid for their warranty, and we were GOING to see if we could take advantage of that benefit... except no Best Buy remotely near us has one in stock. All they have is the HD6, which I have zero interest in due to the lack of manual controls/focus ring, and the horrible front placement of the accessory shoe. (I have a mic that would stick so far out on that camera, it would be in the top of every shot!)

Once we have a decent break time in our filming (or maybe once we're done), we'll go the repair route.
David Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #32
Major Player

OK Guys I appreciate the situations, I was in that position myself and had to wait for a break before taking it back.

I'd love to pick up another one for the odd occasion I have need of two but since things are happening on the JVC front at the moment, I'm not sure whether to wait and see if they come up with a true replacement for the HD7 with some proper progressive capture. Since I'm not in a rush, the latter option is more likely.

Keep me up to speed when you get sorted, for, well no apparent reason really, just interested,

all the best

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #33
New Boot

The strangest thing happened. I'm preparing some demo material to show when returning the camera to point out the problem. But all of a sudden the white dot has changed location! It's now located in the bottom right half of the screen instead of center middle...

Edit: Hm, ok the other dot is back, so I've got 2 dots, they show up depending on the amount of light... I'll try to make a screenshot with both pixels visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Dreaded white DOT-white_dot.jpg  
Sander Spies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #34
Major Player

How odd. Mind you, mine was always intermittent. More on than off towards the end but still, not always there. Thing with that is, you can guarantee that when it's the most important, that's when it would appear.
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #35
New Boot

Well, the cam is back to JVC. It'll be back in 2 to 3 weeks. Let's hope the software update/adjustment works!
My (3!) dots on video: http://vimeo.com/1260185
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #36
Major Player

Nice One Sander, and take heart, mine is STILL white dot free and working like a little gem
Check out some of my little experiments. And there's quite a few nice people on Vimeo using the same camera.

http://www.vimeo.com/user506080/videos

Your dots behave like my dot did, sometimes larger sometimes smaller depending on the background it's laid against. In fact, I couldn't see the one on the left until right near the end of your clip.

So, let me know when you're dot-free.
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Yo, this sucks man!! I got a dot, just one and I noticed it a few months back. I thought it was my LCD screen, then noticed video in other peeps screens had it too, so then I even noticed it on my JVC LCD screen!! Anyways, Ive had mine, pretty much since these babies started selling 2 yrs (??) ago. Anyways, I JUST registered mine tonight, is there anyway into tricking the JVC site and buying an extended 5 yr warranty?? Would they require receipt or anything or just the fact that I registered it last night?? If they required receipt (I could get a reprint from Circuit City)...any possible way of photoshopping and changing the date or something?? Anyways, hope everyone elses gets fixed!! Thanks!!

GC
Gary Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #38
Major Player

That's bad news dude. Best speak to Circuit City first, they would probably be more sympathetic to printing you a receipt with a new date on. I know that the shop I bought mine from printed out the receipt for me to send off with the camera because I forgot to bring my original one to the shop with me.

This doesn't seem like a widespread problem as there's only four people I know who have experienced it, but it's still something I'm sure that JVC are well aware of.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
That's bad news dude. Best speak to Circuit City first, they would probably be more sympathetic to printing you a receipt with a new date on. I know that the shop I bought mine from printed out the receipt for me to send off with the camera because I forgot to bring my original one to the shop with me.

This doesn't seem like a widespread problem as there's only four people I know who have experienced it, but it's still something I'm sure that JVC are well aware of.
Yea, it just kinda sucks you know. I got this thing when it FIRST came out which was like $1499. I think Im gonna have to get on the inside with someone and see if they cant print me out a new receipt with a new purchase date. Im gonna see if there is no way I can photoshop you know? Somehow lay the receipt on printer paper and reprint. Those Circuit City receipts are CRAPPY, they fade out completely after a few months. I could probably get a faded one out, copy everything onto it lol.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #40
Major Player

Or do your photoshopping and then print it out to look like you just photocopied the real receipt… send photocopies of the warranty and stuff to back it up, like you 'don't trust the post with the real stuff'. HA!

Send them a DVD of clips showing the white dot too, that's what I did and it helped.
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
Or do your photoshopping and then print it out to look like you just photocopied the real receipt… send photocopies of the warranty and stuff to back it up, like you 'don't trust the post with the real stuff'. HA!

Send them a DVD of clips showing the white dot too, that's what I did and it helped.
lol, yea. I gotta figure something out, I dont know. Hopefully I can somehow trick them into fixing my camera for free. Ill keep updating this as things go! Thanks
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #42
New Boot

Be careful though with faking a receipt, it may get you on some sort of blacklist by JVC (technically it's fraud). They can probably also figure out from the camera's firmware/internal memory/whatever when the first recording was made.

Since this is a somewhat known problem, not caused by using the device in a wrong way, they might repair it for free, or at a low cost. All they do is update/recalibrate the sofware (at least that's what I am told).

Ps: mine is back from JVC, I can pick it up tomorrow at the store!
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #43
Major Player

good point Sander. I guess being more up front about it would be better.

Let us know how yours is tomorrow. looking forward to another satisfied customer!
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #44
New Boot

A quick update: it looks like the dots are gone! I'm going to test some more tomorrow.
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #45
Tourist

Sander...

Did you send yours off, or did the dot just go away. I've started noticing it on my camera, sometimes it's there for a full shot, sometimes it's not at all.

Hard to figure out what it is... it definetly appears when I'm wearing a white t-shirt and close to the camera... if I step farther back it goes away instantly. I thought it was a focus issue, but after messing with that, the focus itself didn't appear to cause the issue. I think certain colors are triggering the dot on mine...

Regardless, I'm probably going to send mine off soon, because it's annoying me, alot!
Richard Boyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series