MAC USERS: you do NOT need to CONVERT TOD to AIC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old April 8th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

MAC USERS: you do NOT need to CONVERT TOD to AIC

I keep finding posts that tell HD7/HD3 owners that if they use Macs they MUST convert TOD files to AIC (or some other Apple codec) using the QT Player or MPEG Streamclip. This is not true -- even though I was one of those who posted that you need to use MPEG Streamclip. My bad. Which is why I updated my HD7 HANDBOOK.

1) iMovie 06 -- you must use QT 7.3.1 or EARLIER or you must download the latest version of the JVC QT drivers for use with QT 7.4. (http://www2.cli.co.jp/products/ne/up...c3e_update.htm) Now you can import TOD files directly.

HOWEVER -- iMovie 08 will still waste hours converting to AIC! And, these AIC files will be huge!

2) iMovie 08 -- you do NOT need to use QT Player or MPEG Streamclip!

You do need to use an application to "change" .TOD files to .MPG files. The MPG file is about the same size TOD file.

The MPEG-2 data is NOT decompresed and recompressed. NO quality is lost! And, the process takes only a minutes.

Plus, you can use an application to Change the Date of these files so when imported the files create an Event with the correct shooting date.

iMovie 08 does NOT convert the .MPG files to another codec. (They simply become 1920x1080 .MOV files in an iEvent folder.)

3) FCP -- yes you can use MPEG Streamclip to convert to AIC. However, the files must be 1440x1080. (You can also capture 1440CBR via FireWire.)

Remember the 1920x1080 .MOV files that iMovie 08 writes to an iEvent folder. You can import these 1920x1080 MPEG-2 files directly, as a folder, into FCP! FCP will NOT convert them! It turns-out that, like Premiere, FCP will work with MPEG-2 files.

Guess what Sequence codec you can use? XDCAM EX or ProRes 422.

XDCAM EX is a perfect match to the JVC's 1920x1080 30Mbps VBR MPEG-2. So choose it.

Now under Render Control, choose the FX PREVIEW codec to be ProRes. (Color will always render to ProRes.) But, because the XDCAM EX codec is realtime -- you won't likely need to render.
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Tourist

Thanks to Steve...

Every Mac/HD7 user... Steve is right. It's worth buying his handbook. I purchased it about 2 weeks ago & initially thought I had wasted my money until I read something on this forum (posted by Steve) that prompted me to review his section on iMovie08. His instructions work flawlessly. You WILL be so glad you bought this book. I have had so many second thoughts about getting the HD7. I bought it 1 hour after I discovered the announcement about iLife08 only to be extremely annoyed by lack of support for JVC HDD cams. Steve's work around is brilliant. (The main reason I joined this forum is to tell you all it's a worthwhile purchase!) Have I convinced you yet??

Cheers & happy importing!
Marc Colyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Tourist

Jvc Gz-hd7

Dear Steve
I bought your book JVC- HD7
I have been reading it. It is great, Thanks
I use I Movie 8
I am confused which software to use MPEG Screamclip or Visualhub to convert .dot files. what is the pros and Cons of each one

Which software to use so not to loose quality of Full Definition. Is there any way import to I movie 8 in FD

If you have any update to your book How can I download it

Thanks
Mohammed Arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes Steve, i would like to know if there's an update to the HD7 book, can we who have already bought the original book, get the updated bits?

I like the way you simplify things for me (Bit of a novice you see) and since I don't have iMovie 08, wondered if I still have to 'convert-or-capture' 1440 res files. I don't find your comments above very clear for my .

Essentially, because of time, and particularly because of the excessively large files, '.TODs straight into FCP' would be great, either 1920 or 1440. Is there a way other than using iMovie 08? Is it in the updated bits of the book?

Cheers

Wayne
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series