GZ-HD7 and manual control at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,029
GZ-HD7 and manual control

I am pretty close to buying 2 Eviros the HD-7s most likley but I have a question. All I need it for is to be a cover shot for one of my 2 GY-HD100s in a wedding scenerio. Can I manuly adjust the Iris? An sepratly manually adjust the shutter? In dark churches I sometimes drop the shutter to 1/30 to get more light on a wide shot the strobing effect is'nt noticable.

Thanks
Randy
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I am pretty close to buying 2 Eviros the HD-7s most likley but I have a question. All I need it for is to be a cover shot for one of my 2 GY-HD100s in a wedding scenerio. Can I manuly adjust the Iris? An sepratly manually adjust the shutter? In dark churches I sometimes drop the shutter to 1/30 to get more light on a wide shot the strobing effect is'nt noticable.

Thanks
Randy
Randy,

HD7's biggest plus point are it's Manual controls! It's fantastic! See this link: http://camcorder.jvc.com/product.jsp...Id=141&page=12

I am using it since last one year and I am fully satiesfied!.

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Posts: 711
Yes, you can. On the back of the unit are three buttons. One sets aperture, one sets shutter speed, and the third allows exposure compensation in 1/3 stop increments.
Setting only one value (aperture or shutter speed) locks in in place while the other value will adjust as necessary.

There are two down sides to adjusting and locking either aperture, shutter, or both. The first is adjustments are only in full stop increments. The other is that if you have not disabled auto gain in the camera's menu it will still activate in low light situations. Auto gain doesn't appear to intensify more than 12 db, however.

In my experience taking advantage of the exposure compensation button (labeled "bright") is much more precise as the auto gain adjusts gently over time which is much easier to deal with in post as opposed to cameras that adjust quickly.

In low light situations it appears to be much better to lock the shutter speed as the camera will attempt to produce an acceptable image by dropping the shutter speed so low as to record unacceptable blurring.

Once you download the data, reduce saturation by about 10-15% before doing any extensive color correction.

By the way, I understand many of the best features of the HD7 have been removed from the newer model. Get them now, as the newer models are much more auto-function oriented.
__________________
Waldemar

Last edited by Waldemar Winkler; May 6th, 2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,029
Thanks guys, Circuit city has em for $999 US with 18 months no intrest financing. I think im going to get 2.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,029
o.k. this is weird, I went to Circuit city to pick up my new cameras. I went in lsat week and they had a ton under the counter when I asked they told me it was being phased out(which I knew) I said you sold that many that quick? She said "We were robbed" the only ones left are open boxes which I think I will go back and get. They have them for $818 each although one doesnt have a battery. Will the JVC batterys from my GY-HD100 work with it? I hate the open box because I need to at least make sure I can use them with Edius my editing software.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
o.k. this is weird, I went to Circuit city to pick up my new cameras. I went in lsat week and they had a ton under the counter when I asked they told me it was being phased out(which I knew) I said you sold that many that quick? She said "We were robbed" the only ones left are open boxes which I think I will go back and get. They have them for $818 each although one doesnt have a battery. Will the JVC batterys from my GY-HD100 work with it? I hate the open box because I need to at least make sure I can use them with Edius my editing software.
Robbed? That's BS. I'm sure the floor personnel were told to pull the product and have it packaged for shipping to third or fourth party discount dealers who will pick up the inventory and sell it online.

If the model number of the batteries match, they will likely work. However, the HD7 "data battery" contains circuitry that provides detailed voltage drain info to the camera which may not be contained in the HD100 batteries. This data link is critical for the camera to function.

After market batteries don't have this circuitry and won't power the camera if you simply snap them in place. They all come with a short cable that feeds power into the camera's DC power port. The camera functions because it has the power it needs. You won't have any idea of how much usable power remains in the battery.
__________________
Waldemar
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,029
Well I gottem, I bought both at $818 each. They were wrong about the one not having a battery they both did. one is missing a charger though I wonder how much they are?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancashire UK
Posts: 496
Seems like a good price to me, even given the dodgy circs of the open box situation.

I hope they work out fine for you, I'm sure they will
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Trustee
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,029
I knew I wouldnt be THAT impressed with the image quality but for what I need it for it will be fine. I just need to learn how to get the most of it so I turned off the auto gain kicked up the sharpness a bit and it seems good. I'll take them on my first wedding saturday.I was impressd with Edius my editing software, I was able to hook up the camera copy over the files and go right to editing without any transcoding or drivers. . .nice.btw how do you format the drive or erase clips?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I knew I wouldnt be THAT impressed with the image quality but for what I need it for it will be fine. I just need to learn how to get the most of it so I turned off the auto gain kicked up the sharpness a bit and it seems good. I'll take them on my first wedding saturday.I was impressd with Edius my editing software, I was able to hook up the camera copy over the files and go right to editing without any transcoding or drivers. . .nice.btw how do you format the drive or erase clips?
What you were missing is the AC power supply, which will charge a battery IF it is attached tot he camera. A separate charger is around $70 at B&H.

Deleting clips: After turning camera on, press PLAY/Record button to get into playback mode. Open LCD. Play/Record Button is on left side of body of camera. Then press the "F" button (lower left corner of LCD). From there you should be able to navigate with the joystick to find the delete clip menu.
__________________
Waldemar
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network