DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   iMovie 08: TOD to MPG ... still greyed out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/122428-imovie-08-tod-mpg-still-greyed-out.html)

Waldemar Winkler May 26th, 2008 10:54 AM

iMovie 08: TOD to MPG ... still greyed out

New thread to "Another iMovie 08" thread.

When attempting to import mpg files converted from tod files into iMovie 08, the files are STILL greyed out. Followed Steve's updated "Appendix A" instructions to the letter.

Original images recorded in 1440CBR.

That must leave a system issue as the problem, right? So, I'm going to repair permissions as well as reset PRAM. Will let you know what happens.

Any other ideas?

Waldemar Winkler May 26th, 2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler (Post 883391)
New thread to "Another iMovie 08" thread.

When attempting to import mpg files converted from tod files into iMovie 08, the files are STILL greyed out. ...

That must leave a system issue as the problem, right? So, I'm going to repair permissions as well as reset PRAM. Will let you know what happens.

DIDN'T WORK.

The new workflow for me is:
Convert tod files to mpg w/ Visual Hub.
Export mpg files as 720p QT movies with MpegStreamclip.

Seems to work.

Steve Mullen May 26th, 2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler (Post 883391)
Original images recorded in 1440CBR.

I'll bet that's the problem. iMovie looks for a mounted disk, two specific folder names, and the right kind of MPG file.

Since iM expects 1440CBR to be captured via FireWire it likely also expects files to be FullHD.

Once I started using files rather than FireWire, I've never gone back to 1440CBR. I shoot everything FullHD.

If I'm correct, recording to SD cards will have the same problem. (:
Thankfully, MPEG Streamclip will solve the problem.

However, you don't need to use VisualHub because MPEG Streamclip directly reads TOD files. You can batch all files directly from the HD7's HDD to a folder. Then import the folder.

You can use AIC at either 960x540 or 1280x720. Either at 29.97fps.

Waldemar Winkler May 27th, 2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 883632)
I'll bet that's the problem. iMovie looks for a mounted disk, two specific folder names, and the right kind of MPG file.

Since iM expects 1440CBR to be captured via FireWire it likely also expects files to be FullHD.

Once I started using files rather than FireWire, I've never gone back to 1440CBR. I shoot everything FullHD.

If I'm correct, recording to SD cards will have the same problem. (:
Thankfully, MPEG Streamclip will solve the problem.

However, you don't need to use VisualHub because MPEG Streamclip directly reads TOD files. You can batch all files directly from the HD7's HDD to a folder. Then import the folder.

You can use AIC at either 960x540 or 1280x720. Either at 29.97fps.

I was using 1440 CBR because I thought it might be a better match to the HD1's 720p I bought from you. Also perhaps a better match with my Canon DV cameras, should I have to mix them (although their 16x9 mode is pretty fuzzy).

Steve Mullen May 27th, 2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler (Post 884111)
I was using 1440 CBR because I thought it might be a better match to the HD1's 720p I bought from you. Also perhaps a better match with my Canon DV cameras, should I have to mix them (although their 16x9 mode is pretty fuzzy).

Actually, since both FullHD and 720p are Square pixels, scaling FullHD to 720p works perfectly. The last thing I shot with the HD1 I mixed with FullHD. These two work great together.

Waldemar Winkler June 15th, 2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 884236)
Actually, since both FullHD and 720p are Square pixels, scaling FullHD to 720p works perfectly. The last thing I shot with the HD1 I mixed with FullHD. These two work great together.

I took 16 clips totaling about 12 minutes of Full HD and, with MPEGstreamclip, and scaled them down to 720p QT movie files for import into FinalCut V.5.1.4. I started the batch process 6 hours ago. The last of the clips is 82% complete. That was a bit much of waiting!
At least I can edit the project.

I already know my version of Final Cut can't manage FullHD files without horrible stuttering on my old G5 1.8G single processor computer. My next project was shot with three cameras. One camera recorded at 1080i, the other at 720p, and the third in dv 16x9 mode. Clearly, the timeline has to be dv 16x9 anamorphic. I'm looking at about three hours of recorded HD video, very long clips, that need to be scaled down to 853X480. There's a feature of MPEG streamclip that offers transcoding to dv 16x9, with a neat check mark for "final cut Ready". I'm wondering about the "advanced" button. Is there anything that needs to be done there, or should it be left alone? Any opinions?

I've got another project coming up this weekend that will be recorded with three cameras. I'm thinking of leaving the HD7 at home and a) shooting it all in SD 4x3 or b) one camera in 720p, and the other two in dv 16x9 mode. Again, any opinions?