iMovie 08: TOD to MPG ... still greyed out at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Posts: 711
iMovie 08: TOD to MPG ... still greyed out

New thread to "Another iMovie 08" thread.

When attempting to import mpg files converted from tod files into iMovie 08, the files are STILL greyed out. Followed Steve's updated "Appendix A" instructions to the letter.

Original images recorded in 1440CBR.

That must leave a system issue as the problem, right? So, I'm going to repair permissions as well as reset PRAM. Will let you know what happens.

Any other ideas?
__________________
Waldemar
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
New thread to "Another iMovie 08" thread.

When attempting to import mpg files converted from tod files into iMovie 08, the files are STILL greyed out. ...

That must leave a system issue as the problem, right? So, I'm going to repair permissions as well as reset PRAM. Will let you know what happens.
DIDN'T WORK.

The new workflow for me is:
Convert tod files to mpg w/ Visual Hub.
Export mpg files as 720p QT movies with MpegStreamclip.

Seems to work.
__________________
Waldemar
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #3
HDV Cinema
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
Original images recorded in 1440CBR.
I'll bet that's the problem. iMovie looks for a mounted disk, two specific folder names, and the right kind of MPG file.

Since iM expects 1440CBR to be captured via FireWire it likely also expects files to be FullHD.

Once I started using files rather than FireWire, I've never gone back to 1440CBR. I shoot everything FullHD.

If I'm correct, recording to SD cards will have the same problem. (:
Thankfully, MPEG Streamclip will solve the problem.

However, you don't need to use VisualHub because MPEG Streamclip directly reads TOD files. You can batch all files directly from the HD7's HDD to a folder. Then import the folder.

You can use AIC at either 960x540 or 1280x720. Either at 29.97fps.
__________________
Switcher's Quick Guide to the Avid Media Composer >>> http://home.mindspring.com/~d-v-c
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I'll bet that's the problem. iMovie looks for a mounted disk, two specific folder names, and the right kind of MPG file.

Since iM expects 1440CBR to be captured via FireWire it likely also expects files to be FullHD.

Once I started using files rather than FireWire, I've never gone back to 1440CBR. I shoot everything FullHD.

If I'm correct, recording to SD cards will have the same problem. (:
Thankfully, MPEG Streamclip will solve the problem.

However, you don't need to use VisualHub because MPEG Streamclip directly reads TOD files. You can batch all files directly from the HD7's HDD to a folder. Then import the folder.

You can use AIC at either 960x540 or 1280x720. Either at 29.97fps.
I was using 1440 CBR because I thought it might be a better match to the HD1's 720p I bought from you. Also perhaps a better match with my Canon DV cameras, should I have to mix them (although their 16x9 mode is pretty fuzzy).
__________________
Waldemar
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #5
HDV Cinema
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
I was using 1440 CBR because I thought it might be a better match to the HD1's 720p I bought from you. Also perhaps a better match with my Canon DV cameras, should I have to mix them (although their 16x9 mode is pretty fuzzy).
Actually, since both FullHD and 720p are Square pixels, scaling FullHD to 720p works perfectly. The last thing I shot with the HD1 I mixed with FullHD. These two work great together.
__________________
Switcher's Quick Guide to the Avid Media Composer >>> http://home.mindspring.com/~d-v-c
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Actually, since both FullHD and 720p are Square pixels, scaling FullHD to 720p works perfectly. The last thing I shot with the HD1 I mixed with FullHD. These two work great together.
I took 16 clips totaling about 12 minutes of Full HD and, with MPEGstreamclip, and scaled them down to 720p QT movie files for import into FinalCut V.5.1.4. I started the batch process 6 hours ago. The last of the clips is 82% complete. That was a bit much of waiting!
At least I can edit the project.

I already know my version of Final Cut can't manage FullHD files without horrible stuttering on my old G5 1.8G single processor computer. My next project was shot with three cameras. One camera recorded at 1080i, the other at 720p, and the third in dv 16x9 mode. Clearly, the timeline has to be dv 16x9 anamorphic. I'm looking at about three hours of recorded HD video, very long clips, that need to be scaled down to 853X480. There's a feature of MPEG streamclip that offers transcoding to dv 16x9, with a neat check mark for "final cut Ready". I'm wondering about the "advanced" button. Is there anything that needs to be done there, or should it be left alone? Any opinions?

I've got another project coming up this weekend that will be recorded with three cameras. I'm thinking of leaving the HD7 at home and a) shooting it all in SD 4x3 or b) one camera in 720p, and the other two in dv 16x9 mode. Again, any opinions?
__________________
Waldemar
Waldemar Winkler is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network