DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   NEW GZ-HD30 and GZ-HD40 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/123852-new-gz-hd30-gz-hd40.html)

Steve Mullen June 16th, 2008 03:34 AM

NEW GZ-HD30 and GZ-HD40

June 16, 2008 – JVC greatly expanded its high definition camcorder line-up today with the announcement of three new hard disk drive HD Everios. For the first time, the company joins the majority of camcorder manufacturers by allowing all new models to record in the AVCHD format. Two of the camcorders, the GZ-HD30 ($999 MSRP) and GZ-HD40 ($1299 MSRP), also record in the MPEG-2 TS format. The third, the GZ-HD10 ($799 MSRP), only records in AVCHD.

All three feature a newly designed CMOS sensor, also a first from a manufacturer that traditionally uses a three-chip CCD array.

The JVC GZ-HD30, with an 80GB capacity (10 hours recording in highest quality), and GZ-HD40, with a 120GB capacity (6 hours recording in highest quality), are aimed at the higher-end user. They can capture in full 1920 x 1080 in either AVCHD at a maximum average of 17Mbps or MPEG-2 TS at a maximum 27Mbps. Video can also be recorded in any format to a microSDHC card (not included). Both camcorders utilize a new 2.68-megapixel 1/3-inch CMOS chip.

The technology for a single camcorder outputting in both MPEG-2 TS and AVCHD is new. The camcorders use a single processing chip that performs part of the processing (motion estimation and motion compensation, specifically) before performing the remaining functions of the selected compression.

Like all camcorders, there are multiple quality settings that dictate the average bitrate. However, in the new JVC camcorders, settings with a low average bitrate can still peak at the highest possible bitrate. For instance, the lowest quality setting, EP, records at an average 5Mbps but is capable of a maximum bitrate of 18Mbps. The bitrate will increase from the average when the sensor detects a scene with high detail. Sample footage at the press conference in side-by-side displays of AVCHD at 17Mbps (average) and 5Mbps (average) showed only a small increase in artifacting.

Using technology JVC debuted on the GZ-HD3, all the new HD Everios will offer 1080/60P output through HDMI. The progressive output is not native. Rather, it uses an upconverting process borrowed from Genessa engine in its HDTV line.

The GZ-HD40 and GZ-HD30 feature a 2.8-inch LCD (207,000 pixels) and a 10x F/1.8 – 2.2 Konica Minolta HD lens. All three camcorders offer an accessory shoe, microphone input, headphone-out, HDMI, USB, AV-out, component-out, and microSD card slot.

All models are capable of recording still images to either hard disk drive or microSD. The GZ-HD40 and GZ-HD30 have a maximum resolution of 2432 x 1368. The GZ-HD40 also ships with a docking station that includes USB, AV-out, component-put, and Firewire (IEEE1394).

The GZ-HD40 retails for $1299 MSRP and the GZ-HD30 for $999 MSRP. All are expected to ship in August 2008.

These are definitely not an HD7 replacement! In fact, they seem kind of weird and IMHO won't sell because how many moms & pops can sort-out MPEG-2 -- that's not called HDV -- and AVCHD that may or may not be editable with current NLEs. The "new" JVC doesn't seem to have a clue about how they can compete with Sony. Being different isn't enough -- at least in the USA market. I can't imagine some pimpled kid at BB explaining this camcorder to a fat mom with a kid clinging to her screaming at the top of his little lungs.

But, the codec is clever and I'll bet we'll see it a "pro" handheld where it would serve a function.

Kaushik Parmar June 16th, 2008 04:20 AM

Steve,

Yes these are not HD7 replacement, maybe they are still in process!

But HD40 & HD30 have one good point we can record in AVCHD as well as MPEG2 mode too!

And Fujinon lens is also missing! JVC is using first time CMOS sensor.

Here is Japanese website link:
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/dvmain/g.../sp/index.html
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/ad/index.html

Kaushik

Dave Blackhurst June 16th, 2008 02:53 PM

Very strange product offerings... more along the lines of the Sony CX7 and Canon HF series... why bother? I know the HD7 was supposed to be a "category killer", and "could have been", but these look like "wannabe" copycats.

Steve Mullen June 16th, 2008 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 894022)
Very strange product offerings... more along the lines of the Sony CX7 and Canon HF series... why bother? I know the HD7 was supposed to be a "category killer", and "could have been", but these look like "wannabe" copycats.

Looks like they made a deal to buy 2.7 megapixel ClearVid CMOS chip. At the same price as a Sony SR that use EXMOR chips -- who will buy?

But, if you add the HD7's manual controls, good lens, good OIS, and and give it an MSRP if $1800 -- now JVC has something Sony doesn't.

Kaushik Parmar June 16th, 2008 06:36 PM

Let's hope they are planning similer what you mention! But I am very much happy with HD7, indeed fantastic camera!

Kaushik

David Benjamin June 16th, 2008 11:30 PM

Until they combine the HD7's manual controls with TRUE progressive recording (not just upscaled output), I don't see any of these new models as truly significant upgrades.

Bruno Donnet June 17th, 2008 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 894173)
Looks like they made a deal to buy 2.7 megapixel ClearVid CMOS chip. At the same price as a Sony SR that use EXMOR chips -- who will buy?

I've seen too the picture of the sensor on the JVC Japanese site; but if the picture explains cleary that the pixels are 45° oriented (like the Sony ClearVid sensor), it shows too that the filter is a classic Bayer one; on a ClearVid, the filter is a little special: there're more green pixels (6 green pixels for 1 red and 1 blue).

So, untill more info, it's not clear if it's a shared technology with Sony or if this sensor is 100% JVC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 894173)
But, if you add the HD7's manual controls, good lens, good OIS, and and give it an MSRP if $1800 -- now JVC has something Sony doesn't.

Yes, the GZ-HD7 is now the older of the band: after the HD3, thus HD5 and HD6, now the HD30, HD40.

I'm impatient to see a GZ-HD80 to replace the now old GZ-HD7... But maybe I have too much hope that all the bad points of the HD7 will be resolved in a new high-end prosumer camcorder from JVC...

Steve Mullen June 17th, 2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno Donnet (Post 894350)
I've seen too the picture of the sensor on the JVC Japanese site; but if the picture explains cleary that the pixels are 45° oriented (like the Sony ClearVid sensor), it shows too that the filter is a classic Bayer one; on a ClearVid, the filter is a little special: there're more green pixels (6 green pixels for 1 red and 1 blue).

So, until more info, it's not clear if it's a shared technology with Sony or if this sensor is 100% JVC.

JVC could develop a CMOS chip, but it's very expensive to do so when you can OEM a chip from Sony. All that expense and you are still behind without EXMOR.

Kaushik Parmar June 17th, 2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno Donnet (Post 894350)
But maybe I have too much hope that all the bad points of the HD7 will be resolved in a new high-end prosumer camcorder from JVC...

But I do not see any bad point in GZ-HD7; I have seen some good work from various people with their JVC GZ-HD7. Even I am not professional, I have uploaded some videos captured by me, if you would like to see them here is link: http://www.vimeo.com/user318721/videos

Maybe you already have gone through my videos. However I am too looking forward to see something like HD80 or something else, means true replacement of HD7, for me HD7 is king, I do not see any problem, it is ruler no doubt! Steve am I right?

Kaushik