Desperately in need of some help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old June 24th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Desperately in need of some help

I have to edit about 6 hours worth of footage shot on an HD7 in Final Cut Pro Studio 2. The job was due to be finished last Tuesday week. But because the TOC file wrapper on the footage isn't compatible with FCP I have not been able to complete the job, and as a consequence my client is livid. I have imported the files into iMovie HD, as suggested in these forums, but when I select export and the "compressing movie" counter thingy comes up it's progress time eventually goes up to some rediculous number like 3657 minutes to go. At one stage I had the file exporting for three days (that is no exaggeration- started the export at 8.15am on Monday, hit cancel on Wednesday afternoon at 3pm with the progress still about 1/3 of the way through). It's only for the fact that the camera belongs to my client that it is not lying smashed into a thousand pieces on the floor. I have 6 one hour episodes to edit, and at this rate I'll be finishing the job by Christmas 2018. Please, for the love of God, help me!!!!!
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #2
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun R Walker View Post
Please, For The Love Of God, Help Me!!!!!
Plug -- Just Download My HD7 Book.
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I didnt know that Apple was into upgrading software at the cost of function. I really thought to buy an Apple as my next station.

Would have been easier to parse the files on a PC using the supplied camera software. Would have taken about 10minutes computer an hour shooting to convert the files or unwrap them. Then it would be a versatile .mpg format.

Steve's book is the best of its kind. Apart from that there are also Wikipedia files on the subject. Both of them lead to Steve's book and my website.

One last note, the older versions of software apparently work better. Dont ask me how that works in the real world.

If you are adventurous you can load a virtual windows into the mac and run both environments at the same time. If you have a spare PC about the place, follow my link and scroll to the lower portion of the HOW TO.

At least you came to the right place. You can cancel the order for the 8-Xeon MacPro.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I actually don't see iMovie 08 as an upgrade to the 06 version, but rather a completely new program with a (nearly) completely new target audience.

However, what I'm afraid of is that the HD7 is a Windows-only machine (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Claus Bier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Bier View Post
I actually don't see iMovie 08 as an upgrade to the 06 version, but rather a completely new program with a (nearly) completely new target audience.

However, what I'm afraid of is that the HD7 is a Windows-only machine (please correct me if I'm wrong).
You are right about iM 08. Not only a new program, but a new way of editing video. And, it works great with th HD7. In fact, of theApple programs, the HD7 works best with iM08.

For a comparison of HD quality between FCP 6 and iM 08 go to:

http://www.vimeo.com/user364340/videos

I've just tested ExposureRoom. Sooo much better than Vimeo! Try this link. Let me know which looks better and which plays the most smoothly.

http://exposureroom.com/members/DVC.aspx/videos/

Last edited by Steve Mullen; June 26th, 2008 at 12:29 AM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Steve nice video. Did you do some color correction? I'm just tempted to buy the HD7. I have an old Panasonic DVC80 camcorder and it seems that the HD7 can equal or be better than my DVC80, let's not talk about resolution because HD is HD.
Jade Maestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Steve,
the pics were still a little jerky here, but I strongly suspect that the problem lies with my ageing G5, NOT Exposure Room.

Going to upload one of mine and check the difference between EXRoom and Vimeo with something I'm more familiar with.

EDIT:

Just done that and there's little or no difference on my system between Vimeo and Exposure Room

Last edited by Wayne Avanson; July 6th, 2008 at 06:34 AM.
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series