JVC GZ-HD7 .tod files - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old July 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #16
Major Player

I think it's the Widows Media Player that is making them 'look' de interlaced.

If I play original .TOD files in Quicktime on a Mac, they are interlaced, I see the jaggy lines they are not smooth.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I think it's the Widows Media Player that is making them 'look' de interlaced.

If I play original .TOD files in Quicktime on a Mac, they are interlaced, I see the jaggy lines they are not smooth.

Avey
Whatever but .tod files are superb in WMP.
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaushik Parmar View Post
Whatever but .tod files are superb in WMP.

The CCDs on the GZ-HD7 are progressive scan CCDs, but the for some reason they decided that when capturing, the internals in the camera would convert the progressive into interlaced. WMP 11 is automatically set to "de-interlace" videos, even DVDs. Its great because I view older DVDs that are interlaced and when WMP 11 de-interlaces them, they look smooooth. Check your settings, you will see that de-interlaced is checked or set somewhere (I cant remember where or how, Im a Mac user). What I do with my files is edit in FCE 3.5, export as a Quicktime Movie, then using an Encoder/Transcoder software I export it to de-interlaced, 1920x1080 HD and it looks pristine!! But yea, remember, WMP 11 de-interlaces videos.

GC
Gary Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Colon View Post
The CCDs on the GZ-HD7 are progressive scan CCDs, but the for some reason they decided that when capturing, the internals in the camera would convert the progressive into interlaced. WMP 11 is automatically set to "de-interlace" videos, even DVDs. Its great because I view older DVDs that are interlaced and when WMP 11 de-interlaces them, they look smooooth. Check your settings, you will see that de-interlaced is checked or set somewhere (I cant remember where or how, Im a Mac user). What I do with my files is edit in FCE 3.5, export as a Quicktime Movie, then using an Encoder/Transcoder software I export it to de-interlaced, 1920x1080 HD and it looks pristine!! But yea, remember, WMP 11 de-interlaces videos.

GC
I am afraid but what are .tod files? Progressive or Interlaced? If they are progressive than how WMP 11 is dealing with it? And if .tod is interlaced than why they are not showing horizontal lines while playing in WMP11?

And converted .mpeg files are showing horizontal lines in WMP 11, why? If WMP is actually set de-interlace the videos than why showing horizontal lines?

I am not getting proper answer!

Kaushik
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #20
HDV Cinema

Quote:
I am not getting proper answer!Kaushik
The previous post gives you the answer.

There's no reason for recording P because the camera records 60I. There's not a lot of love for 1080p25 and 1080p30 by the Japanese companies since it is a fringe part of the market. The next step is 1080p50 and 1080p60 but that requires parts past the CCD that can run with 2X more information. Maybe 2009.
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
The previous post gives you the answer.

There's no reason for recording P because the camera records 60I. There's not a lot of love for 1080p25 and 1080p30 by the Japanese companies since it is a fringe part of the market. The next step is 1080p50 and 1080p60 but that requires parts past the CCD that can run with 2X more information. Maybe 2009.
Ok, but my question was different, I would appreciate if you can read it and reply!

Kaushik
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Ok, but my question was different, I would appreciate if you can read it and reply!

Kaushik
I told you above. The CCDs are progressive, but the camera internals changed the image to interlaced. You can de-interlace the video once you have them downloaded to your computer. I take my .tod files (which are interlaced) and then de-interlace them and they are the exact same size, resolution and format (FHD, CBR, SP>whichever I record in) but now non-interlaced. You can set your WMP to NOT de-interlace your video and you will noticed the lines. Im using a Mac and I can de-interlace DVDs using the DVD Player in my Mac and the pictures no longer look interlaced. Try it out, you can see it WELL with Titles. Watch a movie and when titles are changing/flipping/flying stop it...you'll notice the interlacing. Uncheck interlacing and go back...it will be smooth.

You>>>

"Hello,

I have one question for HD7 users, anybody noticed original recorded file in HD7 mean .tod files actually are progressive scan instead of interlaced? If we play original .tod files in Window Media 11 than they are so smooth and very much clear, and if play same converted files supplied CyberLink's PowerDirector software than they looks interlaced! Clearly we can see horizontal lines!

I do not understand if CCDs are progressive then why JVC converted them into interlaced as final MPEG2 output?

Kaushik"

If you want an answer to your question, no we have not noticed that because the .tod files are NOT actually progressive, they are interlaced.
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
I told you above. The CCDs are progressive, but the camera internals changed the image to interlaced.

I do not understand if CCDs are progressive then why JVC converted them into interlaced as final MPEG2 output?

Kaushik"

If you want an answer to your question, no we have not noticed that because the .tod files are NOT actually progressive, they are interlaced.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Because they felt like it maybe(seriously)? When this camera first came out, there werent too many progressive HD cams (consumer at least) out there and it also seems like its not until recently that your average consumer is NOW understand 1080i vs 1080p. In electronic stores like Circuit City and Best Buy, I had not seen a progressive movie on a 1080p screen until AFTER the Blue-Ray & HD-DVD war was over
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #25
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Because they felt like it maybe(seriously)? When this camera first came out, there werent too many progressive HD cams (consumer at least) out there and it also seems like its not until recently that your average consumer is NOW understand 1080i vs 1080p. In electronic stores like Circuit City and Best Buy, I had not seen a progressive movie on a 1080p screen until AFTER the Blue-Ray & HD-DVD war was over
Gary's correct --d has given you the same answer I did. There are NO 1080p60 cameras. The parts between the CCDs and the encoder only handle 1920x540 images. They would need to be 2X more powerful to handle 1920x1080 at 60fps.

Today, only 720p60 and 1080p30 are available.
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Gary's correct --d has given you the same answer I did. There are NO 1080p60 cameras. The parts between the CCDs and the encoder only handle 1920x540 images. They would need to be 2X more powerful to handle 1920x1080 at 60fps.

Today, only 720p60 and 1080p30 are available.
Well...there are no consumer 1080p60 cameras. If only the Red One camera cost $1499, like the GZ-HD7 was, wow! Soon enough there will be consumer cameras like that shoot 1080p60, but by that time, everything will probably be like the Red One which is 4k and soon next year 5k resolution. Cameras like the Red One are suppose to be SEMI-Pro, though I would called them Pro period. The Red One package is a total of about $25 grand, which is great for amateur film making.
Gary Colon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series