DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   Slow processing in iMovie 08 / Slow audio in iMovie HD - is there a Firewire error? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/127793-slow-processing-imovie-08-slow-audio-imovie-hd-there-firewire-error.html)

Richard Thompson August 10th, 2008 07:16 PM

Slow processing in iMovie 08 / Slow audio in iMovie HD - is there a Firewire error?

Hi all.

I have noticed that while the iMovie 08 import process is improved over iMovie HD, the way the program runs makes it more difficult to do precise edits and cuts, and it runs too slowly processing things from an external firewire drive & with a laptop Macbook comp with 3.5 gigs of RAM.

So i want to go back to iMovie HD

But has anyone noticed this bizarre "slurring of speech" effect when you import playlists over firewire from the HD7?

Cheers

Richard

Steve Mullen August 12th, 2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Thompson (Post 918986)
Hi all.

I have noticed that while the iMovie 08 import process is improved over iMovie HD, the way the program runs makes it more difficult to do precise edits and cuts, and it runs too slowly processing things from an external firewire drive & with a laptop Macbook comp with 3.5 gigs of RAM.

So i want to go back to iMovie HD

But has anyone noticed this bizarre "slurring of speech" effect when you import playlists over firewire from the HD7?

Cheers

Richard

If you know how to use iM08 you can make precise -- to the frame -- trims.

You should have an Intel MacBook. If you don't, editing HD is not going to be smooth. In fact, a MBP is really the minimum.

You do not need to import via FW. If you avoid FW, then you can shoot FullHD.

Richard Thompson August 12th, 2008 07:44 PM

iMovie 08 Slowness on Macbook

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 919460)
If you know how to use iM08 you can make precise -- to the frame -- trims.

You should have an Intel MacBook. If you don't, editing HD is not going to be smooth. In fact, a MBP is really the minimum.

You do not need to import via FW. If you avoid FW, then you can shoot FullHD.

Hi Steve. The improved workflow you figured out for iMovie 08 is great.
Unfortunately, with 2.5 Gigs of Ram on my Macbook, movie editing is damn near impossible on iMovie 08 whereas iMovie HD seems very manageable as well as user friendly.

I don't have any other computer, except a Powerbook G4 with (i think) 1.5 Gigs of Ram... it's an old one, and I imagine it will be even slower than my Intel Macbook.

A few qs: Will upgrading to 4Gigs of RAM on Macbook do any good? I have a feeling it won't increase the speed to what it needs to be. E.g. iMovie HD has a nice smooth feel - you can scroll all the way through an HD movie with comparative ease, no choppiness. No such luck with iMovie 08.

Second: if not, I will have to go back to iMovie HD, and in this circumstance, have you experienced this "slurring" effect with audio in iMovie HD?

Thanks in advance.
Richard