HD3 stolen ... what to buy next ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD3 stolen ... what to buy next ?

My camera was living overseas where it was stolen last week.

Do I get a HD7 ? Or something else ?

Since I bought the HD3 the price of the HD7 has dropped quite a bit so any advice would be appreciated. I dont have any insurance, I just want to keep using the 3 or 4 batteries, charger and USB Video Bank I already have.

A new laptop went missing at the same time. I think I want to get a refurbished Apple iBook as the laptop is only for viewing files and writing.

Please offer advice.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

HD3 stolen ... what to buy next ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Smith View Post

Since I bought the HD3 the price of the HD7 has dropped quite a bit so any advice would be appreciated. I dont have any insurance, I just want to keep using the 3 or 4 batteries, charger and USB Video Bank I already have.

A new laptop went missing at the same time. I think I want to get a refurbished Apple iBook as the laptop is only for viewing files and writing.

Please offer advice.
OH Barry! That's really awful! Sorry to hear that.

Well, I'm sure you know about the pros and cons that hover over the HD7. Your investment does sound like you wish to remain in the JVC family.

How happy were you with the HD3? Did it provide an acceptable experience for you? Did you feel it was less or more than what you expected? What are your plans down the road? Now, the biggie, how much do you wish to spend in terms of $$$, accessories, and adapting to a different camera if needed? Is there another camera you've had your eye on?

True, the HD7 has come down in price. B&H is offering it for $800.00 right now. The current state of things makes be believe, although JVC has not officially stated this, the HD7 may be on borrowed time. I believe they will drop the HD7 by the end of the year. The HD6 is also selling for the same price and a new HD3 is about $700.00. If your willing to try AVCHD, the HD10 is also $800.00. Now go back and consider the questions again.

Unfortunately, the Canon HV20 is no more, but the HV30 has received high marks, and is just under the $800.00 mark. OK! Sorry! That's is not fair, but read the questions yet again.

It really comes down to what you really desire, only you can answer that final question. It is a hard choice. It is like owning a 15 year old car, it's OK and takes me from point A to B. Do I spend the money to keep it on the road, or invest that money toward a new car?

I'm sorry, this probably didn't help. But, something to consider. Despite the cons of the HD7, I do like it very much, I did by a second HD7. Would I do it again, considering what I already had invested and the cost, it made sense for me. Would I like a HD110, 200 or 250? Ahhh.....Yea! But the $$$ doesn't make it practical at this time.

Let us know what your thinking and remember, it doesn't matter what anyone else is using, it is what is best for you that ultimately counts.

All the best.
Manuel Correa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My original checklist

- HD format (albeit that the HD3 was the lesser HD)
- HDD or SD storage
- Filter thread (I never use those hoods they supply)
- Mic in.
- USB download
- Portable (apparently very portable)
- Colour rendition
- Less compression (more detail)
- Expansion shoe (hot or cold)

A lot of people complain about MPEG2-TS and TOD but as we all know here that has been resolved by experts such as Steve Mullen.

Problems with the HD3 and JVC in general
---------------------------------------
- Low light performance limited, improved slightly by using BACKLIGHT MODE.
- AF seems myoptic
- HD3 had no focus ring

Ideal choice this time around
----------------------------
- Focus ring
- Headphone output

Possible choices
---------------
Canon HG21
JVC HD6
Sony SR12

I have almost given up on the HD7 as there are some real image issues and even though it is a superior user interface with many controls the technology marches forward and puts new light on other brands. The HD3 was an experimental purchase aimed at breaking in the workflow and getting an idea of how much storage and PC power was needed. In its absence the options are open to some extent.

I might settle for a 575 with its data dock and start all over again.

Nexto DI - Next Generation Storage with Digital Interface

Looking at the link I notice that most if not all the listed replacement cameras provide support for the NEXT M2700 backup. I know that the HD3/5/6/7 will work as I tried the HD3 and the HD7 is listed.

Maybe someone on this group is interested in some high capacity batteries - barely used.
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am going to give the HD6 a go. See how that turns out.
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Smith View Post

Please offer advice.
Barry Smith,

HD3 is not comparable with HD7. I am proud owner of HD7, I am using it since last one and half year, I love HD7, very much happy with it.

I have had chance to use HD3 for 2 days, personally I would never go for HD3; auto focus is not working properly in low light! But I must admit build quality is top class as similar to HD7.

If HD7 is available @ $800 than it is great price, even I would like to buy another for me!

My advice is to you is go for HD7, it is still premium model from JVC, and HD6 has missing some features compare to HD7.

Or maybe you can wait for some time; maybe JVC will replace HD7 by putting new upgraded model!

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series