GZ HD7 and external monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old September 4th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Correa View Post
Hey Barry!

OK! The hood on the front of the camera is actually a Cokin product. It consists of an adapter ring, filter holder and modular hood. The flags however are not a Cokin item, but were made by me. They are of styrene construction and attached via hinges to the lens hood.

The hood on the camera LCD is a Hoodman H-300. It will fit an LCD screen 2.5 to 3 inches wide. This fits around the screen without blocking the controls on the side of the LCD panel. Because it extends out about 3 inches it does get in the way of the buttons on the camera side, but just rotate the screen, no problem.

The hood on the Sony DVD unit was made be me. It is basically a larger version of the Hoodman.

The shoulder rest is from Cavision. It is only one part of an entire system they have. I purchased this for the cameras because it provides me more hand held stability. The unit is the RS1580S, 300mm rods, plate, grip and shoulder rest. I just added a Domke pad to the rest this week. The contoured pad helps to keep it from sliding on the shoulder.

All of the products I mentioned are available from B&H in the US. I do not know any vendors in Australia like B&H. I'm sure you could order them, but I don't know what the shipping would cost you! There has got to be a similar retailer where you live. Check them out.
Wow. Thanks. I use BH Photo all the time. They are great.
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Manuel

The link to buy at TwoNeil 35mm lens adapter is

FS: Official TWONEIL adapter - Canon HV20 / HV30 User Forum

My first thoughts are it took ages to come, and although I really don't know much about it, I'm having a play today and will let you know how it goes. The adapter is simply a tube extension thing with a focus screen in. It doesn't vibrate like a Letus or a Brevis, but the idea is that you can get a very short depth of field without having to be a long way back. II had to pay 30 odd dollars more becuase of wanting Canon EOS lenses attachment, not the usual Nikon. RastAsia reckons the Nikons are better, but I already had EOS lenses for my DSLR.

I'll post tomorrow when I've had chance to play with it more and found out how best to get it working. You can email TwoNeil anytime, he's very helpful

This also leads me onto the Rods system you have. Suddenly, having a great big lens extension stuck out the front of the cam means it has to be supported properly or, when you pull focus, the whole thing moves ever so slightly, which simply isn't good enough. Will try to track down one like yours, since you have proved it fits OK on the HD7.

Apparently JVC have a 'Three Strikes' policy and if mine has to go back for repair AGAIN, I get given a new one. which would suit me fine. At least they promise not to leave me in the lurch with a duff camera. Fingers crossed.
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #18
New Boot

I'm also interested with TWONEIL adapter. What's the total cost to ship to you? Have you tested to say us your comments?

Also to all. Have a look here :
http://www.manhattanlcd.com/
Kostas Papadakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #19
Major Player

HI Kostas,

Not terribly impressed to be honest. It's fiddly to get right, the focus screen isn't brilliant and causes artifacts and chromatic aberration. as well as it's nigh on impossible to keep clean. Plus it has a mark on it which was there as soon as it arrived. All in all wish I hadn't bothered.

I would look out for the Jehu one instead, it's cheaper for a start and he seems to be very keen. It was pointed out to me on Vimeo

vimeo.com/jehu

I might get one of his sometime if I can't get any better results out of my TwoNeil.

If you want to look at a couple of my first attempts they are here. Not very impressive though.

Wayne Avanson's videos on Vimeo
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #20
New Boot

re:

First awesome setup, second do you have any shots of the cam from the side

Quote:
Hello Everybody!

Thank you to those who have commented on the camera setup. Now, for some more 'Extras'.

I haven't seen anyone in the JVC HD7 group post this setup, a field monitor for the HD7. I needed to use it this past weekend, so I took some quick pictures before packing everything away. I did this for my HD7s because it is a pain to bring a CRT based monitor many times. Besides, when I'm outside, I can't plug into a tree or rock for AC. This has worked as a good alternative. I figured those in this group might find it interesting or useful. I don't know, the moderators may decide to move it.

The monitor is actually a Sony FX820 DVD player that accepts video line in. The screen will display all the information seen on the camera LCD, or can be removed via the menu of the HD7. It is mounted onto a platform I made. The configuration allows for mounting onto a light stand or can be mounted to the tripod using a clamp I have used with my 35mm SLR.

The requirements I set was that the player remain untouched, it must be exactly as it was out of the box. Be able to use the unit as it was originally intended, as a DVD player, but also as a monitor when needed. It needs to flexible, that is mount and orientate as you wish. No velcro. It can not interfere with the screen, jacks, controls or switches in any way. Be made simple, light weight and strong.

The platform is made of pine and ¼ inch plywood and is not heavy, the player actually weighs more. The underside has five ¼ x 20 attachment threads so it can be positioned in any manner. The platform allows the unit to be orientated in the usual clamshell fashion, backwards, or in tablet form. The trick was to anchor the base without adding anything to the player itself. The answer was to fashion blocks with a 25 degree bevel that would secure the base to the platform. The front block is removable and secured by two wing nuts. Believe it or not, the player can be hung upside down and it will not fall out, I tried.

The screen hood is another extra I added, basically a larger version of the "Hoodman" you see on the cameras LCD. It is made of styrene and faced with the same material I used for the platform. My FX810 also fits on the same platform.

So, there you have it, more extras for the HD7, an inexpensive LCD field monitor, hood and support.

OK folks, let's see some of those extras. What's in your box of goodies?
Corey Munns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Hello Everybody!

Thank you to those who have commented on the camera setup. Now, for some more 'Extras'.

I haven't seen anyone in the JVC HD7 group post this setup, a field monitor for the HD7. I needed to use it this past weekend, so I took some quick pictures before packing everything away. I did this for my HD7s because it is a pain to bring a CRT based monitor many times. Besides, when I'm outside, I can't plug into a tree or rock for AC. This has worked as a good alternative. I figured those in this group might find it interesting or useful. I don't know, the moderators may decide to move it.

The monitor is actually a Sony FX820 DVD player that accepts video line in. The screen will display all the information seen on the camera LCD, or can be removed via the menu of the HD7. It is mounted onto a platform I made. The configuration allows for mounting onto a light stand or can be mounted to the tripod using a clamp I have used with my 35mm SLR.

The requirements I set was that the player remain untouched, it must be exactly as it was out of the box. Be able to use the unit as it was originally intended, as a DVD player, but also as a monitor when needed. It needs to flexible, that is mount and orientate as you wish. No velcro. It can not interfere with the screen, jacks, controls or switches in any way. Be made simple, light weight and strong.

The platform is made of pine and ¼ inch plywood and is not heavy, the player actually weighs more. The underside has five ¼ x 20 attachment threads so it can be positioned in any manner. The platform allows the unit to be orientated in the usual clamshell fashion, backwards, or in tablet form. The trick was to anchor the base without adding anything to the player itself. The answer was to fashion blocks with a 25 degree bevel that would secure the base to the platform. The front block is removable and secured by two wing nuts. Believe it or not, the player can be hung upside down and it will not fall out, I tried.

The screen hood is another extra I added, basically a larger version of the "Hoodman" you see on the cameras LCD. It is made of styrene and faced with the same material I used for the platform. My FX810 also fits on the same platform.

So, there you have it, more extras for the HD7, an inexpensive LCD field monitor, hood and support.

OK folks, let's see some of those extras. What's in your box of goodies?
Slight O/T, what's that handle on your HD7 and where you get it pal?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series