DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   Time lapse on a JVC ... what do I need ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/129326-time-lapse-jvc-what-do-i-need.html)

Barry Smith September 4th, 2008 12:50 AM

Time lapse on a JVC ... what do I need ?

Has anyone attempted time-lapse with a JVC.

- any heat issues ?
- things to watch out for ?
- best editing method ?
- time lapse method ?

Am doing a radical car overhaul and want to get several cameras and look at speeding up the rebuild.

Wayne Avanson September 4th, 2008 06:32 AM

i was just wondering the same situation myself and just this morning, I played around with setting the HD7 on shutter priority mode (In Manual obviously) and lowering an locking the shutter at one of the lowest settings.

i THINK that might work but I haven't actually had time to do it yet. I'll have a play later.

heat issues? no idea, cam gets pretty warm anyway usually.

Editing No idea either, will find out when I launch in and have a go.

Let me know if you come up with any answers yourself.

Cheers

Avey

Barry Smith September 5th, 2008 10:33 PM

When I get the replacement camera I will report in with my findings. I only have month to sort it out.

Manuel Correa September 8th, 2008 10:45 AM

Very cool question Barry.

Unfortunately, the HD7 does not have an interval recording mode. It is a cool feature available on higher end cameras. Cameras with that feature include the Canon GL-2, XL-2, XH-A1, XH-G1, Panasonic DVX100B & HMC150, Sony VX2100 & PD170, just to name a few.

So, is it possible to do time lapse with the HD7? Yes! How? That depends. On what? The look you are trying to achieve, the motion occurring in front of the camera and your patience. Interval recording or time lapse is fine when it fits the scene, that is, to show the passage of time. Your purpose or one like it is legitimate and can be useful. The trick is to figure out the proper timing for the event being recorded.

Heat? Well, constant running of the camera might heat things up a bit. The camera does have a shut down mode if it gets too hot.

Things to watch out for? Dependent on what is being recorded, but always watch proper focus, DOF, lighting, position and timing.

What do I need & best edit/time lapse method? In one sense, you already have what is needed.

Now, how can we do interval recording or time lapse with this camera?

Approach #1. You can set the camera to record, it will create and record a file xxxx001.TOD up to 4GB. Once that limit is reached, it will then create another file xxxx0002.TOD up to 4GB, and so on until you reach the maximum of the cameras hard drive 60GB, about 5 hours of video. You would import each file to your NLE, then compress time via the NLE to create a shorter overall clip. This would give you a seamless and speeded up version of the scene.

I am not familiar with the features of all NLEs. Sony Vegas Pro 8, Grass Valleys Edius Pro, Avid Media Composer, Apple Final Cut Pro and Studio and Adobe Premiere Pro for example can do this. I know some of the live video switching programs have this ability too, including proc amp, logo insertion, and other goodies. One thing for sure, you always need to shoot longer than you think if your planning this type of shot.

We could try approach #2. An alternate would be to do as above, approach #1, play back the video in the NLE, and take snap shots within the NLE at regular intervals. The stored .JPG files could be chained together in the NLE time line, and a video rendered.

Or even Approach #3! We would leave the camera set up and use the remote control to record xx seconds of video every yy number of minutes over whatever period. Of course this requires you to remember to start and stop the camera yourself, and have the camera running on the mains not the battery. Import this to the NLE, trim where needed, and render. There will be jumps in the action in #2 and #3.

OK! #2 and #3 don't sound so convenient, do they, and they create many many small individual files. But it will work as long as the number of management folders/files is not exceeded. Don't know what that maximum number is however, 99?, 999???, 9999????

Now, the other choice requires more hardware/software. In this case we would use the HD7 as our video eyes only.

Approach #4. You would connect the cameras output, Composite video lets say, to an input port on a PC. Using software, lets say a switcher that can read/capture from the PC port, you set the parameters to capture xx seconds of video for yy time, and record the result to an output device, the hard drive of the PC. The resulting file would be a compilation of clips for the preset time period. This too will have jumps in the action between the start/stop cycles of each segment, but at least it is automated by the PC. You now could use the file as is, or import to the NLE and edit and/or trim if necessary, and render a final clip.

On another note Barry, were you the one trying to find a portable external hard drive to use with the HD7? Was it for backup only or were you looking for real time capture as well, a la firestore? If so, what was the result? I've been wondering about this, if it makes sense in terms of cost and use for this camera.

Oh man! Not another project!!!! ;-)

All the best to you.

Julian Frost September 8th, 2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel Correa (Post 930868)
Very cool question Barry.

Unfortunately, the HD7 does not have an interval recording mode. It is a cool feature available on higher end cameras. Cameras with that feature include the Canon GL-2, XL-2, XH-A1, XH-G1, Panasonic DVX100B & HMC150, Sony VX2100 & PD170, just to name a few.

Just a quick correction: The XH-A1 and XH-G1 do not have interval recording features. You can do it through software and recording directly to a computer, or by recording standard definition to a DTE system, but not in-camera.

Manuel Correa September 8th, 2008 02:01 PM

Thanks for the correction Julian.

My error. I'm actually surprised that the XH-A1 and XH-G1 do not have this feature in camera as the XL2. Since I am not that familiar with the A1, I was not aware it was only possible via software. Now I've got it straight. Thanks again!

Julian Frost September 8th, 2008 09:42 PM

The issue is that it records in MPEG2 format, which saves one complete frame, and then subsequent frames are made up of only the bits which have changed, until it records another complete frame... several frames later. If it were able to do timelapse, it would have to be able to output complete frames every frame, which it can't (except in software). It can do this in standard def, but not to tape, just to a DTE, for example.