Battery Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old September 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Tourist

Battery Question

I purchased a JVC Brand BN-VF823U extended battery from Best Buy the other day and charged it up. Turned on the camera, an HD7, and it shows that it is fully charged but also shows only 110 minutes recording time! The packaging states "Up to 4.5 hours". This again is the JVC battery and not an after market battery. I've tried charging it a couple of times, swapped batteries, still the same. 110 minutes is a lot less than "4.5" hours, is this battery defective or is this normal? Thanks

Les
Les Yosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Major Player

The battery could be defective, which would be an issue for either JVC or the retail outlet where you purchased it.

However, I believe most camera manufacturers state in their manuals that it will take a few charge/discharge cycles before your battery actually stores an honest full charge. If this is so, you should see increasing minutes each time you recharge. Just be sure to almost drain the battery before you recharge. In my experience draining a battery before recharging is a much healthier process for the battery.

Personally, I never pay much attention to what charge indicators say in terms of minutes. I always pay more attention to the icon displays. I've been disappointed too many times by forgetting to pay attention to informational displays in my viewfinder (particularly the flashing REC).
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Yosek View Post
I purchased a JVC Brand BN-VF823U extended battery from Best Buy the other day and charged it up. Turned on the camera, an HD7, and it shows that it is fully charged but also shows only 110 minutes recording time! The packaging states "Up to 4.5 hours". This again is the JVC battery and not an after market battery. I've tried charging it a couple of times, swapped batteries, still the same. 110 minutes is a lot less than "4.5" hours, is this battery defective or is this normal? Thanks

Les
Les, the packaging claim has no meaning, it is just a marketing thing. You need to know capacity of the battery in WH, and your camera power drain. Check our FAQ for more info, and how to calculate run time. Cycling a Li-Ion battery does not do it any good, just wears it out.
FAQ
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Tourist

Battery Question

Thanks Waldemer and Alex for responding. I certainly wasn't expecting anything close to the 4.5 hours, (270 minutes) but more than 110 mins. from the VF823U. I have exchanged it for another and am charging it up now. Will let you know what it shows after charging.

Les
Les Yosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Les

What Alex has told you is correct. The claim of up to 4.5 hours of recording is under a controlled rate. If you look closely you will see this is calculated on a load of 3.2 watts. I believe only the smallest JVC cameras consume at that level. Remember, these batteries are used across several different models.

JVC states the consumption on the HD7 as 7.1 watts with LCD and 6.7 watts with the viewfinder. Notice these numbers do not state the operational condition the camera is in, essentially the camera is on that's all. The HD7 operates at 7.7 watts when recording, and based on the previous numbers, I will take it they are factoring in the LCD is also being used. Under these conditions, the best you can expect is about 2 hours of use before the battery is drained.

My experience using the JVC VF815 and VF823 batteries has yielded about 1 1/2 hours and around 2 hours respectively with the LCD on and the camera recording. I do not believe your battery is defective. This is really a case of supply and demand. The maximum supply is set, the HD7 demand is twice what was calculated, thus, you can expect about half the duration that is stated on the battery package.

It seems most of the manufactures always calculate run times under the most ideal conditions which hardly ever happens in the real world. This is why it is always a good idea to carry one or two extra batteries with you, fully charged, whenever you go out.
Manuel Correa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Contributor

I just placed an instant online run time calculator at Video Camera Run Time Calculator
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series