DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   Help with rendering issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/133477-help-rendering-issue.html)

Richard Lundgren September 18th, 2008 05:13 PM

Help with rendering issue

Hi there. I did post this in the Vegas forum a few days ago, but as yet no response, so thought I would put it in here seeing as it was shot on a HD-7.

We are using Vegas Pro 8 and a combination of both SD and HD footage that we are editing.

All editing is done viewing on a LCD monitor and then when rendered down to PAL DVD the issue becomes visible.

On the PC screen everything looks great, once rendered however the SD footage is great, but the HD footage seems to suffer far more. It is more noticeable in footage that is fairly bright. This footage was taken in the Australian outback so the light can be quite harsh at times. In certain pieces of footage when rendered and played back on a standard CRT TV screen the picture seem to shimmer, more so in the brighter shots. This is not evident at all on the LCD monitor when editing. It is also not evident on either monitor from the SD video.

I am going to take the DVD to a store tomorrow and have them play it for me on a HD LCD / Plasma screen to see if it does the same thing. Maybe out old CRT TV is on the blink, maybe its something else.

If anyone has any suggestions / ideas I would be most appreciative to hear them. As I stated the issue only seems to be with the HD footage. It is being rendered to mpeg2 using primarily the settings that I have read through other posts on this forum.

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone has seem this before, or its just our old TV that doesnt want to play.

No point putting a link up to Vimeo to see it as it doesnt seem to be visible on there anyway. Wayne you have seen this footage on Tracy's vimeo page, but it seems to look fine on there, so at the moment we are at a loss as to what may be causing it.

Cheers

Richard

Wayne Avanson September 29th, 2008 08:40 AM

Hi Richard,

I have seen the outback footage and it all looks fine (apart from a little on the light side as I discussed with Tracy) but I didn't spot any shimmering. Did you get your new TV AFTER this post and have you tried it through that yet?

I was filming in Turkey with very harsh light and deep contrasty shadow areas and didn't have any problems with shimmer. (If that helps at all) And I can't think why Vegas would make HD shimmer and not SD in the same light, although I realise they were different cams. Hmm… Odd one that.

I might try editing an HD ONLY clip and output to render and if that's OK, then maybe it's a Vegas bug, trying to mix HD and SD on the same timeline. Just an thought, I'm only guessing here obviously.

Kaushik Parmar September 29th, 2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 944540)
Hi Richard,

I have seen the outback footage and it all looks fine (apart from a little on the light side as I discussed with Tracy) but I didn't spot any shimmering. Did you get your new TV AFTER this post and have you tried it through that yet?

I was filming in Turkey with very harsh light and deep contrasty shadow areas and didn't have any problems with shimmer. (If that helps at all) And I can't think why Vegas would make HD shimmer and not SD in the same light, although I realise they were different cams. Hmm… Odd one that.

I might try editing an HD ONLY clip and output to render and if that's OK, then maybe it's a Vegas bug, trying to mix HD and SD on the same timeline. Just an thought, I'm only guessing here obviously.

Wayne,

You have uploaded one Turkey video, and you told you will upload more, so when?

Kaushik

Wayne Avanson September 30th, 2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaushik Parmar (Post 944853)
Wayne,

You have uploaded one Turkey video, and you told you will upload more, so when?

Kaushik

There's four on there now Kaushik, Ancient Anatolia, Beautiful Turkey, Kalkan Market and Saklikent Gorge. The Beautiful Turkey one is the one you would be interested in, people and stuff in daylight. No Magic Bullet Looks colouring.

Wayne Avanson's videos on Vimeo

Apologies to Richard for temporarily hijacking your thread!

Best,
Avey