DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   64 bit vista gz-hd7? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/137905-64-bit-vista-gz-hd7.html)

Eric Larson November 17th, 2008 10:49 AM

64 bit vista gz-hd7?

I'm thinking of getting the gz-hd7, just wanted to make sure that it is compatible with 64 bit Vista?
I would assume it is, since I would think it would be like hooking up any other external USB hard drive. But you never know.

Eric Larson November 21st, 2008 11:21 PM

guess I'll answer my own question. If you plug the camera in to the computer with USB, the camera installs fine without needing any disc and functions as a hard drive so you can pull the files off. This is 64 bit Vista Business. I haven't used any of the software that comes on the disc nor have I tried the pretty much worthless firewire interface.

The reason I was concerned was I have a Maxtor One Touch III 1 TB with firewire 400 and 800 and for whatever reason Maxtor has no plans on suppporting 64 bit Vista.

Wayne Avanson December 2nd, 2008 10:16 AM

Works fine in the same way with a Mac. USB in, press 'Backup to computer', up pops the hard drive icon and the Data Card icon and you can simply drag them off onto your Mac.

I actually prefer using the Firewire Import method of capturing into FCP6. Making a playlist then capturing as HDV. You get a nice sharp clean image. Maybe it's not 1920, but it's pretty much as good as, especially if you shoot in plenty of light.

Steve Mullen December 4th, 2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 971709)
I actually prefer using the Firewire Import method of capturing into FCP6. Making a playlist then capturing as HDV. You get a nice sharp clean image. Maybe it's not 1920, but it's pretty much as good as, especially if you shoot in plenty of light.

I agree with you. In my tests there was NO visible RESOLUTION difference between the two resolutions. The higher rez was slightly -- VERY VERY VERY slightly more clean on diagonals.

Considering how EZ it is to use FW with FCP and iMovie 08 -- this is a huge time saver. The only reason I didn't say DO IT THIS WAY in my HD7 book is I figured most folks would use FullHD no matter what I said.

By the way -- this solves the 4GB shooting limit problem. JVC was so smart to include HDV FW support!

Ron Goldberg August 2nd, 2009 08:40 PM

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 971709)

thanks

its good to know that there are some hd7 people out there ..

ron