64 bit vista gz-hd7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

64 bit vista gz-hd7?

I'm thinking of getting the gz-hd7, just wanted to make sure that it is compatible with 64 bit Vista?
I would assume it is, since I would think it would be like hooking up any other external USB hard drive. But you never know.
Eric Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

guess I'll answer my own question. If you plug the camera in to the computer with USB, the camera installs fine without needing any disc and functions as a hard drive so you can pull the files off. This is 64 bit Vista Business. I haven't used any of the software that comes on the disc nor have I tried the pretty much worthless firewire interface.

The reason I was concerned was I have a Maxtor One Touch III 1 TB with firewire 400 and 800 and for whatever reason Maxtor has no plans on suppporting 64 bit Vista.
Eric Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Works fine in the same way with a Mac. USB in, press 'Backup to computer', up pops the hard drive icon and the Data Card icon and you can simply drag them off onto your Mac.

I actually prefer using the Firewire Import method of capturing into FCP6. Making a playlist then capturing as HDV. You get a nice sharp clean image. Maybe it's not 1920, but it's pretty much as good as, especially if you shoot in plenty of light.
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I actually prefer using the Firewire Import method of capturing into FCP6. Making a playlist then capturing as HDV. You get a nice sharp clean image. Maybe it's not 1920, but it's pretty much as good as, especially if you shoot in plenty of light.
I agree with you. In my tests there was NO visible RESOLUTION difference between the two resolutions. The higher rez was slightly -- VERY VERY VERY slightly more clean on diagonals.

Considering how EZ it is to use FW with FCP and iMovie 08 -- this is a huge time saver. The only reason I didn't say DO IT THIS WAY in my HD7 book is I figured most folks would use FullHD no matter what I said.

By the way -- this solves the 4GB shooting limit problem. JVC was so smart to include HDV FW support!
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Tourist

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
thanks

its good to know that there are some hd7 people out there ..

ron
Ron Goldberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series