DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   One for Steve. HD6 conversion into Apple Mac. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/139215-one-steve-hd6-conversion-into-apple-mac.html)

Barry Smith December 8th, 2008 11:25 PM

One for Steve. HD6 conversion into Apple Mac.

I notice that my neat little trick of using the OEM software is not valid for HD6 and the older software from the HD7/HD3.

I take it that Steve already knows that and that would explain the update for iMovie 08. Is there a simple explanation for what everyone is doing in the case of HD6 format into an Apple Mac ?

I am not looking for a free advice, just a broad outline.

Steve Mullen December 9th, 2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Smith (Post 975013)
I notice that my neat little trick of using the OEM software is not valid for HD6 and the older software from the HD7/HD3.

I take it that Steve already knows that and that would explain the update for iMovie 08. Is there a simple explanation for what everyone is doing in the case of HD6 format into an Apple Mac ?

I am not looking for a free advice, just a broad outline.

Doesn't the HD6 come with the same OEM software?

The update was because VisualHub is gone. The solution is MPEGStreamclip. Have you tried this?

Barry Smith December 9th, 2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 975029)
Doesn't the HD6 come with the same OEM software?

The update was because VisualHub is gone. The solution is MPEGStreamclip. Have you tried this?

Hi Steve,

I was generally relying on my XP Windows machine as a "universal" box to do all of the archive and grunt work. What I did find was that the HD6 is one of those cameras you would dislike on a PC or a Mac. With the older conversion "tricks" on a PC it made the HD3/HD7 very friendly to generate those much needed MPG files very quickly.

The OEM package for the HD6 does not parse the files as did the previous version with the HD3/HD7.

Using the old write up for "Power Director 5 Express" does not work with the HD6. Nor does the new bundled version of the OEM software dump a converted version which it then imports again. Version 5 hangs at some random value. The file format is different yet again.

What appears to happen with the HD6 version bundled SW is several background process in a DOS application / service which converts on the fly with a codec for editing in the supplied package. I have had little or no problem dropping raw footage into a timeline and doing a HD export / render.

Obviously with the HD10 and higher (HD30, HD40 etc) the codec / setup is AVCHD which works directly into Apple software.

I have not
- run the high end packages with renamed file extensions on HD6 raw footage. That is something I might do later.
- expanded Quicktime to the Pro version to do a file conversion within the Apple OS-X 10.5.5 using latest Quicktime.
- changed the file names and dropped the files into a modern pro-editor
- used MPEGstreamclip and it seems I may have to look further into that option.

These are still areas to look at.

Below is a screen shot of the two inline background applications which support the new Director 6 OEM in Windows. The Mac version is just an expansion to the Quicktime tool which then also requires a Pro expansion and possibly an MPEG2 plug-in for other uses (could be wrong). I like these low budget solutions in the past as they were very student-friendly. Now I find myself trying to make a new workflow at a low budget for the HD6.

For Mac users consider the HD6 carefully I think. That extra work is just more work.

http://www.benzmodz.com/JVC/HD6-codecs.gif

Barry Smith December 10th, 2008 07:29 AM

Tonight I discovered that FCP Express 4.1 does not read directly the AVCHD files generated by the HD10. It needs to parse with iMovie 08 first.

Yet another variable in workflow which conforms to JVC being almost compatible.

Steve Mullen December 11th, 2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Smith (Post 975543)
The OEM package for the HD6 does not parse the files as did the previous version with the HD3/HD7.

Using the old write up for "Power Director 5 Express" does not work with the HD6. Nor does the new bundled version of the OEM software dump a converted version which it then imports again. Version 5 hangs at some random value. The file format is different yet again.

Hi Barry,

Looks like JVC has gone a different and cheaper direction with the HD6. No reason to pay for PowerDirector.

Keeping costs low may be the #1 goal of Japanese companies for 2009. Sony has laid off 8000 and is cutting projects. My guess is that we will see several years of really cheap camcorders that will appeal to a world of folks who will not spend much more than $750-$850.

Barry Smith December 11th, 2008 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 976171)
Hi Barry,

Looks like JVC has gone a different and cheaper direction with the HD6. No reason to pay for PowerDirector.

Keeping costs low may be the #1 goal of Japanese companies for 2009. Sony has laid off 8000 and is cutting projects. My guess is that we will see several years of really cheap camcorders that will appeal to a world of folks who will not spend much more than $750-$850.

I find that they use Powerdirector as the bundled package. Now they have removed even more of the previously available file conversion routines. Making it more canned.

Students are a good benchmark for Joe Citizen. If a limited budget can produce effective outcomes then that leaves more money for storage, tripods, microphones and so on.

Obviously with a massive budget anything is possible. I like to work with a tiny budget as that translates well to reality (more so now).

If you want to sell cameras (I say this to JVC) then it should come with the most painless file conversion process. Making special bundles of SW no person uses and then giving some BS marketing regarding AVCHD in the new release HD-10 / 30 / 40 model just does not help.

I am keeping to this brand but I am starting to look around at how I can use this product without thumping my head on a wall. Obviously you have done some work on conversion and workflow. I think that is going to save me some time. I will just send everyone your link.