DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   GY-HM100: If you have the $$$ an HD7 replacement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/141175-gy-hm100-if-you-have-hd7-replacement.html)

Steve Mullen January 8th, 2009 05:15 PM

GY-HM100: If you have the $$$ an HD7 replacement

Industry’s first native support QuickTime file format for Apple’s Final Cut Pro
Both camcorders natively record the file format used by Apple QuickTime for Final Cut Pro. Video clips are dragged directly from the storage media onto the non-linear editor's timeline, eliminating the need for transcoding that can consume excessive time and disk space while maintaining original first generation image quality.

Enhanced MPEG2 Long GOP Encoder
Drawing from its experience in developing encoders currently used in broadcast applications, JVC developed a proprietary codec capable of providing highly efficient compression up to 35 megabits per second, a bit rate supporting full 1920 x 1080 encoding in the HQ mode. This results in recorded images of extremely high quality. MPEG2 long GOP encoding is the most widely implemented broadcast standard compression and is currently supported by all popular editing systems and broadcast servers. Additionally, both cameras can record 720p (19/35Mbps) and 1080i (25Mbps) in SP mode, assuring compatibility with today’s most popular professional NLE systems.

SDHC Media Card
Both units record on widely available SDHC memory cards, presently available in capacities up to 32GB. The cameras provide 2 memory card slots, for a total of up to 64GB of on board storage—enough for up to 6 hours of continuous HD recording. The cameras automatically begin recording on the second card when the first card is full. Also, unlike other professional solid state media, the per-minute cost of SDHC memory is comparable to professional video tape. Moreover, SDHC media becomes the first practical solid state solution for physical archiving.

Ultra-Compact 3.0 lb. Handheld Form Factor
The GY-HM100 is the smallest professional format 3-CCD camcorder available at about the size of a lens for a 2/3-inch imager camera. This makes it ideal for applications where a full size camera would be impractical, such as tight quarters and operating in potentially unsafe situations. For a smaller footprint and less conspicuous shooting, the handle can be easily removed and the audio can be recorded via the built-in 2-channel microphone.

Three Ľ-inch Progressive CCDs
Three newly developed Ľ-inch progressive scan CCDs provide rich, accurate colors. The red and blue pixel locations are spatially off-set relative to green, enabling the sampled luminance information to be significantly increased in both horizontal and vertical directions. This results in higher resolution images compared to prior CCD designs. To separate primary colors, JVC has incorporated a high quality - glass prism and a proprietary mounting technology.

Fujinon 10:1 Zoom HD Lens
The GY-HM100U utilizes a high definition lens by Fujinon, a world leader in HD lens technology. This lens features three aspherical elements. In addition, the lens surface has a new Electronic Beam Coating (EBC) that greatly reduces degradation caused by light reflecting off the lens surfaces, leading to greater light transmission and reduced flaring and ghosting. To protect the lens, a flip-in cover is integrated in the lens hood, eliminating the need for an external cap.

Focus is controlled manually or automatically. A smooth servo zoom is controlled with a conventional rocker on the handgrip, or manually with the lens ring. For close-up shooting, a macro mode allows for shooting subjects as little as 2-inches away from the lens. Exposure (iris) is manually or automatically controlled, allowing the shooter to adjust the depth of focus by selecting the appropriate F stop. In the manual iris mode, the current F stop value is displayed in the viewfinder.

Professional controls and layout
Despite its size, the camera's hand grip has an ergonomic shape, accommodating hands of all sizes. Control and switches are placed with professional users in mind. To conserve space, a single ring is used for both manual focus and manual zoom. Additional manual controls include white balance, shutter, gain, and audio levels.

Additional GY-HM100 Features

Newly designed JVC’s original Optical Image Stabilization
JVC patented Focus Assist
Color viewfinder and LCD display
2-Channel balanced audio inputs, mic/line switchable with built-in phantom power supply
HDMI output
USB 2.0 interface

The GY-HM100 is scheduled for delivery in April 2009, with a list price under $4,000.

Additional photos and product details can be found at GY-HM100 Intro Video

Mark Cinense January 8th, 2009 06:59 PM

Wow... tha's really nice. I would consider it if my budget gets up there. But for now, it's only a dream for me.

Kaushik Parmar January 8th, 2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 991502)
Industry’s first native support QuickTime file format for Apple’s Final Cut Pro
Both camcorders natively record the file format used by Apple QuickTime for Final Cut Pro. Video clips are dragged directly from the storage media onto the non-linear editor's timeline, eliminating the need for transcoding that can consume excessive time and disk space while maintaining original first generation image quality.

Enhanced MPEG2 Long GOP Encoder
Drawing from its experience in developing encoders currently used in broadcast applications, JVC developed a proprietary codec capable of providing highly efficient compression up to 35 megabits per second, a bit rate supporting full 1920 x 1080 encoding in the HQ mode. This results in recorded images of extremely high quality. MPEG2 long GOP encoding is the most widely implemented broadcast standard compression and is currently supported by all popular editing systems and broadcast servers. Additionally, both cameras can record 720p (19/35Mbps) and 1080i (25Mbps) in SP mode, assuring compatibility with today’s most popular professional NLE systems.

SDHC Media Card
Both units record on widely available SDHC memory cards, presently available in capacities up to 32GB. The cameras provide 2 memory card slots, for a total of up to 64GB of on board storage—enough for up to 6 hours of continuous HD recording. The cameras automatically begin recording on the second card when the first card is full. Also, unlike other professional solid state media, the per-minute cost of SDHC memory is comparable to professional video tape. Moreover, SDHC media becomes the first practical solid state solution for physical archiving.

Ultra-Compact 3.0 lb. Handheld Form Factor
The GY-HM100 is the smallest professional format 3-CCD camcorder available at about the size of a lens for a 2/3-inch imager camera. This makes it ideal for applications where a full size camera would be impractical, such as tight quarters and operating in potentially unsafe situations. For a smaller footprint and less conspicuous shooting, the handle can be easily removed and the audio can be recorded via the built-in 2-channel microphone.

Three Ľ-inch Progressive CCDs
Three newly developed Ľ-inch progressive scan CCDs provide rich, accurate colors. The red and blue pixel locations are spatially off-set relative to green, enabling the sampled luminance information to be significantly increased in both horizontal and vertical directions. This results in higher resolution images compared to prior CCD designs. To separate primary colors, JVC has incorporated a high quality - glass prism and a proprietary mounting technology.

Fujinon 10:1 Zoom HD Lens
The GY-HM100U utilizes a high definition lens by Fujinon, a world leader in HD lens technology. This lens features three aspherical elements. In addition, the lens surface has a new Electronic Beam Coating (EBC) that greatly reduces degradation caused by light reflecting off the lens surfaces, leading to greater light transmission and reduced flaring and ghosting. To protect the lens, a flip-in cover is integrated in the lens hood, eliminating the need for an external cap.

Focus is controlled manually or automatically. A smooth servo zoom is controlled with a conventional rocker on the handgrip, or manually with the lens ring. For close-up shooting, a macro mode allows for shooting subjects as little as 2-inches away from the lens. Exposure (iris) is manually or automatically controlled, allowing the shooter to adjust the depth of focus by selecting the appropriate F stop. In the manual iris mode, the current F stop value is displayed in the viewfinder.

Professional controls and layout
Despite its size, the camera's hand grip has an ergonomic shape, accommodating hands of all sizes. Control and switches are placed with professional users in mind. To conserve space, a single ring is used for both manual focus and manual zoom. Additional manual controls include white balance, shutter, gain, and audio levels.

Additional GY-HM100 Features

Newly designed JVC’s original Optical Image Stabilization
JVC patented Focus Assist
Color viewfinder and LCD display
2-Channel balanced audio inputs, mic/line switchable with built-in phantom power supply
HDMI output
USB 2.0 interface

The GY-HM100 is scheduled for delivery in April 2009, with a list price under $4,000.

Additional photos and product details can be found at GY-HM100 Intro Video

Fantastic news! Looking forward to see it! How it is different than HD7? Internal HDD would have been good, but two 32GB SDHC card slot are also good. It looks similer to HD7, but $4000 is high price! 20X optical zoom should have been there!

Kaushik

Jeff Nyman January 10th, 2009 10:44 AM

Firmware?

Now that they've developed this they need to give us a firmware update for the HD7 so we can record .mov

Steve Nunez January 10th, 2009 10:55 AM

I've always liked the JVC HD1 and 10U's ergonomics and size factors- it seems as if they were retooled for internal recording and replaced the chips etc for this modern setup. Let's hope the video from those small chips are up to the task and $4000 price tag as HMC 150's are now at $3300.
I love the FCP ready clips as no transcoding is necessary and JVC hit a home run on that front alone! If this thing produces good dynamic range and can keep from crushed blacks and clipped whites it should do really well- but a $2500 price point should have been targeted. A 10X only lens is a bit weak but in line with many prosumer camcorders- but a 20X would have been a real asset.
I really look forward to this camcorder and people's first impressions- I'm sure the DVinfonetters will give it a thorough analysis. I also hope the $4K price is MSRP with actual street pricing to be significantly lower during these hard economic times.

I can't wait for the 1st reviews to spring up- I'll be watching with cash in hand!

Kaushik Parmar January 10th, 2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez (Post 992616)
I've always liked the JVC HD1 and 10U's ergonomics and size factors- it seems as if they were retooled for internal recording and replaced the chips etc for this modern setup. Let's hope the video from those small chips are up to the task and $4000 price tag as HMC 150's are now at $3300.
I love the FCP ready clips as no transcoding is necessary and JVC hit a home run on that front alone! If this thing produces good dynamic range and can keep from crushed blacks and clipped whites it should do really well- but a $2500 price point should have been targeted. A 10X only lens is a bit weak but in line with many prosumer camcorders- but a 20X would have been a real asset.
I really look forward to this camcorder and people's first impressions- I'm sure the DVinfonetters will give it a thorough analysis. I also hope the $4K price is MSRP with actual street pricing to be significantly lower during these hard economic times.

I can't wait for the 1st reviews to spring up- I'll be watching with cash in hand!

Steve Nunez,

Hey! You seen after long time, nice to see you after long time!

Kaushik

Steve Mullen January 10th, 2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez (Post 992616)
Let's hope the video from those small chips are up to the task and $4000 price tag as HMC 150's are now at $3300.

We don't yet no if the chips are 960x540 as is the 150s and the HD7. I suspect they will be simply bigger versions of the HD7 chips. Clue -- like Panasonic, JVC did not give the rez.

I'm sure the street price will be competitive. Depends a lot on the yen/$ this year.

The best thing is no AVCHD to edit!

Steve Nunez January 10th, 2009 08:16 PM

Hey Kaushik, how are you?
Steve, yes sir- I hate AVCHD for editing- but the file small size of the native clips and quality are impressive- but I agree editing is a pain!!!!

I applaud JVC for thinking outside the box and bringing in a model for guys like us who want HD and affordable solid state recording media in a prosumer package that can yield high quality results with FCP ready files- VERY nice!

I for one will really be looking forward to this models reviews- hopefully favorable in comparison to AVCHD cams.
JVC fired the 1st shot (as usual) let's see who else will bring a FCP edit ready camera to market!!!!

Kaushik Parmar January 11th, 2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez (Post 992864)
Hey Kaushik, how are you?
Steve, yes sir- I hate AVCHD for editing- but the file small size of the native clips and quality are impressive- but I agree editing is a pain!!!!

I applaud JVC for thinking outside the box and bringing in a model for guys like us who want HD and affordable solid state recording media in a prosumer package that can yield high quality results with FCP ready files- VERY nice!

I for one will really be looking forward to this models reviews- hopefully favorable in comparison to AVCHD cams.
JVC fired the 1st shot (as usual) let's see who else will bring a FCP edit ready camera to market!!!!

Steve Nunez,

I am doing great! I am really egarly waiting to see new JVC ProHD camera! Hope this would be fantastic camera, and I am enjoying my HD7, and have seen my latest clip: Kankaria Lake, Ahmedabad, December 2008 on Vimeo

Kaushik