special needs, conversion time for FCS2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM   #1
New Boot

special needs, conversion time for FCS2

Hi,

I am strongly considering the HD 6 as a budget stopgap camera because I need a CCD cam with good OIS to shoot sailboat racing without skew. Obviously this cam fits the bill except for workflow... I will consider the HM 100 but find it prohibitively expensive for now. Especially compared to the small Panny which will probably end up below 3k on the street.

BUT, I also need to produce very quick same day edits for my clients so I cant be batch converting files overnight. From this forum I see that conversion is possible with MPEG streamclip but no one has mentioned just how long it takes? Is it 1:1 or more? I have a 2.66 MBP with 2 gb RAM.

I would probably go to prores 422 1920. Does anyone know which program would do this best and fastest and HOW LONG it would take?? Would AIC be faster/better?

Also if any of you have any other ideas / advice about my needs, please feel free to chime in!!!

Thanks guys
Roddy Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Graeme View Post
Hi,

I am strongly considering the HD 6 as a budget stopgap camera because I need a CCD cam with good OIS to shoot sailboat racing without skew. Obviously this cam fits the bill except for workflow... I will consider the HM 100 but find it prohibitively expensive for now. Especially compared to the small Panny which will probably end up below 3k on the street.

BUT, I also need to produce very quick same day edits for my clients so I cant be batch converting files overnight. From this forum I see that conversion is possible with MPEG streamclip but no one has mentioned just how long it takes? Is it 1:1 or more? I have a 2.66 MBP with 2 gb RAM.

I would probably go to prores 422 1920. Does anyone know which program would do this best and fastest and HOW LONG it would take?? Would AIC be faster/better?

Also if any of you have any other ideas / advice about my needs, please feel free to chime in!!!

Thanks guys
Yes, HM 100 would be expensive.

But I am afraid why you need to convert your RAW files? You can direct import in your Video Editing Software. I am proud owner of HD7, and never conver .TOD files in MPEG or anything.

I guess all major software recognized .TOD files. I am assuming HD6 is also has .TOD extantion like HD7.

Here is my profile in vimeo: Kaushik on Vimeo

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Kaushik,

I was under the impression that files had to be converted first. Do you or anyone else know what workflows can be used in FCP 6?

thanks
Roddy Graeme is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series