DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   Camcorders Finally Find Hard Drives (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/35471-camcorders-finally-find-hard-drives.html)

Benjamin Durin February 1st, 2005 01:05 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Will Fastie : Tape has better archival qualities than writable optical discs. Tape remains the prefered archival medium in the information technology world.

Last year I had occasion to look at some tapes recorded with my original Sony Video 8 camera. Those tapes are fine. I also looked at some older manufactured CDs (i.e., stamped, not burned) that were younger than those old video tapes. A few of the CDs had started to deteriorate and could not be read.

It was the first time I came face-to-face with the mortality of CDs and it did not make me feel good about my large DVD collection. It is the dirty little secret of optical media. -->>>

I don't think it is fair to compare your camera tapes with your audio CD. You probably stored your tapes carefully without using them often whereas I believe you listened your audio CD a number of times.

My own 15 years old CD are fine unless there are scratches (accidents happen). My VHS tapes quickly lost colors or were unreadable after a few years. So I was really happy when the DVD arrived.

I don't think CD and DVD are the best support ever but I really don't like tapes. Maybe I am paranoid, I always make a backup on an external hard drive and on DVD.

Benjamin.

Will Fastie February 1st, 2005 10:58 AM

Benjamin:

You make a good point about using audio CDs frequently.

In my case, however, these were data CDs intended for archival storage and used very infrequently. In storage, they delaminated. I surely don't have hardened storage. My video tapes and data CDs are stored in the same area of my house, so they are subjected to the same environment.

Will

Zack Birlew February 1st, 2005 02:58 PM

Yeah..... but floppy disks are still worse! >.<

Brent Marks March 1st, 2005 01:37 AM

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the FIRESTORE and like devices.

I work in the NOW and the NEAR FUTURE...

We need to make $ now and plan to make $ tomorrow

forget about yestarday....

What do you guys think of the FIRESTORE?

Will Fastie March 1st, 2005 08:02 AM

Hard disk is the future, no question, especially for pros. Fujitsu just jumped into the small form factor hard drive fray with plans for a 2-1/2" 120GB drive, which is enough to hold 10 hours of AVI, less for HD of course.

That still does not address the issue of archive.

Chris Hurd March 1st, 2005 08:25 AM

Brent, the reason we haven't mentioned FireStore (and I am a big fan of that concept) is because this thread is about built-in drives, not external (for those not aware, FireStore is an external add-on, see our dedicated FireStore forum for more info). While there have been a handful of higher-end, very expensive video cameras with built-in drives, what I'm really curious about are the more affordable prosumer cameras and consumer camcorders finally getting built-in drives. JVC is at least taking steps in the right direction.

Please direct all FireStore discussion to our dedicated FireStore forum. Thanks,

Brent Marks March 1st, 2005 04:12 PM

Chris...So true... thanks

I can't wait for built in hard-drives....

In the meantime I think firestore is a fantastic option...

Because U are getting tape and digital simaltaneously...

One for archive, one for quick editing....

The problem is the price of these units... and the batt time.
I can deal with the battery time on the firestore's
Just not the price:)

I will go to the firestore thread now!

Thanks

Andrew Petrie March 2nd, 2005 07:34 PM

Not only is JVC going microdrive for it's size, but they are less prone to bad-writes due to vibration or other physical hiccups caused by the user (running while recording, in-car, etc. than the 2.5" laptop counterparts.

I still wait for the day of high capacity solid state drives. No moving parts are what we DV folk really need.

As for CD/DVD media, I archive to Taijo Yuden discs, but keep any absolutely important stuff on tape (in addition to the CD media). I am now considering investing in 1 or 2 high capacity hard disks with an enclosure strictly for archiving, and stored in a safe dry place (a fireproof safe perhaps?).