JVC Everio Direct to Disk footage looks jaggy/digital at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old October 10th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC Everio Direct to Disk footage looks jaggy/digital

Well I'm messing around with a JVC Everio Camcorder. I seriously (perhaps foolishly) thought the footage would be as good as my GL2's.

It records to a propritary *.mod file. I change it to a *.mpg file and it plays fine in various video players like WinDVD.

My question is this: The 30GB hard drive in the camera holds 7 HOURS of footage. That is around 4.5GB per hour, as opposed to 16GB per hour that mini DV tapes use. I'm assuming this compression of data is what makes the files look more jaggy/digital looking?

Are future tapless (hard drive based) HIGH Definition Camcorders going to have similar issues? Will the 16GB/hour storage rate be radically reduced?

Thanks for any insight on this direct to disk camcorder's technology and reading through this newbie's question.

Sincerely, Rolland
Old October 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Trustee

The Everio MC500 & new 505 are 3CCD cameras and come close to what a GL2 can produce. The problem is the JVC's use MPEG-2 compression and Dolby Digital sound and produce those .mod files you mentioned which is a modified mpeg-2 wrapper. Mpeg-2 footage occupies around 4GB/Hr with the HQ setting while Mini-DV uses 13Gb/hr- big difference. Mpeg-2 and DV use different compression schemes and all things considered equal DV will/should produce better video.

JVC recently announced a new 3CCD hi-definition camera to be released in 2007 which will store the files on an internal hard-drive.....there's no mention of the compression method used but I'm guessing mpeg-2.......keep an eye out for that camera- it might be just what you're looking for.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series