DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   JVC finally announces HD Everio!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/83341-jvc-finally-announces-hd-everio.html)

Ken Hodson March 17th, 2007 12:31 PM

Neither products are expected to mainstream products eg. what DVD is today, untill three years from now. So I don't get your perception that they will be gone by then. People will always want a hard copy version of a movie they purchase. People like to collect. We have had pay per view movie for a decade and it didn't slow down DVD sales.

Kalunga Lima March 17th, 2007 03:04 PM

I tend to agree with Lorry "The time for "supports" of any kind is over". We can still collect media "metaphorically" just like iTunes is doing for music, not to mention how digital still cameras has changed the way we store photographs. The logical step is that home videos will also be stored in the same manner. I cringe at the idea of going back to digitize all those miniDv family tapes.

Recently when my bank asked me what size safety deposit box I wanted, the first thing that came to my mind was something large enough for a 500Gb hard drive. As drives get bigger and faster, at the same time as we collect more photos, video and music, we will mostly likely keep upgrading our storage capability.

The process is sort of insidious, as it tens to happen without our thinking about it, everytime we upgrade our computers. I think that the HD Everio (like the HVX200) is a forerunner of things to come. For manufactors it's all about timing, knowing just when the market is ready for a product. In the case of the HVX200, I think it came a little too soon for its own good, and most likely the market will be much more receptive to an improved second generation HVX not only because of improved PS capacity and lower cost, but because of lower storage costs in general.

All this to say that I can't wait for the Everio to come out. I just hope it will have respectable low light capability... that 18 lux someone mentioned earlier is frightening.

Leila Alkadi March 23rd, 2007 12:35 PM

If I shoot at the best quality setting(5-hours)
using the HD7, will the footage be ready for
immediate editing once I dump it to my PC?
Or do I have to transcode it first? (assuming
that I only want to to quick/simple editing and
burn it straight to a Blu-Ray disc)

How reliable is the hard drives that JVC uses
for its current Everio camcorders? Can these
hard drives be replace by a JVC tech or possibly
even the owners? If so, how much does it cost?

Last question... :) Who actually owns JVC (or
the Victor Company) these days?

Thanks! :)

Mike Horrigan March 23rd, 2007 01:28 PM

Leila, I would check back in your HV20 thread. It looks like you had a setting issue with your camera..

Quote:

Well guys, put me down in the column that has absolutely zero problems with the autofocus. It behaves precisely like the HV10, instantaneous and accurate!
People are reporting on multiple forums that there is no issue with the focus. You either had a defective camera or should have spent more than an hour with it.

Cheers,

Mike

Leila Alkadi March 23rd, 2007 01:46 PM

I am giving the HV20 another try. It
should be here Monday or Tuesday.

However, I'm still keeping the GZ-HD7 on order, so I
can compare them. :)

Paulo Teixeira March 28th, 2007 06:09 PM

Watch.Impress Review

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...8/zooma300.htm

English
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...2Fzooma300.htm

Peter Frollo March 29th, 2007 02:51 PM

Official JVC product URL:

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/eve...lid=MPEverioHD

Peter Frollo March 29th, 2007 02:57 PM

Now where do I get 1920x1080i LCD computer monitor?

Jon Fairhurst March 29th, 2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Frollo (Post 650978)
Now where do I get 1920x1080i LCD computer monitor?

This should do (though it's "p", rather than "i")...

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...8,1709,00.html

Kalunga Lima March 29th, 2007 06:59 PM

I can well imagine a Pro version of the HD Everio with 1/3 CCDs, b&W viewfinder and XLR audio. And while we are at it, a Blu-ray SHARE STATION! Why is all this technology trickling down so slowly?

Bruno Donnet March 30th, 2007 10:14 AM

I'd a look on the videos proposed on their web pages.

Not bad at all except on 1 main point: look at the videos of the girl, the autofocus is very poor and seems to work less well compared to the recent other HD consumer/prosumer cameras.
On the japanese market this camera is advertised as the new HD reference on the high level of the 'consumer market': this non pro ' marketing segment' needs automatisms like the autofocus...

Need to wait for a HD8?...

Paulo Teixeira March 30th, 2007 12:10 PM

Looking at the 174MB file on the first few clips you can easily see that compared to the HC7 and the HV20 the resolution looks identical so this proves that pixel shifting really works, while the colors look incredible and very natural, much better than the samples of the HC7 and the HV20 that I saw so far but once you see the cat, the motion looks a bit worse than the competition. When it gets to the duck the bit rate dips to just below 8mbps for some strange reason. Even if you think the cat footage is very good, when you view the model, it becomes a little pixilated.

I thought the pixilation was the camcorders fault but when you see the bit rate dip below 8mbps in one of the clips, it must be because of the software that they use to edit it with. “Animated picture sample. With smart rendering mode of attachment software "PowerDirector 5 NE Express" you could see the fluctuation of chroma level while cutting and fold, re-rendering you did”

In the 34.5MB file the pixilation is gone and that was in fact a raw M2T file. Basically the 174MB file is not fully RAW.

Any opinions?

Bruno Donnet,
You can’t just use that as an example on how good or bad the auto focusing really is. Have you downloaded the 174MB file? The auto focus on some of the motion shots isn’t that bad. Anyway the camcorder does have a focusing ring around the lens so you are able to manually focus it yourself instead of constantly relying on the camcorder.

Peter Frollo March 30th, 2007 07:05 PM

I am confused and disappointed about this cam being interlaced. I read somewhere that the image is captured in progressive mode and later interlaced. Now JVC says "That's native 1920x1080i resolution that is maintained all the way from the lens and CCD". So is it no longer captured in progressive? Why does it matter? I was hoping that it would be possibles to convert it to progressive on a computer with better results than covering interlaced video captured in interlaced mode. While the cam output is high resolution this resolutions is wasted when watching on computer LCD monitor. I guess this is "OK" since this resolution is as good as it can get in under $2000.

I am also confused why there coexist these two recording modes, FHD and 1440CBR. Isn't this just 1440CBR cam and FHD is really just an extrapolated resolution? If I am not incorrect years back the HD1/10 when claimed as 720p some argued that the 720p detail isn't relay there. Saying that I am suspicious about the FHD recording mode...

I am assuming that when a video recorded in any of the 3 modes is deinterlaced to 720p, the details, latitude and color would be by generations better than those produced by HD10.

Any opinions?

Paulo Teixeira March 30th, 2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Frollo (Post 651711)
I am also confused why there coexist these two recording modes, FHD and 1440CBR. Isn't this just 1440CBR cam and FHD is really just an extrapolated resolution?

The reason the JVC couldn’t just use one mode is for compatibility reasons meaning you can use the 1440 CBR easily on the same time line as standard HDV while the 1920 mode does give you more pixels and the bit rate goes up to 30mbps in that mode but for all those extra pixels it would have been better if it went up to 35MBPS. If you have a 1920X1080 TV then the 1920 mode will look the best but if your screen have less pixels than you may want to stick with the 1440 27mbps mode.

Bruno Donnet March 31st, 2007 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 651517)
You can’t just use that as an example on how good or bad the auto focusing really is. Have you downloaded the 174MB file? The auto focus on some of the motion shots isn’t that bad. Anyway the camcorder does have a focusing ring around the lens so you are able to manually focus it yourself instead of constantly relying on the camcorder.

Yes I've downloaded the 174MB file, and I think that the cat sequence confirms my point of view: the focus is sometime lost.
Sure, the manual focus ring and the 'AF assit' function help to have a perfect focus, but this camera is targeted to be used by 'prosumers' and not professionals: good quality and automatism are the main line to follow, manual features are required too but only as 'options' (and sometimes, as 'potential options' that will be used 1 time in the life...).
I've paid attention to something-else: if you check the focus of the none moving scenes, you will see that the center of the picture is OK but not the left or right sides (considering the objects at the same distance). It's not clear for me if the cause is the optics or the compression rules used by the Everio HD.

I agree with you that the color and resolution are very good despite the small size of the sensors and this Everio HD 3CCD seems wonderfull on the paper, but right now, I'm a little disappointed and I'm waiting for more reviews/tests and more real footages.