DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   JVC finally announces HD Everio!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/83341-jvc-finally-announces-hd-everio.html)

Guy Barwood January 13th, 2007 02:23 AM

And I am hoping that this prosumer model might be announced at NAB in a few months.

Thanasis Grigoropoulos January 13th, 2007 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
You had better check that article again. If it did detail 720p at one stage it has been edited to remove this now making it suspect if it has it at all.

Yeap!

The 720p paragraph is gone! Is the 720p gone together with the paragraph? I hope not but it looks like...

Thanasis

Steve Nunez January 13th, 2007 08:37 AM

Well if they do plan on making 2 models one of which has a progressive mode(s)- it would be nice if JVC would announce it and a price. At $1799 for the interlaced model- the progressive model shouldn't cost too much more and would be worthy of consideration.
I sorta doubt this is where they're going- but I'm open to it and would certainly welcome it.

Ken Hodson January 13th, 2007 11:15 AM

I would expect $2499.99 for the prosumer model, if indeed this is where it is going. Those are still damn small chips though.

Leonard Richardson January 13th, 2007 04:23 PM

I don't think JVC knows what they are going to do on some features. In the video at the show from another website the Rep states "More features as they are released. I think it all comes down to the program they install in the camera. I wonder who makes that call at JVC? yes we want that or maybe that . !!!! I hope they read some of these post in the past . If they do we might have a winner !

Len

Steve Nunez January 13th, 2007 10:29 PM

Leonard- might you have a url for that video?

Leonard Richardson January 14th, 2007 12:21 AM

Hi

Yes I do.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...-Camcorder.htm

He makes the statement right at the Mid part of the video . the video is 04:05 long and he makes the statement at appox 02:17 into the video and he is the Nat. Product Mgr. for JVC

Len

Ken Hodson January 14th, 2007 03:11 AM

It is sad JVC had to play the number game. 720p60 would be so much nicer then overly pixel shifted 1080i on this little cam, sadly I can see why they needed to go that way because consumers simply buy the bigger number. Progressive compresses better then interlaced and who the hell owns an interlaced HD display? Sad. JVC has been the back bone on 720p thus far. At least all of their pro equipment has gone 720p60, but then pro people are not so easily tricked by inflated numbers. I don't care if it also shoots interlaced, but they better pull some progressive modes out their butt quick. Otherwise it looks sweet. But no way in hell am I buying an interlaced cam in 2007. 30mbps VBR mpeg2 or not.
I think it is funny how the sales rep states it shoots mpeg2 so it can be burnt on Blue-ray. Like somehow HD-DVD won't work equally well. I guess JVC backs Blue-ray.

Ken Hodson January 14th, 2007 03:18 AM

1:30 seconds, describing the features "on it".

"And it's nice and small- on it"

Priceless.

Steve Nunez January 14th, 2007 09:49 AM

Well he does say that certain feature details will be released closer to the release date.....so perhaps it does have a 720p mode as discussed earlier and perhaps JVC didn't want that info leaked and had it pulled from the previous write-up.....well no use just speculating what's to come from this camera (we've done that allot in this thread)- so let's see what further infomation we can learn about this camera and post it here.
(JVC does seem to be pulling out the stops on this camera and even sourced the lens to Fujinon, hopefully meaning they consider image quality to be paramount- so more to come soon hopefully.)

Steve Nunez January 17th, 2007 07:02 PM

Here's yet another magazine brief....

http://www.videomaker.com/news/2007/...umer-camcorder

Wayne Morellini January 17th, 2007 09:05 PM

Back from holidays (semi-back actually). Saw this before was tempted to reply.

Information on the JVC Everio has been out since the year before last, and some earlier information indicated dual 720p and 1080i. Having both through a pixel shift scheme, will it be able to deliver the quality on both in one scheme. But the question is that does this have HDMI and do 1080p though it?

I am surprised that they only went to 30Mbs Mpg2, Sony format, I thought they would go at least to 36mb/s format. It should be better than HDV, and 720p descent if 30mb/s was available to it. I read that Mpeg2 Bluray movie disks have had a bad rap for quality and artifacting (these are the ones professionally compressed to) mpeg4 like codecs are being preferred).

The question we should be asking, is can this camera produce quality/latitude/noise as good as the Canon pocket camera, or at least the HC1.

IF JVC can answer all these things in a prosumer model (including 720 60p) for closer to $2000 (not the ridiculous $3.5K that the HD10 went for) then we will have our selves something nice indeed.

Guy Barwood January 17th, 2007 09:52 PM

Clearly the issues with BR movie quality has nothing to do with the media format itself but it is the Studio that determines it by the encoding process or the physical player doing the decoding. Apparently it is only the Sony disks with issues, the Columbia ones are fine.

BluRay and HD-DVD both share the same codec options so the quality difference can only be determined by the encoding or decoding process. The only exception is with BR having 66% more space per layer than HD-DVD (10GB more than HD-DVDs 15GB) for lengthy productions in MPG2 BR could use a higher bitrate than HD-DVD and so provide higher quality.

Steve Nunez January 18th, 2007 10:37 PM

Wayne, if this camera ends up with quality as "good" as the Canon pocket cam (HV10) I'd be thrilled.....have you seen the footage an HV10 produces?

5 pages and going- if this camera delievers, it should end up being a hit!

Wayne Morellini January 21st, 2007 09:42 AM

Guy,

That is the point, the camera only has the mpeg2 option that Sony was using. Apparently they are now switching over to other codec options. On my holidays I spent much time examining the different Blu-ray demo movie footage, I see what they mean. The grain in movies seems to play havoc with the Mpeg2, but much of the non-Sony demos seem better.

Steve,

I agree with you, that is what I meant, I hope the small chips don't get in the way. From what I have been told by an JVC reseller, there is a professional camera coming mid year (I think from memory) probably announced NAB. I forget wherever this is to be an new design, and I think it was, and I hope it is. I think this camera is probably going to be consumer like other Everios.