DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   I checked out Everio HD7 at Sakuraya in Shibuya (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/89855-i-checked-out-everio-hd7-sakuraya-shibuya.html)

Kaku Ito March 25th, 2007 12:56 AM

I checked out Everio HD7 at Sakuraya in Shibuya

Overall, nicely put together video camera. The focus ring was very, very smooth and felt reasonably heavy/light. There's only the rocker zoom and I don't think there's external remote jack. There are dedicated buttons for switching the auto/manual focus, turning the focus assist on, and buttons to make the vertical small lever work as setting the shutter speed, Iris, or the brightness.

I thought this camera can be controlled pretty well (maybe little better than HC1/A1J in certain extent) to express more things with the control of the camera.

The video looked good but when I had the manual focus and wave my hand in front of the camera, I saw some multicolored little blocks on my camera (this was in the Full HD mode, I couldn’t check enough with the 1440 mode).

I think it would be worthy enough to check more on how this camera performs.
I’m planning to use the HDMI and capture uncompressed instead for the convenience. I hope it outputs uncompressed through HDMI.

P.S.
I would like JVC to come out with 720/60p/24p format capable HDV camera using the same kind of chassis and functions. Then it will be great second camera for HD100/200/250.

Jemore Santos March 25th, 2007 03:01 AM

Hey Kaku it's been a while! Thanks for the heads up, do you have pics of it?

Kaku Ito March 25th, 2007 03:51 AM

Heeey, Jemore!

No, I didn't take a picture, I went there undercover (lol).
Proshops are not taking it serious about HD7 yet. If ProVideoStation starts carrying it, we can take a look at it a lot closer.

Tim Dashwood March 25th, 2007 01:57 PM

Some photos here:

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everiohd

This is put out by the consumer division, so it doesn't look like any progressive modes are available - not even faux de-interlacing "F" modes.

Steve Mullen March 25th, 2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito (Post 647807)
P.S. I would like JVC to come out with 720/60p/24p format capable HDV camera using the same kind of chassis and functions. Then it will be great second camera for HD100/200/250.

YES! I'm hoping the PRO group will do this as it did the HD10. It's really the only thing that might be a nice surprise at NAB.

Did you, or can you, find out the full sensitivity specs, please.

And, how was the AF? The HD1/HD10 was not great.

They are using really tiny CCDs and I've heard the sensitivity is low. But, JVC often limits gain (they call it AGC) to only +6dB, so it's hard to compare to other camcorders.

How is Japan taking the purchase of JVC by Texas Pacific Group? I would think it would be big news.

Kaku Ito March 25th, 2007 05:59 PM

Steve-san!

I was checking on the manual focus ring, but the auto focus felt not fast.

At Sakuraya, I was shooting inisde of the store and since it was the 1st floor, I was able to shoot outside from the display counter. It was raining but it was not dark so didn't notice any bad sensitivity.

At Biccamera, it was totally indoor but the lighting was massive.

I will see how it is as much as I can when I have chance to test it.

Is the acquring concluded? JVC was owned by Panasonic anyway, so I personally think it won't be so different, but I would imagine JVC will get some kick in the butt from TPG than Panasonic.

Guy Barwood March 25th, 2007 09:20 PM

shouldn't this thread be moved out of this forum like every other thread on this camera?

Tim Dashwood March 25th, 2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Barwood (Post 648351)
shouldn't this thread be moved out of this forum like every other thread on this camera?

Yes... Just figuring out where.

Kaku Ito March 25th, 2007 11:46 PM

New thread setup now? I checked before I made a new thread.

Steve Mullen March 26th, 2007 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito (Post 648239)
Is the acquring concluded? JVC was owned by Panasonic anyway, so I personally think it won't be so different, but I would imagine JVC will get some kick in the butt from TPG than Panasonic.

At the end of this month or next. The PRO group is profitable, but not a huge revenue generator. It was the CE group that was big revenue, but a big loss. Supposedly, the CE group will break even by end of March, which is very good news.

I imagine there will be a major elimination of jobs -- which Pana likely would not have done and senior JVC folks would never have done.

The HD7 is interesting because it's cheap and uses MPEG-2 (not AVCHD) and uses HDD not SD or tape. And, it looks great!

Ito-san, has Video Salon reviewed it yet?

Kaku Ito March 26th, 2007 10:15 AM

VideoAlpha will have through review better than the one video salon would cover this month.

What is your thought on using HDMI to capture with other codec? I tried the same route on Pana's AVCHD to HDV or DVCPRO HD but they didn't look good. Recording uncompressed (which does not add more compression) was the only way but using that much bandwidth didn't make much sense.
HD7's codec needs rendering on FCP at this moment but do you think it will change in the future?

Steve Mullen March 27th, 2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito (Post 648656)
VideoAlpha will have through review better than the one video salon would cover this month.

What is your thought on using HDMI to capture with other codec? I tried the same route on Pana's AVCHD to HDV or DVCPRO HD but they didn't look good. Recording uncompressed (which does not add more compression) was the only way but using that much bandwidth didn't make much sense.
HD7's codec needs rendering on FCP at this moment but do you think it will change in the future?

I expect that CineForm's software will do a great job. Frankly, one never knows what Apple will decide to support. The FCP group has always favored Pana and screwed JVC. The iMovie and FCE groups seem most open.

The problem IMHO is that Apple has supported each type of HDV with new code when they are all simply parameters of MPEG-2. Changing the frame size, shouldn't be anything but changing one number in one place.

Do VideoAlpha and Video Salon publish on web sites like American magazines?

Kaku Ito March 27th, 2007 05:23 PM

Thank you very much, your input is greatly appreciated.

Cineform would be great, Adobe is coming back to Mac, too, so it would be great I have a solutions to schools with this cam.
It is too bad that HD7 does not do 24P, though.
If it does, I think it would be great cam to teach students about both video and cinema making.

Videoalpha does not have much on the website.

Steve Mullen March 27th, 2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito (Post 649710)
It is too bad that HD7 does not do 24P, though.
If it does, I think it would be great cam to teach students about both video and cinema making.

Videoalpha does not have much on the website.

You can use dvfilm maker to deinterlace 60ito 24p.

Let's hope the pro group has built on the HD7. As I remember, like the V1, it creates 1080p60. This could be downscaled to 720p60. The HD7 seems to use the hvx200's dsp to get 1920x1080 from 960x540.

Kaku Ito March 28th, 2007 05:59 PM

Steve-san,

Thank you for that. Acutually doing that type of process might be good learning for the students. Not restricting their creativities with certain format.

I was thinking more towards using 1080i up conversion of HD250 footage to mix with HD7.

If they release the pro version at NAB, that will be dope.