DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/)
-   -   JVC GZ-HD7 (FHD 1920x1080i) & FCP6 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-everio-gz-hd-gz-hm-series/96780-jvc-gz-hd7-fhd-1920x1080i-fcp6.html)

James Ormerod June 18th, 2007 01:52 AM

JVC GZ-HD7 (FHD 1920x1080i) & FCP6 ?

Hi,

Being quite a new user to FCP, im working my way though apple's pro training book!

Im trying to import footage from my JVC Everio HD7. I connect the camera, drag the *.MOD files to my mac but when i import them in FCP, they need rendering. Even after rendering, if i make a small change, it needs to render the clip again :-(

Even just after importing, FCP has trouble viewing the clip in the Viewer?

Im not quite sure what settings I should use?

They seem to import & render in iMovie fine?

Steve Mullen August 2nd, 2007 03:35 AM

Download MPEGstreamclip V1.9 BETA and use it to BATCH convert TOD to AIC.

FCP gave us nothing new for MPEG-2.

Alan Warren August 29th, 2007 05:47 AM

Check out this JVC tutorial on converting the TODs to MOVs:

http://software.transdigital.co.jp/p...cbs_ev/qc_eng/

If you're recording in [1440CBR] you can batch capture directly into FCP6 over Firewire/i.Link, too.

Cheers :)

Steve Nunez August 29th, 2007 08:38 AM

Or just use Mpeg Streamclip to export to HDV 1080i 60.

Steve Mullen September 1st, 2007 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Warren (Post 736184)
Check out this JVC tutorial on converting the TODs to MOVs:

http://software.transdigital.co.jp/p...cbs_ev/qc_eng/

If you're recording in [1440CBR] you can batch capture directly into FCP6 over Firewire/i.Link, too.

Cheers :)

This software doesn't work with FCP 5.1.4 and 6. You can import fine, but if you play footage it will turn garbage. So, you can only use TODs in iMovieHD.

Alan Warren September 2nd, 2007 01:12 AM

Hello :)

I wasn't actually referring to any software linked on that page; rather the linked online tutorial that runs a user through converting TOD to MOV with Quicktime. I've been using that well-described method for captured FHD footage since I got the camera and not had any problems importing or editing with FCP or iMovieHD. Anything less than FHD I'm just batch capturing over Firewire/i.Link.

Cheers!

Steve Mullen September 2nd, 2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Warren (Post 738117)
... rather the linked online tutorial that runs a user through converting TOD to MOV with Quicktime. I've been using that well-described method for captured FHD footage since I got the camera and not had any problems importing or editing with FCP or iMovieHD.

The tutorial provides advice that makes converting a nightmare.

The QT Player doesn't do batch converts -- MPEG Streamclip does. Therefore, you do a batch convert overnight.

Steve Mullen September 2nd, 2007 09:56 PM

UPDATE: The JVC software works only with iMovieHD and the QuickTime Player.

If you assume it will work with FCP 5.1.4 or 6 you'll be screwed. You can import TODs, but if you play footage it will turn garbage.

For FCP, the TOD must be converted -- either using the QuickTime Player or MPEG Streamclip to AIC.

The QT Player doesn't do batch converts -- MPEG Streamclip does. Therefore, you do a batch convert overnight.

The Tutorials are at:

http://software.transdigital.co.jp/p...eng/index.html

Michael Ferreira September 13th, 2007 01:10 AM

after doing some testing MPEGstreamclip to HDV 1080i works perfect in FCP.

if you MPEGstreamclip to AIC your videos on your time line will have to be renderd or you will have to deal with crap video lag with real time.

MPEGstreamclip to HDV is damn near perfect on the FCP timeline no need for render or use of the real time engine.

just my 2 cents.

~Mike

Steve Nunez September 13th, 2007 06:49 AM

Michael- that's how I do it- no problems at all. I'm not sure why someone would use AIC- just doesn't seem necessary- or am I missing something using that codec?

Sulev Sepp September 13th, 2007 10:49 AM

Michael, Steve- how much it takes time (on Your system) to transcode with MPEGstreamclip 1 min. clip TOD to 1080i HDV?
I have MacBook Intel C2D 2,0Ghz with 2MB Ram and FCS 5.1.4 .
1 min TOD transfer takes 5 minutes. Have You near same result? 1 hour TOD takes 5 hour to transfer?

Sulev Sepp

Steve Nunez September 13th, 2007 07:55 PM

I just sold my HD7 and don;t have any raw tod files to transcode- but they did take awhile to encode- even on my MacPro desktop.

Kaushik Parmar September 14th, 2007 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez (Post 744065)
I just sold my HD7 and don;t have any raw tod files to transcode- but they did take awhile to encode- even on my MacPro desktop.

Steve,

You sold your GZHD7; I am afraid why you sold? You were not happy with it? I do remember you were the among the first who bought GZHD7 when it was launched four moths ago, I also purchased on first day when it was launched in North America. I am happy with it.

I was just curious about your decision so I asked

Kaushik

Steve Nunez September 14th, 2007 08:28 AM

Kaushik, I've owned allot of high-end cameras within the years as a hobbyist. I know good video quality and the HD7 just didn't do it for me. The form factor was great and the concept of HD to hard/drive is fantastic (without using AVCHD) so I jumped in and bought it. JVC says it has a broadcast quality lens spec, yet it has terrible chromatic abberation (usually a lens design trait) and worse blows out highlights really badly. It has trouble in higher dynamic range areas and handles brightly lit areas poorly- I just couldn't use the camera anymore- it was sub par in video quality and I was very disappointed....these are my observations with the camera. To those who like their units- I give thumbs up- mine was a dud! It was the one camera I wasn't sad to see go- and I got about 1/2 of what I paid for it!!!!!!

Kaushik Parmar September 15th, 2007 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez (Post 744302)
Kaushik, I've owned allot of high-end cameras within the years as a hobbyist. I know good video quality and the HD7 just didn't do it for me. The form factor was great and the concept of HD to hard/drive is fantastic (without using AVCHD) so I jumped in and bought it. JVC says it has a broadcast quality lens spec, yet it has terrible chromatic abberation (usually a lens design trait) and worse blows out highlights really badly. It has trouble in higher dynamic range areas and handles brightly lit areas poorly- I just couldn't use the camera anymore- it was sub par in video quality and I was very disappointed....these are my observations with the camera. To those who like their units- I give thumbs up- mine was a dud! It was the one camera I wasn't sad to see go- and I got about 1/2 of what I paid for it!!!!!!

Oh! I see. But it is always like that with electronics gadget if you resale it you will get half price of original. I am not technically savvy like you, and this is my first ever camcorder and it is HD too! I never have had any camcorder so I am ok with it. And I guess video quality is not bad.

Kaushik