Viewfinder issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 27th, 2003, 12:11 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

Viewfinder issues

The reviews of the VF are not meaningful in reality. To get a true HD LCD, you need to spend $10,000 to get one from Sony. And it's not even shipping yet. Panasonic makes one at about the same price.

So no matter what rez the JVC has, it will not be a HD VF or LCD.

Does that means you can't focus?

Of course not. I had no problem focusing it at NAB.

The HD10's LCD has been designed in a way that it looks like it has a peaking circuit. Focus is very obvious.

The HD10 gets a 180K VF.

There is the very real possibility that the right way to focus is to let the hi-rez CCD and AF logic do the job -- and then LOCK it for the shot. That's the way many Sony owners work.
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Quote:
There is the very real possibility that the right way to focus is to let the hi-rez CCD and AF logic do the job -- and then LOCK it for the shot.
Finally! Finally I see an expert suggesting exactly how I focus (and white balance) with my older JVC cams. I've tried to use the LCD and viewfinder, but their low res does not allow me to do so! Thanks, Steve!

PS: personally I thought this was a neat trick I discovered a way back, but no one seemed to agree with me.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Do you know if there will be zebra stripes available in the viewfinder of the HD10?
Also, does it come with an HD resolution capable MPEG-2 TS compressor utility? I'm still looking for one of these to complete the ability to edit HD10 footage uncompressed on the Mac, a PC untility would be fine too, but I don't know of one on the PC either.
Third, I heard a reliable rumour that the HD10U will be available in June rather than July, which is great news.

Thanks
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Finally! Finally I see an expert suggesting exactly how I focus (and white balance) with my older JVC cams. I've tried to use the LCD and viewfinder, but their low res does not allow me to do so! Thanks, Steve!

PS: personally I thought this was a neat trick I discovered a way back, but no one seemed to agree with me. -->>>

I discovered it when the first inner-focusing lens came out. If you used the traditional zoom in, then focus, then zoom out to compose -- you often did not have focus. So now I use the LCD/VF for COMPOSITION, not focus.

I'm glad to find someone else who likes to let the camera do its job.

This concept also works for exposure.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Do you know if there will be zebra stripes available in the viewfinder of the HD10?
Also, does it come with an HD resolution capable MPEG-2 TS compressor utility? I'm still looking for one of these to complete the ability to edit HD10 footage uncompressed on the Mac, a PC untility would be fine too, but I don't know of one on the PC either.
Third, I heard a reliable rumour that the HD10U will be available in June rather than July, which is great news.

Thanks -->>>

I did not see a zebra.

When i reviewed the PDX10 I was happy to see its AE was smart enough to keep over-exposure to a minimum. Small chip cameras have traditionally allowed over-exposure when using AE. So I didn't need zebra.

It is so easy to design an exposure computer that:

In low contrast, bias the exposure to prevent shadows from going black.

In medium contrast, uses the computed exposure.

In high contrast, bias the exposure to prevent the top from blowing out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U