DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   JVC Mini-HD Focus and Lens questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/10519-jvc-mini-hd-focus-lens-questions.html)

Heath McKnight June 5th, 2003 04:35 PM

JVC Mini-HD Focus and Lens questions

My buddy, a NYC-based D.I.T. (a real video/tech junkie) says the reason many of us had/have problems with the XL-1's focus is because the lens itself isn't totally ideal. He suggested using other Canon lenses, which many of us can't really afford.

So, with that in mind (I'm tired of my XL-1's focus issues), does the JY-HD10 have great focusing, considering it's glass and such? Also, is it possible to put one of those 35 MM lenses or adaptors on it? I've seen an XL-1 tripped out with it, and a VX2000 with some sort of adaptor and the lens.

Thanks,

heath
www.904am.com

Charles Papert June 5th, 2003 11:08 PM

The Canon manual lenses for the XL1 are the real deal, purely mechanical focusing. If you can still find the discontinued14x out there new, it's quite reasonable (probably around $6-700). It's pretty much the only lens I use. The 16x is quite a bit more, and while it adds the power zoom feature, it takes away the standard iris ring, which disqualified it for me. Both are excellent lenses otherwise.

Heath McKnight June 6th, 2003 02:22 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : The Canon manual lenses for the XL1 are the real deal, purely mechanical focusing. If you can still find the discontinued14x out there new, it's quite reasonable (probably around $6-700). It's pretty much the only lens I use. The 16x is quite a bit more, and while it adds the power zoom feature, it takes away the standard iris ring, which disqualified it for me. Both are excellent lenses otherwise. -->>>

Thanks, but I'm giving up on my XL-1, probably sell it or give it to a charity (I have a friend who does music with inner-city kids and he wants to do video, too).

But have you heard anything about the focusing on the JY-HD10 and if you can mount a 35 mm film lens on it?

heath

Heath McKnight June 6th, 2003 02:35 PM

A one chip camera, according to my video buds, is becoming more and more of a good thing. I read an article, written by our own Steve Mullen, about how the 1 chip works in the HD10U. I'm trying to remember who he writes for...Anyway, I showed an engineer at my work and he looked at the tech specs and said he'll never look down on the new one chip cameras coming out.

I'm gonna call up the only company near me to get in the HD10U to get a demo when I return from L.A. (unless someone out here has one) and write a review.

heath

Heath McKnight June 6th, 2003 03:05 PM

I downloaded the demo footage from that JVC HD camera, although it was high resolution, and looked good in that sense, it's colors weren't very good.

I had the opportunity to use a XL1 for about 20 or so minutes before. It's a great peice of video equipment. I don't know how you could give it up. -->>>

It's the second version of the original XL-1: the viewfinder doesn't get messed up in the sun, but the backfocus sucks. Chris Hurd, ruler of the DVinfo.net, told me it was a fluke fixed in the third version. I sent it in to Canon two years ago, but have had nothing but focusing problems since. I don't blame them, just the lens. I'd buy a new lens, but...It was horrible shooting a tiny short film "prequel" to my upcoming hi-def (CineAlta) movie, 9:04 AM. We did the film, SUZY'S OUT, in my apartment with TONS of lights during a film festival which I had another film in (I tell you this because the pressure was high and we wanted to destroy the XL-1). Even with tons of lights, here's what happened: we'd zoom in, on a tripod, focus, pull out and the focus was gone. DANG IT! I would watch my playback monitor as my DP focused. We found out the "sweet" part of the focus was down to a small area on the focus ring. Sorry for my lack of tech stuff.

Anyway, how about I demo the JVC in DV, SD and HD modes, if it's cool, I'll get my XL-1 fixed up (it's under warranty until next March or April 2004) and sell it to you. And buy the JVC. Email me at heath@mpsdigital.com if you're interested. That way I keep stuff like that off the boards!

heath
www.mpsdigital.com

Chris Hurd June 6th, 2003 04:17 PM

<< we'd zoom in, on a tripod, focus, pull out and the focus was gone >>

A documented issue for some but not all original 16x auto lenses. The remedy is to send the camera and lens to Canon service for a free software upgrade.

Steve Mullen writes for Video Systems magazine.

Steve Mullen June 6th, 2003 04:41 PM

<<<-- Even with tons of lights, here's what happened: we'd zoom in, on a tripod, focus, pull out and the focus was gone. DANG IT! I would watch my playback monitor as my DP focused. -->>>

With an AF lens -- simply compose and let the AF do the work using ONE-TOUCH.

When inner-focus lens were introduced, it became clear that the old zoom-in, focus, zoom-back did NOT always work. But people still try to use old way -- including me!

That's why I'm not concerned -- yet -- about the resolution of the HD viewfinder/LCD. Today's cameras have audio-limiters, AF, and AE so good that you can certainly try using them.

Heath McKnight June 6th, 2003 04:44 PM

<<<-- Steve, can the HD10 have a 35 mm lens put on it, like the XL-1 or --->

Good question. If the market grows and there is a demand, an adapter could be built.

Not knowing anything about lenses -- I wonder if the adapter would cause a loss of resolution plus a huge loss of light. Plus possible focus problems.

SO I've got to wonder why?

A wide (.7) adaptor seems like it would be necessary. I don't know if JVC will sell one in the USA.