Just got mu JY-HD1OU - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 21st, 2003, 08:28 AM   #31
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Yang Wen : With all this talk of how great it is, i'm surprised new owners havent put up any video clips of stuff shot on it. Please some one do so. I'd like to be proved wrong in this case, but I doubt it'll be that. -->>>

I doubt many have access to the storage and bandwidth necessary to post raw files. I do, but I don't feel qualified to shoot video that may influence others. I'm exclusively an underwater videographer.

If you have requests I may be able to help.
Old June 21st, 2003, 10:19 AM   #32
Major Player

My "Bi-Polar" JY-HD1OU Camera

Hi folks,

Just a quick note. I'm having too much fun with this new camera to spend a lot of time posting here right now, but will try and get a more detailed review later. I am also not a highly technical camera person, though I know enough to shoot high quality material. I would like to post some footage today or tomorrow. If someone could tell me where I could upload some to as I don' have a server myself, and how long the clips should be, I imagine no more than 8 seconds each for ease of downloading. I have only just got mPEG studio pro going so haven't been able to easiily edit anything, and have to learn how to use that package.

Anyway, in my head this camera is getting the nickname "The Bipolar Camera" as it is such a dichotomy. On the one hand it has awful controls, the shutter/iris non complete manual issue is a big one, the whites blow out easily. It adapts to changing light situations very slowly and visibly, it handles certain lighting situations very badly and can display pretty bad compression artifacts. When you pan or tilt, there appears to be a juddering problem under certain circumstances, where the compression doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the data coming in, (at a guess). You have to shoot at 1/30th to get a nice film type blur on fast moving objects.

On the other hand. I believe that SOME of the images I'm getting not only blow away ALL SD cameras in terms of detail and film-like image quality, but the average viewer would be hard pressed to tell them apart from Varicam footage or something of that standard.

The one thing I'm seeing is that this camera has a completly different look from DV, and I like it very much. The camera is going to have a niche market. I would not reccomend it for anyone who just wants to point and shoot home videos, (as is it's intended market), it is far too picky in what it can and can't do. I would also not reccomend it for professional shoots wher this is the only camera you have. It is not a tool that you can dial in, you will always have to work around its many inaequacies and awful controls. However, if you are up for a challenge and love learning about the obscure traits of strange new CCD, it might be for you, as I think it is for me, and it might reward you with some stunning images that are just not possible on DV.

At it's best, and under very specific circumstances, this camera delivers gorgeous pictures, that are extremely film-like, with excellent natural color reproduction and incredible detail that I'm sure could be blown up on a 40' screen and look like a Varicam shot film (at 30p)

At it's worst it delivery grainy, artifact ridden, blown out crap, that you wouldn't want to show to your dog. I hope to shoot some of the beter stuff once I learn this thing.

All the best

Paul
Old June 21st, 2003, 11:10 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Paul how about some full rez still frames as well?

Michael Pappas
www.Pbase.com/PappasArts9
Old June 21st, 2003, 01:51 PM   #34
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Craig Jones : Yes. I tried carefully and made sure I held the button for a long time. -->>>

Holding it down a long time LOCKS the control!

Try a brief push. Then adjust. Then press for 2 seconds.
Old June 21st, 2003, 02:00 PM   #35
HDV Cinema

Re: My "Bi-Polar" JY-HD1OU Camera

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Hi folks,

... the whites blow out easily.l -->>>

Exactly what you expect from a small 1/3-inch chip with over a million elements.

Try SPOTLIGHT to bias closed by 1-stop. Or, just use EC.

You must either control exposure or light.
Old June 21st, 2003, 02:07 PM   #36
Regular Crew

The exposure control is locked out when S/A is enabled regardless of the duration or number of times I press it. The short-then-long doesn't work either.
Old June 21st, 2003, 02:44 PM   #37
Inner Circle

no post

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U