Can someone please post your clips from the HD1? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 29th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #31
Regular Crew

It's great to see HD at this level. My first experience working with HD started 16 years ago in 1987 when I was 18. That camera took while to warm up before you could use it. This was also the year that the first HD major hollywood film was released that was filmed in HighDef. Julia and Julia (1987): Kathleen Turner, Sting, Gabriel Byrne. I remember seeing it on the movie screen and thinking this is going to work, and this is the future. I nearly got my head cut off in the film community here in LA for even saying that. Though that was the day of tube cameras and it was a bitch to prevent streaking. But it still looked good. Now here we are 16yrs latter and we have HD in the palm of our hands. It's amazing.

Michael Pappas
www.pbase.com/PappasArts9
www.pbase.com/Arrfilms

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Jackson : <<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas : I have some tests I want to post that I am waiting to finish as soon as I get more material, but it shows that mini dv breaks down far sooner in extreme post work to correct the image or adjust for a certain look. Where as the JVC can take a pretty good beating in post work to shape a final look. -->>>

I really look forward to seeing this, Michael. Have you shot any test footage to deliberately cause compression artifacting? I'd love to see some worst-case footage just to see what happens.

BTW, sorry to register and post so much on the first day, but I find the prospect of shooting student films with HD pretty exciting.

-Rob -->>>
Old June 30th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #32
Trustee

yes please do showme this because I have taken the hd shots on the web and did some color work on them,,,,,they looked REALLY bad....
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #33
Major Player

Michael, I'm uploading four clips to the dvinfo site now, and will upload more smaller ones a little later today.

Paul.

p.s. Obin, I can reccomend some very good books on color correction if you feel you need to brush up on your skills
Old June 30th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #34
Major Player

Newcommer :)

I've been lurking around for some weeks now and I think the time is right to get into the discussion since the camera is now available and the discussion seems to get a bit more open minded. I agree totally with Robert Jackson in his comments about the actual results available on the web. The JY-HD10u is a tool, not a complete one I must agree but a very promising one if the knowledge of the operator is sufficient. Definition indeed is the major issue here. I work a lot on the images I capture and I find the lack of definition often frustrating, I believe this camera (and others to come) will improve my work for the time being.

I am curious about Paul's tests, I will wait to see them. The tests seen for the moment are in uncontrolled environments, I wonder how it will perform in a controlled one...

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Jackson : I'm curious about what aspect of the image is so unusuable? The compression is acceptable, which was the biggest problem I was expecting. The color rendition isn't bad. I realize the bar has been raised a lot in the past few years, but there's nothing about those images that seems "not even close to good enough" to use in a production to my eye. So be specific, if you can. What about those images is unacceptable for production work?

It's not the images that the camera delivers that I see being problematic. It's the actual camera in use that's likely to be a problem. It seems almost impossible to adapt to a follow focus setup, the manual zoom is in all likelihood unusable and the image stabilization is apparently problematic. Those are all real considerations if you don't have time or the inclination to work around them. The images themselves, though, seem very acceptable and at that resolution and with minor color correction they should provide really stunning results, IMO.

-Rob -->>>
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old June 30th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #35
MPS Digital Studios

I'll have some footage up either tonight or tomorrow.

heath
Old July 8th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #36
Regular Crew

The only thing I guess with the JVC HD cam is that it looks very consumer like somthing you see at Walmart. It's a little too small for me. I think I'll give the another year to perfect the smaller DV cams. I just bought a DVX100. I don't have it yet. But I'll post some clips when I get it.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U