I've uploaded 12 clips to dvinfo.net site - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 30th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #31
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Oh yes, about the point Yang made that there's little point in shooting in HD then downsizing to DV. I do not believe that this is true at all!. That's why if you shoot with a camera capable of 800 lines of resolution at the front end, the picture will look much much crisper than a camera with 400 lines of resolution, even though both are writing to the same 720*480 DV tape format. Just compare the picture from a GL1 to that from a Sony dsr-500, it's a world of difference, yet the same tape format. -->>>

It's all 1s and 0s, that's why they use that tape. I bet the HD cameras use a thicker tape to be sturdier, but wouldn't be surprised if we could use any digital video tape to record a CineAlta. It's a conspiracy!!!! Call Matlock! :-)

In case I didn't mention it, GREAT WORK, PAUL! Now, to shoot some focus wheels or whatever in engineering while the Apple at work optimizes (what a fragmented mess!). And use the vector scope. Check my review page for it!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11459

(By the way, I can't get the link code thing to work, can someone help out so that's an actual link?)

heath
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #32
Major Player

I totally agree with you, shooting with a 2/3 ccd instead of a 1/3 actually makes a difference, also best to shoot with 520 000pix than 380 000, it will give a best overall definition with less noise. But the thing here is to get a good downconversion device or else it will be a pain in the ass to do it manually

Eric
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #33
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Jackson : And, to use a commonly avaiable medium, DVDs. You can certainly tell a film transfer from something that originated on Mini-DV on a DVD, even though the final resolution isn't very high. Nobody's going to confuse "Full Frontal" for "Apocalypse Now." You always want the master to be as good as it can be.

-Rob -->>>

Acutally, as I said in another post, 28 DAYS LATER looked like it was shot on that cool 35 mm film Spielberg used for the action scenes in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and Ridley Scott in GLADIATOR and BLACK HAWK DOWN (better not take it off topic, but do a search on 28 DAYS LATER). Maybe I'm naive, but I had NO idea it was done on a Canon XL-1s (I assume PAL) with 35 mm and HD lenses...

Anyway, I'm happy with the camera, and I've only been screwing around at work.

heath
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #34
High School Student

*Whats the point of Shooting HD and then down rezing to SD? All the details that were there will be lost anyways.*

Shoot in standard SD mode with that JVC and then shoot in HD mode and then downsize that to SD, and guess which one will look better.
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #35
Major Player

Not when there are plenty of SD cameras that excel at producing better SD res images, but feel free to experiment that theory for this particular workflow and please let us know how it turns out.
Old June 30th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #36
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : *Whats the point of Shooting HD and then down rezing to SD? All the details that were there will be lost anyways.*

Uh? Have you ever downsized a picture? It looks better right? Shoot in standard SD mode with that JVC and then shoot in HD mode and then downsize that to SD, and guess which one will look better. It's common sense. -->>>

I don't see a difference on my TV at home now that my station switched from SD to HD. Nothing at all, and the cameras have always been HD. Maybe if I had the HDTV/receiver...

Here's one for you, let's say you're at home in West Palm Beach, Florida, relaxing. You have the latest HDTV and such and ready to watch NewsChannel 5 in 16:9 HD glory! But you don't know that HD camera # 2 is in the shop, temporarly replaced by SD 4:3-only camera # 2. ARGH! Now, I don't know if it's possible, but I wonder if while you're sitting at home, you'll notice one of the most-used cameras isn't in 16:9 and isn't HD (I bet the quality level drops). Something to ask our Chief Engineer.

heath
Old July 1st, 2003, 01:50 PM   #37
Regular Crew

1. downloaded clips
2. downloaded viewer
3. viewed clips
4. placed order for HD10

Thanks Paul, seeing is believing!
Old July 1st, 2003, 01:58 PM   #38
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Raymond Krystof : 1. downloaded clips
2. downloaded viewer
3. viewed clips
4. placed order for HD10

Thanks Paul, seeing is believing! -->>>

I couldn't download the clips on my Apple...of course, my Apple just died (and I'm going to piss off a friend who I've been cutting a video for...).

I downloaded the player, but couldn't access the clips...

Loving my HD10!

heath
Old July 1st, 2003, 05:20 PM   #39
Regular Crew

can't view the files even with the vlc player

Hey guys, trying to watch Paul's clips with the VLC player from videolan. For some reason when it plays it looks horrible, what setting do you have to have to view it properly? Thanks,
Josh M.
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:26 PM   #40
Major Player

Josh, first make sure your screen resolution is set to at least 1280 * (more than 720). Then make sure you have a fast enough PC, you need more than 1.5ghz pentium speed to see smooth 30fps playback, this is a guess but I know that my 800mhz PC isn't fast enough, nor is my dual 450mhz Mac G4. Then play the clips full screen, there is a button on the Videolan player for this and also on the Elecard player if you're on the PC. If you have an HDTV, I'd be interested to know how they look, as I don't have one myself yet.

I hope this helps.

Paul
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:31 PM   #41
MPS Digital Studios

I downloaded the player but every time I click on a clip, I get a page of gibberish writing. I'm using my Apple.

heath
Old July 1st, 2003, 09:01 PM   #42
Major Player

Heath, have you changed the extensions for m2v? if so maybe there was a problem in the transferts, I have no problem reading them on my mac (I have osx though, if you are running os9 that may be the problem...)

Eric
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old July 1st, 2003, 11:54 PM   #43
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : I downloaded the player but every time I click on a clip, I get a page of gibberish writing. I'm using my Apple.

heath -->>>

I get the same text with Safari -- no download starts. Very strange.

As per saturation. Try 15 clicks up in FCP. Looks great.

With FCP 4 most everything can be seen in real-time.
Old July 1st, 2003, 11:56 PM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

Heath: VideoLAN is PC only... not Mac compatible. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 2nd, 2003, 03:13 AM   #45
Regular Crew

VideoLan player is also on Mac. OSX videoLan is on their web site

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Heath: VideoLAN is PC only... not Mac compatible. Hope this helps, -->>>

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U